A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old January 24th 09, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:14:45 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 10:03:53 +0000, Tony Dragon
said in
:

It is difficult not to obsessed by something when you are driving to the
hospital to pick up your daughter from A & E.


Sorry to hear it. Lucky it wasn't a car, really, or it would be
much /much/ worse. Last time I had to take one of my kids to A&E it
was a hammer-related injury. Hammer licensing anyone?

Guy



You are a ****wit Chapman - here are some stats for you

Passenger casualty rates by mode Per billion passenger kilometers

Pedal Cycle : killed or seriously injured : 533
Pedestrian : killed or seriously injured : 381

Now what was that you say about cycling being just as safe as walking?

Another little Chapman fib.

judith

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy
Chapman)
I would challenge judith to find the place where I said I encourage
my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
I pointed out the web page
He then quickly changed the web page - but "forgot" to change the date
of last amendment so it looked like the change had been there for
years.


Ads
  #52  
Old January 24th 09, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly Polly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 145
Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

JNugent wrote:
Tom Crispin wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 00:26:12 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

How many pedestrians *on the pavement* are hit by motorists every
year?
And how many of those motorists are not on the footway because they
have lost control of the vehicle (for whatever reason)?


Are you implying that an out-of-control motorist on the footway poses
less of a danger than a cyclist there on purpose, or that being
out-of-control on a footway is somehow an acceptable if you are a
motorist?


I wasn't implying anything.

I was inviting the PP to consider the common sets of circumstances - and
in particular, the differences in intention.



Well that was long, long read. Not sure what I've learnt, yet. I hope
granny doesn't suffer any long term injuries.
I remain of the view -

The pavement is the sole preserve of the pedestrian

I can't really add to that, without waffling, so I won't
  #53  
Old January 24th 09, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,589
Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:57:54 +0000, Tony Dragon
said in
:

I noticed he has not replied to me either, so I must draw my own
conclusions.


As long as your conclusions are that (a) judith lives in my killfile
and I have promised to keep it there however often it nym-shifts,


I have it on a random kill file, that way I can get to take the **** out
of it when I want to, and if it replies, it never knows if it has been
read and ignored, or just ignored.
  #54  
Old January 24th 09, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,985
Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

Tony Dragon wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Tony Dragon :


Allthough you will call this anecdotal, I have not had to dodge out
of the way of motorist driving on the pavement for as long as I can
remember.
But I often have to dodge a pavement cyclist & just before Christmas
my daughter was knocked over by a pavement cyclist.


And as the figures show, you are many times more likely to be killed
or injured on the footway by a motor vehicle than by a cyclist. So
yes, your anecdote indicates another outlier. Or perhaps people are
so obsessed by pavement cycling that they go out of their way to
remember it.


At the public policy level it is ignorable.


It is difficult not to obsessed by something when you are driving to the
hospital to pick up your daughter from A & E.


Can't you read, or something?

Guy says your daughter's injury is ignorable. As far as he's concerned, she
doesn't matter.

Let that be an end of it.
  #55  
Old January 24th 09, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,985
Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 10:03:53 +0000, Tony Dragon
said in
:

It is difficult not to obsessed by something when you are driving to the
hospital to pick up your daughter from A & E.


Sorry to hear it. Lucky it wasn't a car, really, or it would be
much /much/ worse. Last time I had to take one of my kids to A&E it
was a hammer-related injury. Hammer licensing anyone?


Dunno about that.

How about a law saying that anyone who swings a hammer recklessly in a public
place within a foot of a passer-by is guilty of an offence?
  #56  
Old January 24th 09, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,715
Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

JNugent wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Tony Dragon :


Allthough you will call this anecdotal, I have not had to dodge out
of the way of motorist driving on the pavement for as long as I can
remember.
But I often have to dodge a pavement cyclist & just before Christmas
my daughter was knocked over by a pavement cyclist.


And as the figures show, you are many times more likely to be killed
or injured on the footway by a motor vehicle than by a cyclist. So
yes, your anecdote indicates another outlier. Or perhaps people are
so obsessed by pavement cycling that they go out of their way to
remember it.


At the public policy level it is ignorable.


It is difficult not to obsessed by something when you are driving to
the hospital to pick up your daughter from A & E.


Can't you read, or something?

Guy says your daughter's injury is ignorable. As far as he's concerned,
she doesn't matter.

Let that be an end of it.


I agree, this should be the end of him.

--
Tony the Dragon
  #57  
Old January 24th 09, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,394
Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

"JNugent" wrote in message
...

Can't you read, or something?

Guy says your daughter's injury is ignorable. As far as he's concerned,
she doesn't matter.

Let that be an end of it.


You really talk some utter tripe sometimes.

What you've written above is completely untrue.


  #58  
Old January 24th 09, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,166
Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:00:05 +0000, Tony Dragon
said in
:

Guy says your daughter's injury is ignorable. As far as he's concerned,
she doesn't matter.
Let that be an end of it.


Oh look, an other lie. What I said was that injuries to pedestrians
caused by cyclists are, at a public policy level, ignorable. Which
is true, and is why no government has seen any need to do anything
about it. Want that changed? Write to your MP. I'd start by
lobbying to reduce road danger, so that cyclists did not feel
compelled to ride where they should not. Which would, incidentally,
also reduce the /real/ source of danger to pedestrians. The figures
for footway injuries due to motorists and cyclists have been
published many times now.

I agree, this should be the end of him.


Or it could be the end of this troll-started troll-infested thread.

Guy
--
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
  #59  
Old January 24th 09, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,166
Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 19:43:17 +0000, Marc
said in
:

I have it on a random kill file, that way I can get to take the **** out
of it when I want to, and if it replies, it never knows if it has been
read and ignored, or just ignored.


The problem with that is that it then pretends that its continued
trolling is *your* fault. Whether it is a genuine sociopath or just
an idiot who is boxed into a situation with no graceful way out, I
would not like to call, but every single post it has made here for a
long time has been toxic. It certainly doesn't give a flying ****
about cycling, so we should simply ignore it and get back to the
real business of discussing Marmite.

Guy
--
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
  #60  
Old January 24th 09, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 209
Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:00:05 +0000, Tony Dragon
said in
:

Guy says your daughter's injury is ignorable. As far as he's concerned,
she doesn't matter.
Let that be an end of it.


Oh look, an other lie. What I said was that injuries to pedestrians
caused by cyclists are, at a public policy level, ignorable. Which
is true, and is why no government has seen any need to do anything
about it. Want that changed? Write to your MP. I'd start by
lobbying to reduce road danger, so that cyclists did not feel
compelled to ride where they should not. Which would, incidentally,
also reduce the /real/ source of danger to pedestrians. The figures
for footway injuries due to motorists and cyclists have been
published many times now.

I agree, this should be the end of him.


Or it could be the end of this troll-started troll-infested thread.

Yeah, I do wish you'd stop trolling, Guy.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pavement cyclist killed Tony Raven UK 1 November 4th 06 07:07 PM
Pavement cyclist Colin Blackburn UK 39 September 12th 05 03:43 PM
Tyler hits the pavement one last time [email protected] Racing 0 April 19th 05 12:02 AM
"Pavement cyclist is first to be fined" Pete Bentley UK 19 January 24th 05 01:59 AM
Pavement cyclist falls off. Peter B UK 3 November 24th 03 05:10 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.