A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Washington Post: A Rough Ride for Schwinn Bicycle



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 3rd 04, 11:45 PM
Ed
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Washington Post: A Rough Ride for Schwinn Bicycle

Registration required.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Dec2.html

If you still have not had enough politics enlarge the picture and look at the
lower left corner.

Ads
  #2  
Old December 4th 04, 01:19 AM
Mark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ed wrote:
Registration required.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Dec2.html



No registration needed here...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6642037/
  #3  
Old December 4th 04, 04:17 PM
maxo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:19:54 +0000, Mark wrote:

Ed wrote:
Registration required.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Dec2.html



No registration needed here...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6642037/


You all need bugmenot to bypass such pesky registration.

bugmenot.com

works great with Firefox.

B-)

  #4  
Old December 4th 04, 10:50 PM
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:17:47 GMT, maxo wrote:

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:19:54 +0000, Mark wrote:

Ed wrote:
Registration required.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Dec2.html



No registration needed here...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6642037/


You all need bugmenot to bypass such pesky registration.

bugmenot.com

works great with Firefox.

B-)


Wow, that was depressing. Yup, cheaper bikes but cheaper jobs.
  #5  
Old December 6th 04, 09:47 PM
Scott
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

dgk wrote:
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:17:47 GMT, maxo wrote:


On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:19:54 +0000, Mark wrote:


Ed wrote:


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Dec2.html


No registration needed here...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6642037/



Wow, that was depressing. Yup, cheaper bikes but cheaper jobs.



The articlef left out that Pacfic Bicycle's headquarters
are on a bike path. Well, a MUP, at least. It's also
across the street from Sub-Zero. Just in case you were
wondering

Scott

  #6  
Old December 6th 04, 11:25 PM
Mark Leuck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"dgk" wrote in message
...
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:17:47 GMT, maxo wrote:

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:19:54 +0000, Mark wrote:

Ed wrote:
Registration required.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Dec2.html


No registration needed here...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6642037/


You all need bugmenot to bypass such pesky registration.

bugmenot.com

works great with Firefox.

B-)


Wow, that was depressing. Yup, cheaper bikes but cheaper jobs.


Typical story of an old company that couldn't move with the market


  #7  
Old December 7th 04, 12:33 AM
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:25:27 GMT, "Mark Leuck"
wrote:


"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:17:47 GMT, maxo wrote:

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:19:54 +0000, Mark wrote:

Ed wrote:
Registration required.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Dec2.html


No registration needed here...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6642037/

You all need bugmenot to bypass such pesky registration.

bugmenot.com

works great with Firefox.

B-)


Wow, that was depressing. Yup, cheaper bikes but cheaper jobs.


Typical story of an old company that couldn't move with the market

Really the story of a company that tried to maintain the salary
structure that paid living wages. More good paying jobs gone forever.
  #8  
Old December 7th 04, 01:21 AM
Mark Leuck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"dgk" wrote in message
...

Typical story of an old company that couldn't move with the market

Really the story of a company that tried to maintain the salary
structure that paid living wages. More good paying jobs gone forever.


Re-read the article

"As tastes began to change, however, Schwinn didn't. It continued to churn
out the same heavy, tough-to-maneuver bikes that had been the mainstay of
the industry for decades. "Durable? Yes. Lasts forever? You bet," said Jay
Townley, an industry consultant and former Schwinn executive. "What the
customer wanted? No.""

Schwinn made low-end bikes and that market became saturated, had they tried
to move more upscale things might have been different.

Were they hurt by overseas competition? sure

Did they bring most of it on themselves? yup


  #9  
Old December 7th 04, 04:24 PM
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 01:21:41 GMT, "Mark Leuck"
wrote:


"dgk" wrote in message
.. .

Typical story of an old company that couldn't move with the market

Really the story of a company that tried to maintain the salary
structure that paid living wages. More good paying jobs gone forever.


Re-read the article

"As tastes began to change, however, Schwinn didn't. It continued to churn
out the same heavy, tough-to-maneuver bikes that had been the mainstay of
the industry for decades. "Durable? Yes. Lasts forever? You bet," said Jay
Townley, an industry consultant and former Schwinn executive. "What the
customer wanted? No.""

Schwinn made low-end bikes and that market became saturated, had they tried
to move more upscale things might have been different.

Were they hurt by overseas competition? sure

Did they bring most of it on themselves? yup

Yes, that is in there. I don't really recall Schwinn as being
tough-to-manuever though. I guess that means heavy. I think I did have
a Schwinn when I was a kid.

Right after I read this I was at Target and saw the Stingray. It was
more of a scooter than a bike though. I guess there are more than one
type of Schwinn Stingray.
  #10  
Old December 8th 04, 05:21 AM
Mark Leuck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"dgk" wrote in message
...

Yes, that is in there. I don't really recall Schwinn as being
tough-to-manuever though. I guess that means heavy. I think I did have
a Schwinn when I was a kid.


I too "think" I had a Schwinn when I was a kid and that was much of the
problem, had they gone more upscale we would have continued buying them as
we grew older and desired better equipment. by looking at bike technology in
the last 20 years you won't find Schwinn anywere, they didn't do performance
like many others

If I remember correctly my Schwinn was a hand-me-down


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
2004 Mayors' Ride FINAL Report Cycle America Rides 0 August 5th 04 04:21 PM
Reports from Sweden Garry Jones General 17 October 14th 03 05:23 PM
Tour of the Alps 2003 [email protected] Rides 2 September 15th 03 04:52 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.