Botero's role in today's stage

Old July 22nd 03, 05:12 PM
Nick Burns

Default Botero's role in today's stage

"Raptor" wrote in message ...
Nick Burns wrote:
After LA and Jan took off, Botero was called back to wait for Vino.

Botero
was off the front and second on the road about 2 minutes behind the lone
breakaway.

What in the hell did he hope to accomplish that was more important that
watching out for Vino?

What in the hell in wrong with the Telekom team? They don't seem to know

how
to put together a cohesive team. They have Zabel looking for stage wins

and
possibly the green jersey (too late now, but earlier that would have

been
his goal). They have Vino, who is by far the most successful rider this

year
and he was only 18 seconds out of first place and THREE SECONDS from

second.
Why couldn't Botero have been riding in the group helping Vinokourov? He
would have kept Vino from losing as much time on the Tourmalet and

possibly
they would have arrived at the bottom of the final climb with the other

2
leaders. I have heard no discussion of this. I was always a fan of

Botero
but this is terrible.

Vino deserves much better.

What's different between this and USPS's tactics of 2 and 3 stages ago?

What is different is that USPS has 3 strong climbers. Send one up and the 2
others can stay with Armstrong. AND, the USPS riders were not riding solo.
They were sitting in on a break. Vino was left ALONE when they had a choice.
Lance was never left alone while his team was up the road.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old July 22nd 03, 06:22 PM
Steve McGinty

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:07:35 GMT, "Nick Burns"
wrote:

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

"Donald Munro" wrote in message
I think they'll reconsider before letting Botero choose his training
regimen. Apparently he chose to race in S. America to get ready for

the
tour, and that obviously wasn't enough. Botero has done enough grand

tours
to know how hard the Tour is. I know the colombian mountains are

reputed
to be very tough, but it seems they aren't quite enough to get you

ready
for the Alps and the Pyrenees!

Also its winter here in the southern hemisphere so he would not have
been heat acclimitised. On top of that he does not have nearly enough
racing miles in his legs this season.

Colombia sits pretty close to the equator. There are plenty of places in
South America to race year round.

In addition, he was said to have followed the same program as always. There
is something about him that is not widely know. This is a huge
disappointment for his fans.

Especially those of us who had a fiver on him at 20-1. Damn, my bookie
must look forward to July sooooo much.

Regards!
Stephen
Old July 22nd 03, 06:48 PM
Nev Shea

(Donald Munro) wrote in
m:

Also its winter here in the southern hemisphere so he would not have
been heat acclimitised. On top of that he does not have nearly enough
racing miles in his legs this season.

Hey dumbass

Here's a map of South America:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ameri...rica_ref02.jpg

Botero is from Medellin, Columbia -- you can see that it is just barely
north of the equator, so why are you talking about winter in the southern
hemisphere? And why should someone who lives near the equator have a
problem with the heat? (assuming he didn't spend all day inside air
conditioned rooms)

NS
Old July 22nd 03, 07:04 PM
Raptor

Nick Burns wrote:
"Raptor" wrote in message ...
What's different between this and USPS's tactics of 2 and 3 stages ago?

What is different is that USPS has 3 strong climbers. Send one up and the 2
others can stay with Armstrong. AND, the USPS riders were not riding solo.
They were sitting in on a break. Vino was left ALONE when they had a choice.
Lance was never left alone while his team was up the road.

And Botero wasn't highly placed, I realize. So the tactic didn't have
the same affect on the peloton. But Telekom wasn't going to save any
pace-making work anyway with LANCE and Jan fighting it out.

Old July 22nd 03, 07:22 PM
Carl Sundquist

"Nev Shea" wrote in message
thlink.net...
(Donald Munro) wrote in
m:

Also its winter here in the southern hemisphere so he would not have
been heat acclimitised. On top of that he does not have nearly enough
racing miles in his legs this season.

Hey dumbass

Here's a map of South America:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ameri...rica_ref02.jpg

Botero is from Medellin, Columbia -- you can see that it is just barely
north of the equator, so why are you talking about winter in the southern
hemisphere? And why should someone who lives near the equator have a
problem with the heat? (assuming he didn't spend all day inside air
conditioned rooms)

Actually, it isn't quite as simple as that. Though I can't recall the
altitude for Medellin (it is nestled in a valley between mountains), someone
from Bogotá, which is at about 9000 ft, would have trouble with heat _if
that is where they stayed most of the time_.

Even the old Pony Malta team had a training house in Bogotá.

If a rider wasn't based in the high mountains though, they would be plenty
acclimatized to the heat, and a humid heat at that.

Old July 22nd 03, 09:42 PM
Carl Sundquist

"Nev Shea" wrote in message

I think Botero's problem is that he's got a naturally high testosterone
level, and he's just worn out because all the Columbian babes have been
chasing him.

Lucky him.

Old July 22nd 03, 09:48 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:58:03 GMT, Nev Shea wrote:
I think Botero's problem is that he's got a naturally high testosterone
level, and he's just worn out because all the Columbian babes have been
chasing him.

Colombian. But good point.
Old July 22nd 03, 11:04 PM
Nick Burns

"Nev Shea" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
"Carl Sundquist" wrote in
:

"Nev Shea" wrote in message
thlink.net...
(Donald Munro) wrote in
m:

[...]

Of course you're right --there were two silly posts in a row, and I was
lazy and just chose to mock the one that assumed that South America
automatically means southern hemisphere and keep it simple so I wouldn't
confuse all but the more thoughtful readers like you and a few others.

The previous poster believes that proper training in the Andes wouldn't
prepare Botero for the Pyrenees or Alps, and your comments on the
altitude contradict that notion. Besides, Botero claimed to be following
the preparation he's always used, so did the Andes somehow become less
challenging since he got 4th on GC last year? If so, let's blame it on
El Nino.

I think Botero's problem is that he's got a naturally high testosterone
level, and he's just worn out because all the Columbian babes have been
chasing him.

NS

More like gangsters. There are many many people that leave Colombia because
high visibility is dangerous in a country that has organized criminals that
do nothing else but kidnap people for ransom the way that Al Capone
organized the bootlegging.

Old July 23rd 03, 10:18 AM
Donald Munro

Donald Munro wrote:
Also its winter here in the southern hemisphere so he would not have
been heat acclimitised. On top of that he does not have nearly enough
racing miles in his legs this season.

Nev Shea wrote:
Hey dumbass

From previous posts by you I had thought you were more intelligent than to
ape this infantile dumbass posting style.

Here's a map of South America:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ameri...rica_ref02.jpg

And here is a link to a description of Columbia's geography that indicates
that the mountaineous regions are much cooler with many mountains
permanenly covered in snow:
http://www.ddg.com/LIS/aurelia/colgeo1.htm

And here is an interview with Botero indicating that he is training in the
mountains :
http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/20...s/?id=botero02
In particular note his reply on training in Colombia:
'SB: I like to prepare
myself in Colombia where I have the best terrain to train with climbs
reaching 8,000 feet, and nice spring weather all year round in my
hometown, Medellěn. Plus I have got suitable people to help me prepare.
The team has understood that, and they know that for me it is very
important. After the first training camp I will return to carry on with my
preparation in Colombia.'

Note he says spring weather which does not normally include 35C-40C
weather encountered in the Tour this year.

Oh and BTW in a later response you say: 'The previous poster believes that
proper training in the Andes wouldn't prepare Botero for the Pyrenees or
Alps'

Pray tell me where I said anything of that nature. My only critiscm of
his training was that he did not get enough racing miles in his legs, a
fact that seems fairly self evident judging by his performance.

I am so sorry for making such a silly post, and I realise that I am not
worthy of critiscm from such a thoughtful and intelligent person as you
evidently are.