EZ-3 USX accessories

Old October 10th 07, 05:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Alex

Default EZ-3 USX accessories

I've been thinking about getting a trike for several months, and
today a test ride on a Sun EZ-3 USX at Wheelworks in Belmont,
Mass. I now know what the "recumbent grin" feels like
first-hand.

The shop's recumbent guy was out; I plan to go back when he's in
and make my decision then. But in the mean time, I'm hoping the
collective wisdom of the list can help me out with a few
questions.

1) mirror: I definitely want to get a mirror; if anyone has a
specific recommendation, I'd appreciate it.

2) fenders: seems to me fenders would be essential if I'm going
to be anything other than a fair-weather rider. Sun's catalog
claims they have a fender sets, but there are no pictures.
Looking at the trike, I can't for the life of me figure out
how you'd mount fenders, unless there's some elaborate bracket
involved. Which raises several questions:

- If you have the fender set: How does it mount? Is it
reasonably sturdy? Do they get in the way of mounting other
things behind the seat?

- If you don't, and ride in wet weather: how much do you end
up splashing yourself?

3) carrying stuff: I'm trying to go car-free, so I'd like to be
able to carry a couple of bags of groceries. I'd also like to
be able to keep using my existing panniers.

The Sun catalog shows a wire basket for behind the seat, that
looks like it ought to be big enough for a couple of bags of
groceries. But it's not possible from the catalog to tell how
sturdy it is. If you've used it, I'd love to know what you
think of it.

Has anyone mounted a front rack? Do you know the make and model?
Are you able to mount conventional panniers on it?

4) water bottle mounts: I'm still scratching my head over the
braze-ons behind the seat --- and the lack of any on the frame.
Does anyone have a better solution for mounting a water bottle
than velcro straps?

I'm sure there are questions I ought to be asking that haven't even
crossed my mind. Any advice or cautionary tales will be much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

---Alex
xela AT yakshavers.net