Troll posts to various cycling newsgroups

Old September 22nd 06, 03:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
JimmyMac

Default Troll posts to various cycling newsgroups

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
By "Edward Dolan". These troll posts have been reported to:
along with full headers. I recommend all people who see "Edward Dolan's"
posts also email
with similar complaints.

Anyone can post to whatever newsgroup they want and say anything they want
within reason.

Imperceptive, you often misinterpret much of what you read. Allow me
to suggest that you review your ISP's Terms of Agreement, Acceptable
Use Policy. You will discover that should your Usenet newsgroup
behavior be brought to their attention and should your ISP decide to
enforce their policy and take action, you will soon learn just how much
you opinions are valued in the real world.

But Alan is a net nanny who thinks he knows who can say what.
He should get on a moderated forum where others can censor him and those who
think like him.

We used to have a jerk like this on ARBR but he soon realized the futility
of trying to dictate who could say what.

Don't be so hard on yourself Ed. Besides, unfortunately you're still
here.

Jim McNamara

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old September 22nd 06, 01:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Buck

Resound wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Mr. Erskine, would you please cease harassing my friend Ed Dolan? I
really think a lot of him, and I dote on his every word. Thank you.
Triangular Fred

Triangle Man! Have you resolved your differences with Person Man yet?

Be careful, Universe Man is watching.

I never thought I would see a post about TMBG here! HAH!

-Buck

Old September 27th 06, 03:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Anyone can post to whatever newsgroup they want and say anything they
want
within reason.

Imperceptive, you often misinterpret much of what you read. Allow me
to suggest that you review your ISP's Terms of Agreement, Acceptable
Use Policy. You will discover that should your Usenet newsgroup
behavior be brought to their attention and should your ISP decide to
enforce their policy and take action, you will soon learn just how much
you opinions are valued in the real world.

All anyone has to do is read what goes on on any newsgroup. I can't think of
anything that is not acceptable. Most trolls are just spammers - but the
defining characteristic of all trolls is their idiocy. I have never known a
troll who was not an idiot. The only thing more pathetic than a troll is a
stalker. Anyone recognize anyone here?

Old September 27th 06, 04:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
di

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:doqdnT90KYDhFofYnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

All anyone has to do is read what goes on on any newsgroup. I can't think
of anything that is not acceptable. Most trolls are just spammers - but
the defining characteristic of all trolls is their idiocy. I have never
known a troll who was not an idiot. The only thing more pathetic than a
troll is a stalker. Anyone recognize anyone here?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

You are describing yourself, Troll, idiocy, pathetic, stalker they all
fit.

Old September 27th 06, 04:47 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Travis

Alan Erskine wrote:
By "Edward Dolan". These troll posts have been reported to:
along with full headers. I recommend all people who see "Edward Dolan's"
posts also email
with similar complaints.

On this topic, I have a friend who is a web developer who is always
looking for ideas to get into. I pitched an idea to him for creating a
troll-free usenet gateway but he isn't convinced of its merits because
he thinks Usenet is a dying medium.

My idea was basically that we'd create a Usenet gateway not unlike
Google Groups, but with a twist.

We'd start by appointing ourselves and a few trustworthy people from
the newsgroups we post to as moderators.

The moderators don't (and can't) actually block troll posts from going
out to Usenet, but they are blocked from our site. People reading
through our site will be given various options including the ability to
view the newsgroups in fully filtered, flagged and unfiltered states.

But the interestign bit is that anyone can be a moderator. Moderators
vote in new moderators, if there aren't enough moderators in a
newsgroup (say, 5) to have an internal vote, random moderators from
other newsgroups (especially related ones) would be randomly drafted in
by the system to review the wannabe's posting record and establish that
they're a good guy or a troll.

Similarly, moderators could be voted out if they turn out to abuse
their power (for instance if a troll were somehow able to get himself
granted moderator status and then went about being a nuisance.)

A system of seniority (based on time as a moderator and some sort of
voting system) would measure the trust levels of each moderator and
could be a modifier in votes, i.e. highly trusted moderator's votes
would count for more than a recently appointed moderator.

I envisage something like a Wikipedia type system where the community
as a whole work to keep the system clean of vandalism.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

(If so, please say so in this thread, and I'll point this out to my
skeptical web developer friend who might be tempted to knock together
some kind of beta...)

Travis

Old September 27th 06, 05:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
SMS

Alan Erskine wrote:
By "Edward Dolan". These troll posts have been reported to:
along with full headers.

The chance of any ISP doing anything is about zero.

I recommend all people who see "Edward Dolan's"
posts also email
with similar complaints.

Most of us don't see his posts because he's been kill-filed. Outlook,
Thunderbird, and I presume most other non-web based newsgroup readers,
make it easy to filter out people like Ed.
Old September 27th 06, 07:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc

Edward Dolan wrote:
"JimmyMac" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Anyone can post to whatever newsgroup they want and say anything they
want
within reason.

Imperceptive, you often misinterpret much of what you read. Allow me
to suggest that you review your ISP's Terms of Agreement, Acceptable
Use Policy. You will discover that should your Usenet newsgroup
behavior be brought to their attention and should your ISP decide to
enforce their policy and take action, you will soon learn just how much
you opinions are valued in the real world.

All anyone has to do is read what goes on on any newsgroup. I can't think of
anything that is not acceptable. Most trolls are just spammers - but the
defining characteristic of all trolls is their idiocy. I have never known a
troll who was not an idiot.

Dont' be so hard on yourself. What you need to read is your ISP's
Terms of Agreement, Acceptable Use Policy so that you will understand
that you are in violation. - Jim McNamara

Old September 27th 06, 08:12 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Alan Erskine

"Travis" wrote in message
ups.com...

I envisage something like a Wikipedia type system where the community
as a whole work to keep the system clean of vandalism.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

(If so, please say so in this thread, and I'll point this out to my
skeptical web developer friend who might be tempted to knock together
some kind of beta...)

I like the latter part of it; if ISP's were more responsible/accountable,
trolls like ED would be less tolerated.

In addition, if usenet (newsgroups) were dying out, why are so many new
groups being created? The aus. groups don't grow very quickly, but they are
getting more and more traffic.

--
Alan Erskine