Bike hire

Old August 8th 03, 12:16 AM
Fraggle

Default Bike hire

"Jonathan Stafford" wrote in news:EVAYa.2838
:

Hey group
Is there a bike hire shop in Caernarfon? Details would be appreciated.
Jonathan

yell.com gives 2. I have no idea if they are any real or not.

Beics Beddgelert
Hafod Ruffydd Uchaf Beddgelert
Caernarfon Gwynedd
LL55 4UU

Tel: 01766 890434

Beics Menai
1, Slate Quay
Caernarfon Gwynedd
LL55 2PB

Tel: 01286 676804

Fragg
Old August 8th 03, 08:06 AM
Michael MacClancy

In message , Fraggle
writes
"Jonathan Stafford" wrote in news:EVAYa.2838
:

Hey group
Is there a bike hire shop in Caernarfon? Details would be appreciated.
Jonathan

yell.com gives 2. I have no idea if they are any real or not.

Beics Beddgelert
Hafod Ruffydd Uchaf Beddgelert
Caernarfon Gwynedd
LL55 4UU

Tel: 01766 890434

Beics Menai
1, Slate Quay
Caernarfon Gwynedd
LL55 2PB

Tel: 01286 676804

Fragg

It looks like the Welsh for bike is 'beic'. Very original! I've always
wondered to what extent Welsh suffers from creeping anglicisation. I'm
sure that I've heard phrases like "Barry John yn scorio try" or "(many
Welsh words) hydroelectric power station (many more Welsh words)". And,
of course, there are words like 'sospan' and 'tebot'. Perhaps one of
our Welsh speakers could enlighten me.
--
Michael MacClancy

(Born and raised in Cardiff but knowledge of our national language
unfortunately limited to two years of school lessons.)

www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
Old August 8th 03, 08:29 AM
Tony W

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message

It looks like the Welsh for bike is 'beic'. Very original! I've always
wondered to what extent Welsh suffers from creeping anglicisation. I'm
sure that I've heard phrases like "Barry John yn scorio try" or "(many
Welsh words) hydroelectric power station (many more Welsh words)". And,
of course, there are words like 'sospan' and 'tebot'. Perhaps one of
our Welsh speakers could enlighten me.

While there is, of course, no reason for Wales other than somewhere to keep
all the sheep shaggers and a very good place to cycle (that should get the
flame throwers out in force), there is a massive amount of commonality and
borrowing between all the Indo European languages. A basic word such as
Father can be traced in various recognisable forms form western Europe
through to the Indian sub continent. (Vater, Pater etc. and, via
corruptions to Pere etc.)

So the tendency for the Welsh to 'borrow' words from their more powerful
neighbour is understandable.

PS -- it is revealing that you go back to the 70's for Barry John scorio
try -- since no sheep shagger has scorioed any significant tryo sinceo
boyo!!

: )

Old August 8th 03, 08:34 AM
Jonathan Stafford

Thanking Michael and the Fragg for their help. Watch out Wales we are on
our way, well for a quiet week camping and cycling anyway!

Old August 8th 03, 12:33 PM
Mike K Smith

Jim Price wrote:
=

Tony W wrote:
=

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message

It looks like the Welsh for bike is 'beic'. Very original!

Unlike bicycle, a good English word that, no borrowings from Greek or
Lastin there, no sir!

I'm sure I remember 'deurod' being used for bicycle in some Welsh textboo=
ks
about 30 years ago, though.

So if I referred to a LBS, would I be using an English or Welsh
abreviation? (local is lleol)

Wouldn't it be SBLl in Welsh (Si=F4p Beic Lleol)?

PS -- it is revealing that you go back to the 70's for Barry John sco=

rio
try -- since no sheep shagger has scorioed any significant tryo since=

boyo!!

=

Well, there was Neil Kinnock on a beach...

I reckon Nicole Cooke should be the new Welsh sporting idol, myself!

Note to the original poster, the shop below appears to be just outside
Beddgelert, about 10 miles from Caernarfon.

Beics Beddgelert
Hafod Ruffydd Uchaf Beddgelert
Caernarfon Gwynedd
LL55 4UU

Tel: 01766 890434

Mike (or should that be Meic?)
Old August 8th 03, 12:37 PM
Disgruntled Goat

Default OT: Bike hire

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 12:24:47 +0100, Jim Price
wrote:

Bad choice of example, as you seem to think the Welsh have none. In fact
every Welsh person has several, as per the song "Land of my fathers".

Is that the one that goes...

My hen laid a haddock,
one hand oiled a flea,
Glad farts and centurions
threw dogs in the sea
I could stew a hare here and
brandish Dan's flan,
Don's ruddy bog's blocked
up with sand.

Chorus:
Dad! Dad! Why don't you
oil Auntie Gad?
Can't whores appear in beer
bottle pies?
O butter the hens
as they fly!

--
DG

Bah!
Old August 8th 03, 12:46 PM
Michael MacClancy

In message , Jim Price
writes
I've always
wondered to what extent Welsh suffers from creeping anglicisation.

Ditto, and vice versa.

How many instances are there of Welsh words being commonly used in
English?
--
Michael MacClancy

www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
Old August 8th 03, 01:11 PM
Michael MacClancy

In message , Mike K Smith
writes
"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message

It looks like the Welsh for bike is 'beic'. Very original!

Unlike bicycle, a good English word that, no borrowings from Greek or
Lastin there, no sir!

Quite, but I would have thought that Welsh would try to avoid
anglicisation in the same way as French does. The theory being that
maintaining a unique identity does a lot to ensure continued use. If
Welsh gradually became a sort of English dialect fewer people would
probably bother speaking it than do at the moment. I'm sure that it's
possible to use a more Welsh word than 'beic'. There are a lot of
borrowed words in German but the Germans still have the word 'Fahrrad'
for everyday use.
--
Michael MacClancy

www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
Old August 8th 03, 01:14 PM
Jim Price

wrote:

Bad choice of example, as you seem to think the Welsh have none. In fact
every Welsh person has several, as per the song "Land of my fathers".

Is that the one that goes...

My hen laid a haddock,
one hand oiled a flea,
Glad farts and centurions
threw dogs in the sea
I could stew a hare here and
brandish Dan's flan,
Don's ruddy bog's blocked
up with sand.

Chorus:
Dad! Dad! Why don't you

^^^^^^^^^
Yep, all the evidence you need. Also proves "Barry" John "Two Dads"
Prescott is Welsh.

oil Auntie Gad?
Can't whores appear in beer
bottle pies?
O butter the hens
as they fly!

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Old August 8th 03, 01:46 PM
Michael MacClancy

In message , Jim Price
writes
I gave one example, and also said I wasn't keeping score. Your nan can
give you another (nain).

Shop doesn't count. It's origins are in German and French. I bet it
was used in English before entering Welsh. Apparently the origin of
'nan' lies in the Greek 'nanna'. As above regarding which language used
it first.

I did hear one person theorise that there were no Welsh swear words.
This may be because the English have them on loan.

Ffwl = Fool
******* = ******* (obviously means "someone not of welsh descendency")
Cont = a rather more rude word
Hwran = whore
Cach = $#!+ - I wonder if English people are aware of the connotations
of phrases like "clearing the cack from my throat")

Thanks for your assistance in helping us swear in Welsh. We can
obviously do so by just speaking English. None of these words above
have Welsh origins, I believe.

--
Michael MacClancy

www.macclancy.demon.co.uk