Revitalizing A.R.B.R - suggested methods

Old November 13th 04, 12:21 AM
War On Error

Wow. Out of 4 responses so far, 2 are obvious trolls. I'm not responding
to them; but commenting on trolls in general, which are apparently in
abundance here...

It's a real shame that trolls are so hateful and arrogant that they waste
their time - and ours - purely for the purpose of ruining newsgroups like
A.R.B.R for everyone. People like this are eaten away inside, depressed,
lonely, bored and unmotivated. Shun them like the insecure, immature bullies
that they are. They need therapy, but I'm not here to give it to them. I'm
here to talk about recumbent bikes.

WOE

"War On Error" wrote in message
newspXkd.88124$R05.44815@attbi_s53...
Here are some suggested methods for revitalizing A.R.B.R:

- Do not feed trolls. Ever.
- Obvious off-topic threads should be ignored and/or moved to another NG.
- Persistent trolls should be killfiled/blocked/plonked with prejudice.
- Advertise our revitalization effort on relevant web boards.
- Start as many interesting threads as you can.
- Make a point to actively participate in polite, on-topic discussions.
- "Lively" discussion - on topic - is good, but harassment is not.
- Overtly rude, antisocial people should be ignored and/or killfiled.
- Let's keep spelling and grammar policing to a minimum (Hi Tom! ;-)
- Do not engage trolls or rude people *at all*. That's what they're
looking for.
- I repeat: Don't respond to rude OT threads, no matter how provocative.

I really like A.R.B.R. It's a shame to let a few rude people ruin it for
those of us who are here to discuss recumbents. This is a community. In
a community, social mores are observed, and anti-social behavior is
punished. We need to use tried-and-true methods to rid ourselves of the
antisocial element. Let them cry about restrictions of free speech on
alt.thread-crapping.trolls.d ;-) There are thousands of newsgroups. Let
them find the right one on their own. That's not our job.

I am publicly asking for posts from you "lurkers" out there. Don't be
afraid of the trolls, just ignore them. If you don't know how to block
the trollse (so you won't see their posts), just ask. You need newsreader
software; but it's free. All Windows PC's come with Internet Express,
which is what I have used for many years. There are other newsreaders
available for free if you use a Mac.

I realize that this is technically an off-topic posting. I hope you'll
forgive this infraction, and let me stick around. I'm incognito for now;
but I've been posting on A.R.B.R for about 6 years. I want to help
nurture it back to health. I hope you agree. It's going to be a long
winter for some of us. I hope we can all keep warm with great stories,
inspiring ideas, tricky questions, helpful hints, and solid advice.
That's what we're here for, isn't it?

WOE

Old November 13th 04, 01:23 AM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 04:58:11 GMT, "War On Error"
wrote:

[...]

The kill-filter is everyone's best defense against OT's, trolls, and
any other idiot postings. I hang around in some pretty slimy groups
and I'd hate to think how big my kill filter is.
Old November 13th 04, 03:13 AM
Christopher Jordan

"Edward Dolan"

Oh, *NOW* I think I am on the right list. Seems that some people
confuse Recumbents with Retards (can't figure out what that R is for),
and cut off posts repeating what everyone else already wrote and
chopping off valuable words of wisdom because the page has no room for
them.

Hmm. Maybe I *AM* on the Retard list. 'Scuse me, I'm outta here.

Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.
Old November 13th 04, 04:51 AM
Steve Fox

War On Error wrote:

[...]

I'm with you WOE. Just started my filters with guess who!?

Steve

--
Steve Fox
McKinleyville, CA
Old November 13th 04, 05:25 AM
War On Error

"Steve Fox" wrote in message
War On Error wrote:

[...]

Glad to hear it, Steve.

BTW: I had a look at your *excellent* website. Your recumbent travelogues
are inspiring. Must have been the adventure of a lifetime.

I'm thinking of touring a European country by recumbent in the next year or
so (probably Italy). It won't be anything like your epic adventures,
though.

Are you planning any more long tours?

WOE

Steve

Old November 13th 04, 09:12 AM
G. Morgan

On 12 Nov 2004 16:11:15 -0800 "Laurel Thomason"
used 6 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Some of the trolls live in Worthington, Minnesota. A google search of
"edward dolan minnesota" will return their address. Maybe it's time
for gift subscriptions of popular magazines. Or friendly phone calls
inquiring into how they are doing? Or perhaps contacting their ISP
about their behavior. Or contacting their employer. The options are
limitless.

That dickhead Robert Bass did all of the above to me. If he tries
anything like that again I won't be so forgiving.

Only a total retard does **** like that. You must be one.

--
-Graham

"What I have mostly against middle aged white liberals like you is that you do not know how to hate the proper
people." -Ed Dolan
Old November 13th 04, 09:13 AM
G. Morgan

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:21:55 GMT "War On Error"
used 60 lines of text to write in newsgroup:
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Wow. Out of 4 responses so far, 2 are obvious trolls. I'm not responding
to them; but commenting on trolls in general, which are apparently in
abundance here...

It's a real shame that trolls are so hateful and arrogant that they waste
their time - and ours - purely for the purpose of ruining newsgroups like
A.R.B.R for everyone. People like this are eaten away inside, depressed,
lonely, bored and unmotivated. Shun them like the insecure, immature bullies
that they are. They need therapy, but I'm not here to give it to them. I'm
here to talk about recumbent bikes.

Nobody is preventing you from talking about recumbent bikes. All the
threads about bikes are on-topic. Quit your whining.

Old November 13th 04, 11:01 AM
Edward Dolan

"War On Error" wrote in message
newsscld.500128$mD.123804@attbi_s02...
Wow. Out of 4 responses so far, 2 are obvious trolls. I'm not responding
to them; but commenting on trolls in general, which are apparently in
abundance here...

It's a real shame that trolls are so hateful and arrogant that they waste
their time - and ours - purely for the purpose of ruining newsgroups like
A.R.B.R for everyone. People like this are eaten away inside, depressed,
lonely, bored and unmotivated. Shun them like the insecure, immature
bullies that they are. They need therapy, but I'm not here to give it to
them. I'm here to talk about recumbent bikes.

WOE

All top posters are idiots!

Woe is me too! Can't you at least confine your preaching to Sunday like all
the other preachers. I can tell you from long experience that everyone hates
a preacher who does not confine his preaching to the pulpit on Sundays in
church to which others have voluntarily submitted themselves. You are worse
than a hundred trolls. You are worse because you are so g.d. boring.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old November 13th 04, 11:08 AM
Edward Dolan

"Laurel Thomason" wrote in message
m...
Some of the trolls live in Worthington, Minnesota. A google search of
"edward dolan minnesota" will return their address. Maybe it's time
for gift subscriptions of popular magazines. Or friendly phone calls
inquiring into how they are doing? Or perhaps contacting their ISP
about their behavior. Or contacting their employer. The options are
limitless.

All top posters are idiots!

Do you really want to test the proposition that you are a crazier *******
than me?

By the way, are you a man or a woman? If you are a man, then of course you
are a dumb son of a bitch, but if you are a woman, then you are just a dumb
bitch. God! I hate these names that can go either way.