sorry, Ed Dolan

Old December 3rd 04, 06:47 PM
Christopher Jordan

Default sorry, Ed Dolan

I am sorry I complained about your posts. I was wrong saying you were
"off the wall" busting up the 'bent group. I can only feel sadness
and pity at this time.

Yo do not hold a candle to jonny-no-brain. Talk about out of line!

Racing is for losers in my opinion, as other people think I am a loser
hating competition.

Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.
Old December 3rd 04, 07:18 PM
skip

"Christopher Jordan" wrote in message
om...
I am sorry I complained about your posts. I was wrong saying you were
"off the wall" busting up the 'bent group. I can only feel sadness
and pity at this time.

Yo do not hold a candle to jonny-no-brain. Talk about out of line!

Racing is for losers in my opinion, as other people think I am a loser
hating competition.

Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.

I hope the monkeys realize it's not an
impossibility to set up their own Usenet group if that's what they want.

Usenet needs an alt.rec.monkey.bicycle.racing.

Old December 3rd 04, 08:10 PM
Edward Dolan

"skip" wrote in message

"Christopher Jordan" wrote in message
om...
I am sorry I complained about your posts. I was wrong saying you were
"off the wall" busting up the 'bent group. I can only feel sadness
and pity at this time.

Yo do not hold a candle to jonny-no-brain. Talk about out of line!

Racing is for losers in my opinion, as other people think I am a loser
hating competition.

Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.

I hope the monkeys realize it's not an
impossibility to set up their own Usenet group if that's what they want.

Usenet needs an alt.rec.monkey.bicycle.racing.

I thought there was an alt.rec.bicycles.racing. Would not this be a suitable
group for those who think going fast and racing is what life is all about.

I have always been very careful not to monopolize subject threads by doing
any original posting since I will admit I am mostly off topic all the time.
The Google page is now a mess because of someone who posts nothing but the
purest nonsense. I do not use the Google page anymore myself since I have
discovered my Outlook Express newsreader, but I did use it for at least a
year when I first came on this group. I admit I would be turned off by that
page the way it looks now.

I think an original post must be more careful than a response type of post.
I will not normally even do a response until I figure the thread has been
ruined or it was an off topic thread to begin with. I have always tried to
be responsible and to be considerate of everyone else here on ARBR. My posts
are mostly buried deep within a thread and you have to look to find me. That
is the way I want it so that I am not interfering with on topic posts. Mr.
Sherman is considerate that way too as are most others.

I want to treat others the way I would want to be treated. That is what is
known as civilized behavior and it is just good manners. Furthermore, I
always try to say something intelligent, though I don't always succeed. I
want to entertain and enlighten those who read me, not just create a lot of
ruckus for no purpose. And finally, I am not a one note Johnny. I do not
believe in beating a horse to death. One or two blows should be sufficient
for anyone.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

PS. Chris is right about competition. It is the biggest bore ever invented
by the mind of man and is essentially for childish and juvenile mentalities.
All accomplishment is the result of cooperation, not competition. Any adult
who does not know this is retarded.

Old December 3rd 04, 08:34 PM
skip

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"skip" wrote in message

"Christopher Jordan" wrote in message
om...
I am sorry I complained about your posts. I was wrong saying you were
"off the wall" busting up the 'bent group. I can only feel sadness
and pity at this time.

Yo do not hold a candle to jonny-no-brain. Talk about out of line!

Racing is for losers in my opinion, as other people think I am a loser
hating competition.

Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.

I hope the monkeys realize it's not an
impossibility to set up their own Usenet group if that's what they want.

Usenet needs an alt.rec.monkey.bicycle.racing.

I thought there was an alt.rec.bicycles.racing. Would not this be a
suitable group for those who think going fast and racing is what life is
all about.

snip

I don't know Ed. It's a pretty rough crowd over in alt.rec.bicycles.racing.
I'm not sure monkeys could survive for long in that kind of hostile
environment. I think monkeys would be happier on an island of their own.

Old December 3rd 04, 09:28 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:10:39 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

I thought there was an alt.rec.bicycles.racing. Would not this be a suitable
group for those who think going fast and racing is what life is all about.

The mostly ride upwrongs, poor benighted souls that they are.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old December 3rd 04, 11:40 PM
G. Morgan

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:10:39 -0600 "Edward Dolan"
used 63 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

All accomplishment is the result of cooperation, not competition.

Not true.

I'm thinking of the recent X-prize (the 10 million dollar competition to get a
private spaceship aloft 100KM twice, no governments allowed)

Orteig Prize - (1919) $25,000 to the team who could fly non-stop between New
York and Paris (Charles Lindbergh won)

The space race between USA and USSR 1950's-1970's

The rivalries of aeronautic companies to produce the next generation fighter
planes.

The list is endless. Healthy competition is what gives rise to true innovation.

I'm sometimes dis-gruntled but I can't say I've ever felt "gruntled"
Old December 4th 04, 12:49 AM
Edward Dolan

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:10:39 -0600 "Edward Dolan"
used 63 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

All accomplishment is the result of cooperation, not competition.

Not true.

I'm thinking of the recent X-prize (the 10 million dollar competition to
get a
private spaceship aloft 100KM twice, no governments allowed)

Orteig Prize - (1919) $25,000 to the team who could fly non-stop between
New
York and Paris (Charles Lindbergh won)

The space race between USA and USSR 1950's-1970's

The rivalries of aeronautic companies to produce the next generation
fighter
planes.

The list is endless. Healthy competition is what gives rise to true
innovation.

You are talking about group competition, not individual competition. That is
what I am talking about too.

Before you get to the actual competition (almost a sporting event and not
much more) an enormous amount of cooperation has first taken place among men
working in groups. The competition is normally just splitting hairs and not
significant. Cooperation is at the basis of all man's activities. Even you
mention the word "team". That just about says it all. Show me a lone
individual competing for much of anything and I will show you a forlorn
enterprise.

It might be argued that great artists are lone individuals competing with
one another for the approval of the musical public, but even here these lone
individuals are enmeshed in what has come before them and they are standing
on the shoulders of giants. In short, they are working in a social milieu
which determines how they are going to behave and what they are going to
produce. I am not much for the importance of the individual in the
interpretation of history.

I will say with respect to science and technological innovations, it does
not matter a whit whether any individual ever lived or not. Those advances
are going to take place irrespective of individuals. Science and technology
are essentially a cooperative enterprise of a society as a whole. A man like
Edison could not have even existed in a society like that of Afghanistan. He
was not a lone genius and if he had never existed every invention of his
would have been invented anyhow.

Science is a bit different than art in this respect, but not altogether
different. Even if Beethoven had never lived, the chances are very good that
we would have had some music that sounded very much like his did in the
mid-nineteenth century. There is an inevitability about things once they
get launched and things get launched by society as a whole, not by
individuals. Competition is just passing out prizes and patting ourselves on
the back. All the real work is done by men working in groups. It is always a
team effort and cooperation is at the basis of it all.

This is also why I do not subscribe to the theory of the great man of
history, whether it be Hitler, Napoleon or whoever. The times will create
it's own figures to represent what is to happen based on societal and
historical considerations, not on whether a lone individual ever lived or
not. As you might imagine from this, I would not be accepted into any
society of historians. My view is too sociological for them.

Show me a competitive society based on the individual and I will show you
complete savagery.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old December 6th 04, 05:31 AM
Ken_in_Michgan

Ed,

Having taught in both a public middle school (7-8) and a public high
school (9-12) for 37 years before retiring, I too have a very dim view
organized sports and especially those louts who are idealized as being
the school's heroes. I have seen enough 15 to 18 year-olds parading
around and acting like the sun rises and sets on their posteriors and
expecting me and other teachers to give their poor performance in
class a pass "for the sake of the team!"

I am a member of the Calvinist Reformed Church in America and I
believe that the idol that America worships is the god of sport. What
really appalls me is the number of churches (mine included) who are
building gyms either connected to their church or on their campus to
further this idolic behavior. What really irked me was when our old
minister, who accepted a call to another congragation last spring,
didn't seem to be able to deliver one sermon that didn't reference
sports. He would cancel church activities to watch major sporting
events.

Needless to say, I don't watch many athletic events. I prefer to spend
the time outside riding our V-Rexes. What is really surprises me is
when I used to tell those sports louts how many miles we rode after
work (usually 15 to 30 miles) they would react with shock and say that
they couldn't ride their bikes for five miles, "it would kill me!"
What a bunch of wimps!

American organized sports are the modern equivalent of ancient Rome's
"Bread and Circuses."

Ken the Troll
Old December 6th 04, 06:43 AM
Edward Dolan

"Ken_in_Michgan" wrote in message
om...
[...]
Needless to say, I don't watch many athletic events. I prefer to spend
the time outside riding our V-Rexes. What is really surprises me is
when I used to tell those sports louts how many miles we rode after
work (usually 15 to 30 miles) they would react with shock and say that
they couldn't ride their bikes for five miles, "it would kill me!"
What a bunch of wimps!

American organized sports are the modern equivalent of ancient Rome's
"Bread and Circuses."

The main problem with all school team sports is that you can't continue them
once you are through with school. It would be better by far if the schools
would emphasize those physical activities that you can continue through out
your life.

I have never been interested in sports of any kind. I most especially have
never been interested in watching others play a game. It is one thing to
play yourself I suppose, but to merely watch others play ... ? No thanks!

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota