Made of tough stuff.

Old December 1st 16, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Made of tough stuff.

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 5:28:40 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:00:12 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 11/30/2016 11:41 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 10:32:24 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/29/2016 12:47 PM,
wrote:

Randy - what would you call it when Hillary was offering pay for play to foreign powers, using an illegal private server to do so and the President of the United States was emailing her using a false name? And probably collecting his cut?

What do you call it when it turns out that the State Department had been warned AHEAD of time that there was going to be an attack on the American Embassy and did nothing not only to increase security or to evacuate the Embassy personnel but did not send in reinforcements after the attack began?

I have good friends working in State Department security. They call
that stuff bull****.

But hey, they may be part of the grand conspiracy.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Do your sources in the State Department deny the articles by the New York Times and the Washington Post as well as dozens of Hillary's emails exposed by Wikileaks and not denied by the FBI?

Aw, they're probably in on the conspiracy. In fact, the whole State
Department probably is. After all, they work for the government. Proof!

NO! You are incorrect. Not the whole State Department. It is the whole
world.

With the exception of one bloke, who suffered a concussion and is now
by his own account forgetful, but who knows all the secrets.

That head injury has allowed him to see the world more clearly -- sort of like moving the antenna on the TV top. Unfortunately, his brain has tuned into the conspiracy channel, one of the hidden subchannels of the local Fox affiliate. I wear a tinfoil hat to avoid accidentally tuning into the hidden subchannels, unless they're broadcasting reruns of The Waltons. Goodnight, John Boy.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 10th 16, 10:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Neubauer

On 23/11/2016 00:36, Phil Lee wrote:
Martin Neubauer considered Tue, 22 Nov 2016
20:03:25 +0100 the perfect time to write:

On 21/11/2016 02:13, Phil Lee wrote:

It's a sad fact that arithmetic ability has plummeted with the conversion to the SI system [...]

Don't mistake correlation for causality...

I'm not.
My mother was a maths teacher through the transition, and she saw for
herself how kids lost interest as soon as they failed to see any
necessity.

By that argument nothing notable in the field of mathematics should have
come from continental Europe...
--
Onkyo no Tetsujin.

Old December 10th 16, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 2:03:14 AM UTC-8, Martin Neubauer wrote:
On 23/11/2016 00:36, Phil Lee wrote:
Martin Neubauer considered Tue, 22 Nov 2016
20:03:25 +0100 the perfect time to write:

On 21/11/2016 02:13, Phil Lee wrote:

It's a sad fact that arithmetic ability has plummeted with the conversion to the SI system [...]
Don't mistake correlation for causality...

I'm not.
My mother was a maths teacher through the transition, and she saw for
herself how kids lost interest as soon as they failed to see any
necessity.

By that argument nothing notable in the field of mathematics should have
come from continental Europe...
--
Onkyo no Tetsujin.

I've lost you there Martin. Do you think that mathematics was not built upon necessity but coercion?
Old December 10th 16, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee

Martin Neubauer considered Sat, 10 Dec 2016
11:02:59 +0100 the perfect time to write:

On 23/11/2016 00:36, Phil Lee wrote:
Martin Neubauer considered Tue, 22 Nov 2016
20:03:25 +0100 the perfect time to write:

On 21/11/2016 02:13, Phil Lee wrote:

It's a sad fact that arithmetic ability has plummeted with the conversion to the SI system [...]
Don't mistake correlation for causality...

I'm not.
My mother was a maths teacher through the transition, and she saw for
herself how kids lost interest as soon as they failed to see any
necessity.

By that argument nothing notable in the field of mathematics should have
come from continental Europe...

The general case cannot be used to apply to exceptional cases - some
kids have a natural aptitude and interest anyway, and most notable
developments will come from that small subset of student in any case.
But the standards of basic arithmetic in the general population has
nothing to do with that at all.

As an example (and probably largely due to genetics), when square
numbers were merely mentioned during teaching multiplication in
primary school (when he was 8 years old), he derived the concept
entirely for himself of square roots, and worked out for himself how
to calculate them long-hand - in less that a week, and from pure
interest in the subject. As he hadn't actually been taught them he
described them as "back-squares", and came to me asking if there was a
faster method for deriving them. To say I was astounded would be an
understatement!
I had to tell him that if he ever did work out a faster way, he would
probably never have to do any other work in his life!
Old December 11th 16, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee

Phil Lee considered Sat, 10 Dec 2016 22:26:37
+0000 the perfect time to write:

[...]

Oops, lost in editing that the below refers to my middle son.

Old December 11th 16, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 2:26:40 PM UTC-8, Phil Lee wrote:
[...]

Phil, you use a pronoun but never identify who you are talking about.
Old December 11th 16, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 8:08:01 AM UTC-8, Phil Lee wrote:
[...]

Well I hope you intend to put him through mathematics and physics.
Old December 11th 16, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/11/2016 11:07 AM, Phil Lee wrote:
[...]

I was wondering about that! So, what's he up to these days?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 12th 16, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee

Frank Krygowski considered Sun, 11 Dec 2016
16:34:38 -0500 the perfect time to write:

[...]

Doing computer game development at college.
So he's using a fair bit of mathematics in that, although nothing new
or particularly advanced.
He also reinvented recursion before being taught it, although I find
that less impressive than his achievement in figuring out square
roots, as I also figured out recursion before covering it, but I doubt
if I could ever have done what he did with square roots.
Old December 12th 16, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee

considered Sun, 11 Dec 2016 08:15:38 -0800 (PST)
the perfect time to write:

[...]

He's done some, but there's no point in trying to teach him what he's
not interested in, and he wasn't really interested in advanced
mathematics.
So he's doing computer game development, which at least uses a fair
bit of what he knows.

it's tough out there AMuzi Techniques 1 January 27th 11 12:17 AM
auction: new stuff, vintage stuff, good stuff axion jaxson Marketplace 0 August 14th 07 02:31 PM
Mistakes were made / I made a mistake [email protected] Racing 1 November 26th 06 07:58 AM
Here's a tough one jimmymac Techniques 0 November 14th 06 07:43 PM
Think you've got it tough? cfsmtb Australia 13 November 10th 06 02:24 AM