Filtering Used Citrus Solvent?

Old September 10th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White

Default Filtering Used Citrus Solvent?

I put citrus solvent in a 2 liter pop bottle along with a grungy chain. Capped
and shook/soaked it. Now the solvent is pretty filthy after only a single use.
Anyone know if it is possible to filter this (maybe using an coffee filter) to
get it less gritty for the next chain? Thanks.
Old September 10th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Hobson

David White wrote:
I put citrus solvent in a 2 liter pop bottle along with a grungy chain.
Capped and shook/soaked it. Now the solvent is pretty filthy after only
a single use. Anyone know if it is possible to filter this (maybe using
an coffee filter) to get it less gritty for the next chain? Thanks.

Easiest way I can think of is to let the gunk settle down to the bottom.
Then use a sharp object to poke a small hole in the side of the bottle
somewhere near (but above) the highest grit particles. Have something
ready to catch the fluid. When it's all drained out, discard the gross
stuff.

HTH
\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old September 10th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Earl Bollinger

"Paul Hobson" wrote in message
David White wrote:
I put citrus solvent in a 2 liter pop bottle along with a grungy chain.
Capped and shook/soaked it. Now the solvent is pretty filthy after only a
single use. Anyone know if it is possible to filter this (maybe using an
coffee filter) to get it less gritty for the next chain? Thanks.

Easiest way I can think of is to let the gunk settle down to the bottom.
Then use a sharp object to poke a small hole in the side of the bottle
somewhere near (but above) the highest grit particles. Have something
ready to catch the fluid. When it's all drained out, discard the gross
stuff.

HTH
\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
.:change the f to ph to reply:.

Like you have thought of already.
I'd let the stuff settle for a while, then carefully and slowly pour it
through a coffee filter or something, and that should remove most of the
particles.
But stop before the gunk at the bottom starts to come out.

Old September 10th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

"David White" wrote in message
. ..
I put citrus solvent in a 2 liter pop bottle along with a grungy chain.
Capped and shook/soaked it. Now the solvent is pretty filthy after only a
single use. Anyone know if it is possible to filter this (maybe using an
coffee filter) to get it less gritty for the next chain? Thanks.

How much did you use? I use only a few ounces of citrus cleaner and an old
toothbrush to clean parts (a few chains and whatever else I'm cleaning).
This stuff is water soluble, so after you clean with a brush, you rinse with
water and dry. Your citrus cleaner will last a lot longer this way.
--
Marty

Old September 10th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

David White wrote:
I put citrus solvent in a 2 liter pop bottle along with a grungy chain. Capped
and shook/soaked it. Now the solvent is pretty filthy after only a single use.
Anyone know if it is possible to filter this (maybe using an coffee filter) to
get it less gritty for the next chain? Thanks.

I filter my used kerosene through coffee filters in a big funnel. I've
used the same gallon of kerosene for 4 or 5 years and it's still nearly
clear.

Coffee filters clog pretty quick, though. The trick is to have two
containers and decant the fluid back and forth between them, changing
the filter each time. I usually use 5 or 6 filters for one cleaning.
They accumulate an amazing amount of fine black goo. I bought a pack of
1000 generic filters about 12 years ago- I've used about 3/4 of them
since.

Another trick is to use containers with larger bottoms. I use laundry
detergent bottles. They're big enough that I can put the big funnel in
the top (with filter) and then let the kerosene filter through
overnight. A two-liter pop bottle would tip over too easily.

Jeff

Old September 10th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

JeffWills wrote:
David White wrote:
I put citrus solvent in a 2 liter pop bottle along with a grungy chain. Capped
and shook/soaked it. Now the solvent is pretty filthy after only a single use.
Anyone know if it is possible to filter this (maybe using an coffee filter) to
get it less gritty for the next chain? Thanks.

I filter my used kerosene through coffee filters in a big funnel. I've
used the same gallon of kerosene for 4 or 5 years and it's still nearly
clear.

Coffee filters clog pretty quick, though. The trick is to have two
containers and decant the fluid back and forth between them, changing
the filter each time. I usually use 5 or 6 filters for one cleaning.
They accumulate an amazing amount of fine black goo....

I have tasted some coffee that I think was brewed with Jeff's old
filters.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Old September 10th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White

Thanks to all. I have tried the coffee filter technique and they DO clog up
quickly - almost immediately. I recall from the old days selling VW parts that
the cheap paper gas filters would clog up if there was water in the fuel.
Perhaps citrus solvent has water (or more water) than kerosene and this is
taking place? Not sure if there is some better material (maybe lots of cheese
cloth?). The filtered liquid seems to be still quite black in color. But I am
sure that at least some of the grit is being removed. I wish I still worked in
a shop and had a safety cleen tank.

Old September 11th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

I have tasted some coffee that I think was brewed with Jeff's old
filters.

Yeah, well... I've been working in a hospital lately. Waking up on
weekend mornings requires *strong* measures. Lingering over good coffee
doesn't get the work done.

Jeff

Old September 11th 06, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
patrick mitchel

"David White" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks to all. I have tried the coffee filter technique and they DO clog
up quickly - almost immediately. I recall from the old days selling VW
parts that the cheap paper gas filters would clog up if there was water in
the fuel. Perhaps citrus solvent has water (or more water) than kerosene
and this is taking place? Not sure if there is some better material (maybe
lots of cheese cloth?). The filtered liquid seems to be still quite black
in color. But I am sure that at least some of the grit is being removed. I
wish I still worked in a shop and had a safety cleen tank.

Try the disposable filter masks that come in a multipack- they are a bit
coarser and seem to allow the liquid to pass through. Pat

Old September 12th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Two Pedals

At a kitchen supply store (or a Dollar store) find a cheap plastic
gravy seperator. It looks like a measureing cup, except the spout is
attached at the bottom. It's designed to seprate cooking juices from
cooking fat. The fat floats to the top, and the good juices are poured
off the bottom (hence the location of the spout!). But for your use,
let the grit and grime settle to the bottom, and then pour it out
leaving relatively clean solvent at the top. Filtering the remaining
solvent (if desired) is now much faster......

Getting a decent news reader, filtering Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 0 June 9th 06 03:01 PM
Chain cleaning solvent Dan Techniques 9 July 3rd 05 05:24 AM
[OT] Filtering uk.rec.drivel and uk.tosspot Richard UK 4 June 8th 05 11:00 PM
citrus degreaser Katharine & Paul Australia 12 March 17th 04 04:32 PM