Insuring a Bike bought through 'Cycle to Work' Scheme

Old February 9th 09, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Insuring a Bike bought through 'Cycle to Work' Scheme

I'm about to buy a bike through the 'Cycle to Work' scheme. My
employer's company made it clear that I don't own it but am hiring it
for the year. They've also said that it's my duty to insure it.

Trouble is - insurance companies are generally pretty unhelpful about
insuring things you don't own. I'm reluctant to call my contents
insurance company (Bradford & BIngley) & ask them as it'll probably be
recorded somewhere.

Anyone been through this already?

Michael
Old February 10th 09, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
didds

On 9 Feb, 22:04, wrote:
I'm about to buy a bike through the 'Cycle to Work' scheme. *My
employer's company made it clear that I don't own it but am hiring it
for the year. *They've also said that it's my duty to insure it.

Trouble is - insurance companies are generally pretty unhelpful about
insuring things you don't own. *I'm reluctant to call my contents
insurance company (Bradford & BIngley) & ask them as it'll probably be
recorded somewhere.

What do your employers suggest you do instead then? They can hardly
expect you to insure something when to do so is impossible. You have
asked them?

Alternatively you arrange the insurance on behalf of your employers
and you pay the premium (ie you find a specific bicycle insurance
scheme and do not involve your house insurance).

Or you just don't tell the insurance company that you don't actually
own it.

didds
Old February 10th 09, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Feb 10, 9:58*am, Ian Smith wrote:
*I might ask around (with the caveat that it might be difficult to get
a straight answer in cases of employees
thinking I'm trying to check up on whether they've complied with the agreement).

I'd be interested to know how people have got on with their insurance
companies. In response to the other points above:

- The scheme (cyclescheme.co.uk) requires me to insure it during the
hire period.
- Apart from saying that it's my responsibility to insure the bike my
company hasn't said anything. They're not going to be very
interested if it costs me twice as much - as long as they're covered.
- Colleagues I've spoken to haven't really looked into it, generally
they've just carried on with whatever they did before.

Michael

Old February 10th 09, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

wrote in message
I'm about to buy a bike through the 'Cycle to Work' scheme. My
employer's company made it clear that I don't own it but am hiring it
for the year. They've also said that it's my duty to insure it.

Trouble is - insurance companies are generally pretty unhelpful about
insuring things you don't own. I'm reluctant to call my contents
insurance company (Bradford & BIngley) & ask them as it'll probably be
recorded somewhere.

What's the problem with contacting the B&B?
You will have to get some cover somewhere so I don't see there's a problem
with asking the B&B for a quote on the basis of it being under hire.

My own insurance schedule makes it clear that it covers things that are
'belonging' to me, it's not clear that this means only things I 'own'
outright.

Other insurers exist of course.

Old February 10th 09, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Feb 10, 12:20*pm, "OG" wrote:

What's the problem with contacting the B&B?
You will have to get some cover somewhere so I don't see there's a problem
with asking the B&B for a quote on the basis of it being under hire.

The problem with contacting an insurance company & asking them a
question is that they have a tendency to re-use that info later. For
example - someone I know had an accident, contacted their insurer to
ask what the excess was & how it might affect next year's renewal and
then decided not to claim. However their renewal was increased for
the accident anyway, even though they hadn't claimed. Yes - I
understand that this isn't the same, but it means I'm reluctant to ask
them a 'what if' question.

In terms of whether you have to own something to insure it - I lived
in a rented flat a few years ago & the landlord stipulated that we had
to insure all of the contents (including the furniture, which was
his). It was really hard to find insurance, because most companies
wouldn't insure things that we, as policyholders, didn't own.
Ultimately this made the insurance a lot more expensive.

Old February 10th 09, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

wrote:
On Feb 10, 12:20 pm, "OG" wrote:

What's the problem with contacting the B&B?
You will have to get some cover somewhere so I don't see there's a problem
with asking the B&B for a quote on the basis of it being under hire.

The problem with contacting an insurance company & asking them a
question is that they have a tendency to re-use that info later. For
example - someone I know had an accident, contacted their insurer to
ask what the excess was & how it might affect next year's renewal and
then decided not to claim. However their renewal was increased for
the accident anyway, even though they hadn't claimed. Yes - I
understand that this isn't the same, but it means I'm reluctant to ask
them a 'what if' question.

Reporting accidents is a contractual requirement on policyholders anyway
- failing to do so would invaldate their insurance totally; whether the
insurance co was justified in increasing the renewal premium is another
matter.
Do you know whether the incresed price at renewal was because of a
premium load or did they cut the No Claims Discount? If the latter, did
they go back to the insurer to query the action?

In terms of whether you have to own something to insure it - I lived
in a rented flat a few years ago & the landlord stipulated that we had
to insure all of the contents (including the furniture, which was
his). It was really hard to find insurance, because most companies
wouldn't insure things that we, as policyholders, didn't own.
Ultimately this made the insurance a lot more expensive.

Yes, that may be a problem, though there do seem to be contents policies
for tenants available.

Cycle to work scheme. Brian Robertson[_5_] UK 38 October 22nd 08 03:28 PM
Cycle to work (tax-free bikes) scheme - bike shops???? [email protected] UK 30 September 19th 08 10:28 AM
Cycle To Work scheme (again) Simon L UK 2 June 21st 07 01:51 PM
Cycle to work scheme... paul UK 16 May 9th 06 09:51 AM
Cycle to work scheme peacock suit UK 14 September 18th 05 03:49 AM