Loads on bikes

Old September 29th 09, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Default Loads on bikes

amongst the constant doug/anti-doug noise is the idea that 35kg is too
heavy for a cyclist to transport.

St John's bikes rear load is around 45kg and that's before all the
personal stuff is added.
The rear wheel is rebuilt to take the load.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 29th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sep 29, 10:45*am, Keitht KeithT wrote:
amongst the constant doug/anti-doug noise is the idea that 35kg is too
heavy for a cyclist to transport.

I suspect that is a number plucked out of somebody's arse, with the
value calculated as the difference between what they weigh and what
they should weigh.
--
Guy
Old September 29th 09, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Keitht wrote:

amongst the constant doug/anti-doug noise is the idea that 35kg is
too heavy for a cyclist to transport.

St John's bikes rear load is around 45kg and that's before all the
personal stuff is added. The rear wheel is rebuilt to take the load.

I suspect that weight isn't an issue as such, but more the bulk, size
or volume of items .. I certainly can't carry a bedframe on my bike,
which weighs around 20kg but is about 1.2m x 2.2. x 0.3m rectangular
'box', but I can carry a few reels of mig welding wire and sundry
accessories which weigh around 50kg quite easily ..

I also suspect any weights or sizes people say they can or can't carry
vary depending upon their particular viewpoint and that of their
audience.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old September 29th 09, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Keitht wrote:
amongst the constant doug/anti-doug noise is the idea that 35kg is too
heavy for a cyclist to transport.

My 8Freight came with instructions that for regular use 50 Kg should be
okay with occasional loads up to about 75 Kg.

I've done the 50 Kg (two bags of coal, so I know what the weight was)
thing reasonably regularly and up a decent sized hill too, as the bike
is geared for that, tjhough I did find it was significantly easier when
I put SPuDs on. With a load trike with suitable gearing I could carry
more, and if I was somewhere flat (Dundee ain't!) then even less of an
issue.

FSVO "cyclist", of course. My kids are "cyclists", and though they're
getting a lot better they'd have trouble on the same hill my coal run
was on with just their own bodyweight.

I suspect it's mainly about "nothing is possible for the man who has
decided he CBA to try it".

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 29th 09, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Paul - xxx wrote:
Keitht wrote:

amongst the constant doug/anti-doug noise is the idea that 35kg is
too heavy for a cyclist to transport.

St John's bikes rear load is around 45kg and that's before all the
personal stuff is added. The rear wheel is rebuilt to take the load.

I suspect that weight isn't an issue as such, but more the bulk, size
or volume of items .. I certainly can't carry a bedframe on my bike,
which weighs around 20kg but is about 1.2m x 2.2. x 0.3m rectangular
'box', but I can carry a few reels of mig welding wire and sundry
accessories which weigh around 50kg quite easily ..

I also suspect any weights or sizes people say they can or can't carry
vary depending upon their particular viewpoint and that of their
audience.

Took a load of cardboard to the dump recently -- heavy and bulky - not
sure how heavy, just bunged it all on the trailer. 'Can I pedal with
this lot? - yes!, off we go'

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 29th 09, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Kahn

On Sep 29, 11:04*am, "Paul - xxx" wrote:

I suspect that weight isn't an issue as such, but more the bulk, size
or volume of items .. I certainly can't carry a bedframe on my bike,
which weighs around 20kg but is about 1.2m x 2.2. x 0.3m rectangular
'box', but I can carry a few reels of mig welding wire and sundry
accessories which weigh around 50kg quite easily ..

I also suspect any weights or sizes people say they can or can't carry
vary depending upon their particular viewpoint and that of their
audience.

Moving house by bike in Portland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYnRuAxb8sw

--
Dave...
Old September 29th 09, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Dave Kahn wrote:

On Sep 29, 11:04*am, "Paul - xxx" wrote:

I suspect that weight isn't an issue as such, but more the bulk,
size or volume of items .. I certainly can't carry a bedframe on my
bike, which weighs around 20kg but is about 1.2m x 2.2. x 0.3m
rectangular 'box', but I can carry a few reels of mig welding wire
and sundry accessories which weigh around 50kg quite easily ..

I also suspect any weights or sizes people say they can or can't
carry vary depending upon their particular viewpoint and that of
their audience.

Moving house by bike in Portland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYnRuAxb8sw

Yeah, seen that loads of times in UK .. not!!

Old September 29th 09, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Keitht wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
Keitht wrote:

[...]

Fine if you have a trailer, I don't.

My point was the weight (and even the size) really doesn't matter,
almost anything can actually be moved by bike if one has the
inclination or enough incentive. If you haven't then almost nothing
will fit or be able to be carried by bike ..

Old September 29th 09, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 29 Sep, 11:25, Peter Clinch wrote:
Keitht wrote:
[...]

Here are some examples of big loads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5VdRaJkc7c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DEU9-RXVB0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiNRws4uzlY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D7H6iE6zrE

Doug.
Old September 29th 09, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
leandr42[_2_]

My favourite "moving weird things on bikes" pics.

http://aistigave.hit.bg/Logistics/

More with motors than without, but the ones without did nearly as well.
--

Rob