Brutal driver walks

Old February 10th 16, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Smith[_7_]

Default Brutal driver walks

JNugent wrote:
On 09/02/2016 22:03, John Smith wrote:

What's needed is someone who has nothing to lose. And a friendly copper
who'll provide the name and address of the two cowards. Then let
natural justice take its course.

You don't understand the meaning of (term of art) "natural justice", do
you?

I obviously do - as evinced by my words above.

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
Old February 10th 16, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Smith[_7_]

JNugent wrote:
On 10/02/2016 09:59, John Smith wrote:

LOL ... and they say car drivers can't argue..

Please... please... don't even THINK of shutting up with your conspiracy
theories - they're too entertaining to be curtailed.

LOL ... no one expected that response, for sure.
Old February 10th 16, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 10/02/2016 13:50, John Smith wrote:

JNugent wrote:
On 09/02/2016 22:03, John Smith wrote:

What's needed is someone who has nothing to lose. And a friendly copper
who'll provide the name and address of the two cowards. Then let
natural justice take its course.

You don't understand the meaning of (term of art) "natural justice", do
you?

I obviously do - as evinced by my words above.

I'm not sure you're au fait with "evinced", either.

To be clear, "natural justice" is simply shorthand for due process with
all parties getting a fair hearing and serious consideration of their
evidence and/or case.

However, it is frequently misused by people who don't understand its
meaning, in whose mouths it becomes a term to describe what they think
is some sort of supervening principle to the effect that if they don't
like a law or its effects, there has to be a way of ignoring what the
law says.

Old February 10th 16, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Smith[_7_]

JNugent wrote:
On 09/02/2016 22:03, John Smith wrote:

What's needed is someone who has nothing to lose. And a friendly
copper who'll provide the name and address of the two cowards. Then
let natural justice take its course.

You don't understand the meaning of (term of art) "natural justice",
do you?

I obviously do - as evinced by my words above.

I'm not sure you're au fait with "evinced", either.

*chuckle*

That word usually confuses people like you, and I knew that you were going
to jump on it, so I made sure to check it before use.

'evince
To be an indication or evidence of; to make evident or manifest...'
1777 W. Anderson Jrnl. 11 July in J. Cook Jrnls. (1967) III. ii. 928
Their peacable disposition is sufficiently evinc'd from the friendly
reception all strangers have met with.
1802 W. Paley Nat. Theol. xxvi. 561 The contrivances of nature
decidedly evince intention.
1811 J. Pinkerton Petralogy I. 597 The presence of..resin, and
fibre, are esteemed to evince the original vegetable character.
a1866 G. Grote Fragm. Ethical Subj. (1876) iii. 52 Nothing can more
clearly evince the preponderance of this view.'
(OED Online, accessed 10 February 2016)

To be clear, "natural justice" is simply shorthand for due process with
all parties getting a fair hearing and serious consideration of their
evidence and/or case.

Wrong again.

'natural justice
Principles, procedures, results, etc., which are instinctively felt to
be just and fair, even if not formally enshrined in law..'
(OED Online, accessed 10 February 2016)

It is 'just and fair' that someone who attempts to cause grievous bodily
harm to another or who seeks to murder another, should be punished. It is
also 'just and fair' that someone who attempts to aid and abet a person who
has tried to cause grievous bodily harm to another or who seeks to murder
another in escaping punishment, should be punished.

If the state fails in its duty - or for political reasons chooses not to
execute its duty - then it is natural justice that the citizens inflict
punishment on those who have wronged them.

You need to get yourself a subscription to a decent dictionary. I get the
OED through the British Open University, but I don't think it's that
expensive. Alternatively, go and buy yourself a good dictionary. But do
something, because frankly, it's getting a bit embarrassing to see you go
charging in with your crackpot definitions of words that are easily shown
to be crackpot.

Old February 10th 16, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

JNugent wrote:
[...]

It is not used in everyday discourse in British English, not even among
the educated.

To be clear, "natural justice" is simply shorthand for due process with
all parties getting a fair hearing and serious consideration of their
evidence and/or case.

Wrong again.

No... YOU are wrong (again).

It has the meaning I ascribed to it.

Here's an example:
http://ukhumanrightsblog.com/2013/06/05/fair-play-in-action-court-of-appeal-considers-the-rules-of-natural-justice/

Here's another:
http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/hr/policies/ordinances/information-for-managers/justice

They're a couple of random English applications of the phrase.

I can accept that the phrase (as a term of art) may have some other
meaning in a foreign jurisdiction. This a UK newsgroup communicating in
English.

'natural justice
Principles, procedures, results, etc., which are instinctively felt to
be just and fair, even if not formally enshrined in law..'
(OED Online, accessed 10 February 2016)

It is 'just and fair' that someone who attempts to cause grievous bodily
harm to another or who seeks to murder another, should be punished. It is
also 'just and fair' that someone who attempts to aid and abet a person who
has tried to cause grievous bodily harm to another or who seeks to murder
another in escaping punishment, should be punished.

That's pretty much the chav-defendant definition of "natural justice".
Old February 10th 16, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Smith[_7_]

JNugent

{ snip }

Definitions of 'evinced' and 'natural justice' both taken from
authoritative sources. Nugent loses another one.

Next!

Old February 11th 16, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 09:43:47 -0800 (PST), Alycidon wrote:

On Sunday, 7 February 2016 07:57:16 UTC, Tom Crispin wrote:
On Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 6:40:34 AM UTC, Alycidon wrote:
On Saturday, 6 February 2016 23:37:40 UTC, Tom Crispin wrote:
It seems that the prosecution, in this case, have successfully proved that the registered keeper is refusing to give details of the driver.

That is why he has been fined and given six points.

Exactly. Insufficient for the crime he, or someone he is protecting, committed.

Not over at all, yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-35516450

What do you mean not over at all - are the police taking further unknown action
- or have they issued a statement. Oh yes - here it is:

In a statement, Nottinghamshire Police said: "While we share the victim's
disappointment at the outcome, we feel the investigating police officer made
every effort to ensure that the occupants of the car were found and brought
before the courts."

Oh - I see you mean not over in terms of people have a wankcry

The cyclist, known as Reginald Scot, said he had received thousands of messages
from around the world.
"The response has been massive and I've had literally thousands of messages
from America, Australia, Asia and Europe.

Old February 11th 16, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 01:25:13 -0800 (PST), Tom Crispin wrote:

snip

By the way, the collective noun for cyclists is "peloton" not "pack".

Indeed:

OED:
Peloton:
Noun:

a rabble of psycholists and suicyclists who think they are above the law.
Old February 11th 16, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 09:02:13 -0800 (PST), Alycidon wrote:

On Monday, 8 February 2016 16:54:42 UTC, Tom Crispin wrote:

What about motorists?

A fume of motorists?

Someone mention me?

I didn't see the word : Numbnuts

Partner's anger as death crash driver walks free David Hansen UK 32 May 9th 10 07:46 PM
Lorry driver who killed cyclist walks free from court with 'ludicrous' £275 fine [email protected] UK 102 July 13th 08 11:36 PM
Lorry driver on mobile kills cyclist, walks free from court. spindrift UK 0 April 8th 08 08:42 AM
Killer driver walks free spindrift UK 0 May 22nd 07 09:52 AM
Brutal breach of rider's rights! Bill C Racing 9 September 16th 05 04:41 AM