Tyre failure example (with an aside on tyre liners)

Old December 3rd 03, 08:42 PM
Andrew Webster

Default Tyre failure example (with an aside on tyre liners)

I had a substantial tyre failure today - see pictures. Ended up with
a large bit of tread missing and a gash right through the cords.

see pictures at:

http://www.webstersabingdon.plus.com/tyres/

I ended up with a large egg in the tyre with a distinct lump on each
rotation.

The point of this is that I was only saved from a blowout by the Mr
Tuffy tyre liner inside acting as a tyre boot. This is a benefit of
tyre liners beyond the prevention of punctures from "just penetrating"
objects that is sometimes missed.

Another side benefit is that any punctures (the only other one in this
tyre in over 3000 miles was caused by a large nail that no reasonable
precautions could prevent) tend to self-seal to some extent, leaving
you with a slow puncture that can be sorted when convenient.

Does anyone have any other evidence to support these comments?

My final point is a comment on the threads about tyre longevity. I
rarely wear down tyres, much more usual is this sort of sudden failure
- as you can see this tyre still had plenty of tread left after 3300
miles. So my answer to those who ask "how long can I expect my tyres
to last?" is "until you run over something that shreds them". Does
anyone else subscribe to this view.

Don't know what caused this puncture(dark & wet - I didn't see what
did it), but I'm certainly glad to have been saved from a long walk (I
carry spare tube, but not tyre). One up to tyre liners on this
occasion.

Andrew Webster
Old December 3rd 03, 10:43 PM
Rick Onanian

On 3 Dec 2003 12:42:15 -0800, (Andrew
Webster) wrote:
I had a substantial tyre failure today - see pictures. Ended up with
a large bit of tread missing and a gash right through the cords.
http://www.webstersabingdon.plus.com/tyres/

That's not a tire! That's an alien! Shoot it! Isn't it obvious from
it's guts that it's an alien, come to invade the planet and cook all
the humans? Look at all the gooey, stringy crap with oddly colored
bits randomly mixed in. Don't you know alien physiology when you see
it?

I ended up with a large egg in the tyre with a distinct lump on each
rotation.

See? Tires don't reproduce with eggs, aliens do!

Does anyone have any other evidence to support these comments?

Your pictures are evidence enough. Shoot it before it calls for
reinforcements, already!

My final point is a comment on the threads about tyre longevity. I
rarely wear down tyres, much more usual is this sort of sudden failure
- as you can see this tyre still had plenty of tread left after 3300
miles. So my answer to those who ask "how long can I expect my tyres
to last?" is "until you run over something that shreds them". Does
anyone else subscribe to this view.

You're obviously wrong. The correct answer is "until a tire-shaped
alien takes it's place and gets injured".

Don't know what caused this puncture(dark & wet - I didn't see what
did it), but I'm certainly glad to have been saved from a long walk (I
carry spare tube, but not tyre). One up to tyre liners on this
occasion.

It's obviously caused by the alien underestimating your riding. He
probably thought that you were like the more commonly visible
riders, and your rides are limited to two or three times per year
for a couple miles on the clean paved bike path.

You better hope he doesn't contact any Vogons...
Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop I implore thee my foonting turlingdromes.
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
see if I don't!

Andrew Webster

--
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Old December 4th 03, 01:27 AM
David L. Johnson

wrote:
I had a substantial tyre failure today - see pictures. Ended up with a
large bit of tread missing and a gash right through the cords.
http://www.webstersabingdon.plus.com/tyres/

That's not a tire! That's an alien! Shoot it! Isn't it obvious from it's
guts that it's an alien, come to invade the planet and cook all the
humans? Look at all the gooey, stringy crap with oddly colored bits
randomly mixed in. Don't you know alien physiology when you see it?

I thought I saw a hand and arm in there.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Old December 4th 03, 02:23 AM
Josh Gatts

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
You better hope he doesn't contact any Vogons...
Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop I implore thee my foonting turlingdromes.
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
see if I don't!

Another g. daniels tribute?

--Josh (removing exhausted Babel fish from ear and placing in satchel)

Old December 4th 03, 03:47 AM
Sorni

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message

You better hope he doesn't contact any Vogons...
Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to me
As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop I implore thee my foonting turlingdromes.
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
see if I don't!

Smoke comin' out of your spell-checker, Rick?

Bill "pic needs a little yellow-greenish slime for full effect" S.

Old December 4th 03, 08:16 PM

Andrew Webster writes:

I had a substantial tyre failure today - see pictures. Ended up
with a large bit of tread missing and a gash right through the
cords.

see pictures at:

http://www.webstersabingdon.plus.com/tyres/

I ended up with a large egg in the tyre with a distinct lump on each
rotation.

The point of this is that I was only saved from a blowout by the Mr
Tuffy tyre liner inside acting as a tyre boot. This is a benefit of
tyre liners beyond the prevention of punctures from "just
penetrating" objects that is sometimes missed.

Just the same, the rubber was cut and that indicates a sharp object,
whether that was a chipped rock or a piece of metal/glass. If the
rubber were not broken, then it would indicate a poor tire casing.

The ess bend in the casing occurs because only one ply remained in
tact and being at 45 degrees, the other axis stretches and causes a
bulge. Notice that the blue tire is cracking from aging that colored
tires do better than carbon black ones.

Jobst Brandt

Old December 4th 03, 08:21 PM
Andrew Webster

Thanks for the comments chaps - sorry about the double posting, but
the first effort reported an error (honest), must be those pesky
aliens you talked about.

Andrew Webster
Old December 5th 03, 03:06 AM

Werehatrack Rault writes:

Notice that the blue tire is cracking from aging that colored tires
do better than carbon black ones.

The next time I acquire a suitable example, I'll take a few photos
of gumwall tires on older bikes where the black tread is intact but
the unpigmented sidewalls have completely deteriorated. I usually
see this on bikes in thrift stores at least once per month. Black
is the appropriate color for a tire for a good reason, as you allude
above.

Latex rubber, unfilled or blended is worse than blue coloring against
the weathering. I think you probably know that from reading endless
defenses of tubulars and aging of such tires for better performance.

See the FAQ on that at:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html

under the heading: 8b Tech Tires

Jobst Brandt

Old December 10th 03, 09:53 PM
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:23:41 -0800, "Josh Gatts"
wrote:
"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
You better hope he doesn't contact any Vogons...
Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to me

Another g. daniels tribute?
--Josh (removing exhausted Babel fish from ear and placing in satchel)

From your sig, I expect that you would have recognized that poetry,
unless your Babel fish reference is to babelfish.altavista.com...
--
Rick Onanian