Cycle friendly employers.

Old May 1st 09, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Cycle friendly employers.

Woo! The following message has appeared in our weekly work's
newsletter. Sadly, I can't enter as I would not dream of putting my
bike in the sheds.

On the 11th – 15th May the GOI are holding the annual Bike2 Work week.
As in previous years you will need to register onto the scheme, which
will enable you to be entered into the prize draw for the chance to
win some great prizes.

How it works…

Those of you who wish to sign up can do so in the canteen, week
commencing 5th May (12pm – 12.30pm).
Once you’ve singed up you will be given a label for your bike.
You will also be provided with a Bike2Work pack which contains useful
information such as local cycle routes, maps, and handy hints on
topics such as cycle maintenance.
A GOI representative will check the bike sheds on a daily basis and
mark down who has biked to work that day.
Every time you bike to work you will be entered into the prize draw.
‘The more you use your bike the better chance you have of winning’

At the end of the week we will notify the prize winners.

Safety points…

You need to keep your bike well maintained and in good working order.
Carry out regular checks to make sure that:

· Tyres are in good condition and inflated to the correct
pressure

· Gears are working correctly

· The chain is properly adjusted and oiled

· The saddle and handlebars are adjusted to the correct
height

· Your brakes are efficient

PLEASE WEAR A HELMET AND REFLECTIVE CLOTHING

--
Simon Mason
Old May 1st 09, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Fri, 1 May 2009 07:05:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

PLEASE WEAR A HELMET AND REFLECTIVE CLOTHING

Oh dear!
Old May 1st 09, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Fri, 1 May 2009 07:05:09 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be
" wrote this:-

Woo! The following message has appeared in our weekly work's
newsletter. Sadly, I can't enter as I would not dream of putting my
bike in the sheds.

Why not ask them whether they could check the fence too?

Simon's employer wrote:

Safety points…

You need to keep your bike well maintained and in good working order.
Carry out regular checks to make sure that:

· Tyres are in good condition and inflated to the correct
pressure

· Gears are working correctly

· The chain is properly adjusted and oiled

· The saddle and handlebars are adjusted to the correct
height

· Your brakes are efficient

Do they give similar elementary advice to motorists?

PLEASE WEAR A HELMET AND REFLECTIVE CLOTHING

Do they ask motorists to do the same?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old May 1st 09, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

" wrote this:-

Woo! The following message has appeared in our weekly work's
newsletter. Sadly, I can't enter as I would not dream of putting my
bike in the sheds.

Why not ask them whether they could check the fence too?

I don't really want anyone knowing it is there.

--
Simon Mason

Old May 1st 09, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On 1 May, 17:24, David Hansen wrote:

PLEASE WEAR A HELMET AND REFLECTIVE CLOTHING

Do they ask motorists to do the same?

Yes, all motorists have had to wear hi vis since Jan 09. Helmets, no.
Today was so warm, I wore no hi-vis coming to work at 2pm and wasn't
challenged, it will be interesting to see if our other cyclists are
still in their heavy reflective coats come July.

--
Simon Mason
Old May 1st 09, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

"David Hansen" wrote in message

· Your brakes are efficient

Do they give similar elementary advice to motorists?

They would require a motorist to have a legal car which would, perforce,
include just that.

pk

Old May 1st 09, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

wrote:

PLEASE WEAR A HELMET AND REFLECTIVE CLOTHING

Oh dear!

Excellent advice from a very safety conscious company.

I am sure that you can enlighten us as to why you feel it is necessary
to say "Oh dear"

Perhaps you feel it is bad advice?

At least they suggest what to do - I suppose that they could have
chosen the Crispin way out and said:

"We cannot help on whether cycle helmets should be recommended or not.
Please ask your parents for advice on this matter"

--

In the UK in 2007
There were 30,959 pedestrians injured in traffice accidents

I wonder what the relative numbers of pedestrians and cyclists
in the UK is?

It looks like cycling is much more dangerous than being a pedestrian.

Old May 1st 09, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote:

PLEASE WEAR A HELMET AND REFLECTIVE CLOTHING

Oh dear!

Excellent advice from a very safety conscious company.

Yes, Judith.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9JY3eT4cdM

Have you made an appointment with your doctor yet?
Old May 1st 09, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On 1 May, 20:06, Judith Smith wrote:
On Fri, 1 May 2009 09:37:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On 1 May, 17:24, David Hansen wrote:

PLEASE WEAR A HELMET AND REFLECTIVE CLOTHING

Do they ask motorists to do the same?

Yes, all motorists have had to wear hi vis since Jan 09. Helmets, no.
Today was so warm, I wore no hi-vis coming to work at 2pm and wasn't
challenged, it will be interesting to see if our other cyclists are
still in their heavy reflective coats come July.

Perhaps they will have the common sense to wear just an over -vest
hi-viz.

Will you?

No - I'm a rebel!

--
Simon Mason

Bike Friendly Employers?? Gags Australia 32 November 5th 07 09:17 AM
Co-op not cycle friendly PassingTyke UK 18 April 18th 07 08:35 AM
How cycle friendly is the UK? Timo UK 42 December 6th 05 05:04 PM
Cycle friendly cafes and pubs Simonb UK 11 April 28th 04 11:05 PM
Cycle Un-friendly Councils iarocu UK 89 December 30th 03 07:41 PM