Do *You* Hate Motorists? Take The Test

Old April 29th 09, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Default Do *You* Hate Motorists? Take The Test

Martin twisted the electrons to say:
I wonder how you passed your driving test, then? When I passed mine it
was a requirement that you not exceed the speed limit - my instructor
(who was given an MBE for services to driving tuition) taught me that
speeding was an instant fail.

Speeding is not an instant fail. I do know someone who exceeded the
speed limit on their test, the examiner knew this, but that person still
passed.

nods Someone I was at school with did 40mph in a 30mph zone (IIRC,
they missed the sign where the speed limit changed) and still passed.
Old April 29th 09, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 23:35:06 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

alan.holmes wrote:

Unfortunately I do not have your facility of being able to watch the
speedometer and the road at the same time

I wonder how you passed your driving test, then? When I passed mine it was
a requirement that you not exceed the speed limit - my instructor (who was
given an MBE for services to driving tuition) taught me that speeding was an
instant fail.

Chapman bragging again.

Just what is the relevance that *your* instructor had an MBE?

Do you think if he hadn't, he'd have told you to put your foot down?

It is irrelevant.

You can't state anything simply without embellishing it can you?

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy

Old April 29th 09, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:16:02 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:06:53 +0000, (Roger
Merriman) wrote:

get a client that auto kills all followups then? thats what mine does,
as nuxxy is not as nasty as judit i tend to just put him in a rolling 30
days when he gets too much.

For values of "not as nasty" that include phoning in the small hours
to shout "murderer". In terms of malice I don't think there is a lot
to choose between the two. Actually since both of them are fact-blind
agenda-driven nutcases it is not even that interesting to speculate on
what differences there might be, I suspect.

Guy

Good old Guy - keep things on the boil.

Whatever will Snipper Smith have to say?

Fact-blinded?

In order to prove Risk Compensation Chapman offers the following:

"For example, in general, children using PE such as helmets report
going faster and more often reported damage to their bike"

What he doesn't say - is that it was actually 4 children who responded
in that way.

Now there's fact-blinded if ever I saw it.

Chapman = despicable.
--

The BMA view of helmets:

The BMA (British Medical Association) urges legislation to make the wearing of cycle helmets compulsory for both adults and children.

The evidence from those countries where compulsory cycle helmet use has already been introduced is that such legislation has a beneficial effect on cycle-related deaths and head injuries. This strongly supports the case for introducing legislation in the UK. Such legislation should result in a reduction in the morbidity and mortality associated with cycling accidents.

Old April 30th 09, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_15_]

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:54:40 +0100, "mileburner"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .

To me this shows a lack of care, awareness and consideration. All of
which should be present for someone to be allowed to drive IMHO.

(I am a parent and school governor and have been campaigning, with
only minor successes, for many years for road/pavement safety
improvements to be made near the schools so I am particularly
sensitive to Simon's statement.)

I would be interested to know what improvements you would like to see
concerning road/pavement safety.

In this particular case the roads are generally narrow and there are
areas where parking is *not* prohibited. In places the pavements are
very narrow and not continuous. Some of the pavements slope steeply
towards the road. There is a lot of vehicular and pedestrian traffic
due to the 3 large schools nearby and the road is used as a rat run to
avoid traffic lights on the main road (I assume).

The problems we face a
- Cars/lorries mounting the pavement due to the narrowness of the
road. The fact that the pavement is full of children does not seen
to dissuade them of this.
- Dangerous overtakes of parked vehicles.
- A continuous convoy of parents who drive their child to the door of
the school, turn round and leave. Some of them actually block the
pavement or entrance of one school!
- Many more issues that I haven't time to recount.

There were some changes made a few years ago (one pavement widened & a
ped crossing added) but the increase in traffic levels have negated
these IMHO.

So it's a fairly big problem. I'd like to see the road closed (access
only) during school times but I don't think this will happen.

Other things we'd like to see is the pavements fixed and widened. One
of the local councilors has suggested a one way system or traffic
lights to ensure traffic is only flowing one way at a time but I doubt
they would stump up the money for this.

--
(\__/) M.

Old April 30th 09, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex Potter

alan.holmes wrote in :

Just as a demonstration that what I have written is correct, over the
past few years I have been accused of exceeding the speed limit nine
times, the first one I was stupid enough to pay, the second one was such
a farce that it bought home to me that these devices are not at all
accurate, so each one I asked to see the 'evidence five times I heard no
more, of the others it was not possible to assess the sped as one was a
laser gun, which have been recorded as being completely unreliable, one
occasion I was sent a single picture from a Gatso, clearly to hide the
fact that that was not correct, one went to court which again was a
complete farce, it was referred twice, on the second occasion I was
asked what questions I would ask the police, which I did not do, but
asked for it to be referred to a crown court, the CPS wrote to me saying
there was not enough evidence to secure a prosecution and I was offered
compensation, on one occasion I asked how was the thing calibrated, and
the answer was that it was 'serviced' once a year!

I'm late to the party with this reply, but I think it may be worth
making, so here goes...

In the days before I lost my driving license for 6 months, almost 10
years ago now, I used to exceed the speed limit regularly and
deliberately.

Whenever I was caught, whether by camera, laser or plain-clothes police
car, the speeds with which I was charged corresponded almost exactly with
those indicated by my speedometer.

Oh, and as I seemed to be temperamentally incapable of staying within
speed limits, once out on the "open" road, I never bothered to re-apply
for my driving license. I've had a lot of fun on my bike ever since, and
am much less poor than I would otherwise be.

--
Regards
Alex

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/
Old April 30th 09, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Mark" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:54:40 +0100, "mileburner"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

The issues are complex because solving one problem can lead to another. For
example, if you remove the parked cars, (legal or not), you end up with
increased traffic speeds. The biggest problem (and the one which can most
easily be tackled) is the school eliminating the problem of parents driving
their children right up to the school. What this *will* do is have a major
impact in the volume of traffic itself. Another thing that has worked well
outside my childrens school is they have painted a cycle lane. This has
stopped parents stopping and parking in it and the pedestrians now use it as
additional footway - oh yes, the cyclists just ride out wider into the ever
narrowing road. As a result of the ever narrowing road, the amount of
traffic which now try to use it as a rat-run has decreased sharply.

Old April 30th 09, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

mileburner twisted the electrons to say:
The biggest problem (and the one which can most easily be tackled) is
the school eliminating the problem of parents driving their children
right up to the school.

Seems some parents aren't at all happy about not being able to pick their
little darlings up from right outside school :-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/5244543/Traffic-wardens-stoned-by-parents-outside-school.html

"Traffic wardens have been told to patrol in pairs outside five schools
after parents became so angry about a parking crackdown that they threw
stones at them."
Old April 30th 09, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RudiL

On 30 Apr, 16:58, Alistair Gunn wrote:
mileburner twisted the electrons to say:

The biggest problem (and the one which can most easily be tackled) is
the school eliminating the problem of parents driving their children
right up to the school.

Seems some parents aren't at all happy about not being able to pick their
little darlings up from right outside school :-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/52445...

"Traffic wardens have been told to patrol in pairs outside five schools
after parents became so angry about a parking crackdown that they threw
stones at them."

It seems that for some motorists the term cager is entirely
appropriate as they seem unable to park a few blocks away and walk, or
use public transport, or cycle ...

Rudi
Old April 30th 09, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:19:56 +0100, "mileburner"
wrote:

snip

The biggest problem (and the one which can most
easily be tackled) is the school eliminating the problem of parents driving
their children right up to the school.

How do the school stop that?

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

Old April 30th 09, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

mileburner wrote:

[re the school run "problem":]

The issues are complex because solving one problem can lead to another. For
example, if you remove the parked cars, (legal or not), you end up with
increased traffic speeds. The biggest problem (and the one which can most
easily be tackled) is the school eliminating the problem of parents driving
their children right up to the school.

How? The school cannot dictate to parents about what they may or may not do
on the highway. And why is it a problem that parents bring their children to
school?

What this *will* do is have a major impact in the volume of traffic itself.

It might if it were possible (though it would create other problems). But it
isn't, so it won't.

Another thing that has worked well
outside my childrens school is they have painted a cycle lane. This has
stopped parents stopping and parking in it and the pedestrians now use it as
additional footway - oh yes, the cyclists just ride out wider into the ever
narrowing road. As a result of the ever narrowing road, the amount of
traffic which now try to use it as a rat-run has decreased sharply.

Congestion has that effect. Less reason to want to stop the "school run".

Chapman's OWN Web Page: "I Hate Motorists" Chapman Is A Liar UK 15 October 22nd 08 04:29 AM
I Still Hate Motorists, Even Though I've Just Changed My Site To Attempt To Cover It Up Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_] UK 7 October 19th 08 11:32 PM
I Hate Motorists _[_4_] UK 4 October 10th 08 06:57 PM
Testosterone test: isotope test gabriel faure Racing 66 August 3rd 06 09:15 PM
Motorists will even hate us more now Peter Wilson Australia 8 August 5th 05 03:17 AM