Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Old June 8th 04, 01:46 PM
JJuggle

Default Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

UNICYCLISTS HEAD NORTH FOR ANNUAL CONFERENCE

237 words
Newsquest Media Group Newspapers
English
© Copyright 2004 Newsquest Digital Media.

the North East

UNICYCLISTS from across Britain came to the region yesterday for their
annual conference.

The three-day event began last night with more than 250 unicyclists
holding a unicycle celeidh dance.

Other events to be held at the convention at St Michael's RC Secondary
School, in Billingham, will include the British Unicycle Hockey
Championships.

The 11th annual convention has been organised by the Stockton Unicycle
and Juggling Club and this is the first time it has come to the
North-East.

Roger Davies, of Stockton, whose Internet-based unicycle supply business
is the largest in Europe, is one of the organisers.

He said: "We've got people coming from the length and breadth of Britain
but I'm disappointed we're not getting more. After all, it's only once a
year.

"We've organised a few things and I'm looking forward to getting them to
cycle over to Guisborough where we can do some mountain riding and have
off-road trials on our unicycles.

"My favourite event, though, is the hockey and it's great just to meet
up with people and have some laughs."

The convention ends tomorrow evening. Previously, it has been held in
Birmingham, Leeds, Cardiff, Edinburgh, North Wales, Kidderminster and
Exeter.

Anyone interested in joining the Stockton Unicycle and Juggling Club can
call Mr Davies on his work number (01642) 361203.

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

'6th Annual LBI Unithon - Sat, June 5, 2004'
(http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon)

I'm cold, wet, sore, my crotch hurts and I have gas...but I'm great. -
rider comment during the 6th LBI Unithon
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old June 10th 04, 03:53 PM
Borges

'Article in the Swedish magazine \"Häst Liv\" (Horse Life)'
(http://www.tv4.se/visa/?ID=312814)

... skipping to the unicycle part ...

translation
To ride a unicycle is an exercise out of the ordinary. But for those who
dare, it's a great exercise. You're forced to keep your balance without
holding on to anything, which is great practice for not, by reflex, to
grab e.g. the bridle and thereby tug at the horses mouth. On a unicycle
you even get a good understanding of the way you give the horse signals
by shifting your weight. Even the slightest shifting of the weight from
one sit bone to the other will make the unicycle react. The same is the
case for the horse, tiny, tiny changes are enough to make your signals
reach the horse.

/translation

Cykla enhjuling är en övning lite utöver det vanliga. Men för den som
vågar är det en bra övning. Du tvingas hålla balansen utan att hålla i
något, vilket är bra träning för att inte reflexmässigt vilja ta tag i
t.ex. tyglarna och rycka hästen i munnen. På en enhjuling får du även en
bra förståelse för vikthjälpernas inverkan. Det minsta du lägger vikten
på ena eller andra sittbenet så förflyttar sig cykeln. Detsamma gäller
ju för hästen, det räcker med små, små hjälper för att dina signaler
till hästen ska nå fram.

--
Borges

"However, I confess that the ultimate wheel lacks the day to day
practicality of the conventional unicycle" -Mikefule
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

Old June 16th 04, 01:43 PM
JJuggle

UNICYCLIST PUTS UP GOOD EFFORT IN TRIP ACROSS STATE

By NOEMI HERRERA The Kansas City Star
549 words
The Kansas City Star
1
4
English
Copyright (c) 2004, The Kansas City Star. All rights reserved.

"It was one of the most physically challenging things I've ever done in
my life."

Though 60 miles short of becoming the first unicyclist to roll across
the width of Kansas, Troy Calkins said the experience was incredible and
worth the sore muscles.

"It was very taxing on the body and a mind game in afternoon," said the
33-year-old Olathe resident who participated in the 30th Annual Biking
Across Kansas last week.

From Sharon Springs, Kan., near the Colorado border, to Leavenworth,
software developer Calkins gave it his all during the 489-mile,
eight-day trip through Kansas in the name of cancer awareness.

He said it was Mother Nature who put a monkey wrench in his goal of
pedaling through the state on one wheel.

"I made it every day except three," he recounted, describing the heat
and winds as unbearable on some days. "We had 100 degree temperatures
and 30- to 40-mile-per-hour winds on some days. They were the most
grueling days we all had."

He wasn't the only one to "SAG out." SAG is a term used for the support
vehicle that drives cyckusts to the next resting point if needed.

On one particular windy day, there was a large majority of bikers who
did not finish the leg, he said.

Nevertheless, while he cannot say he completed the course on his own leg
power, the experience was amazing.

He had a chance to speak about his cause for cancer awareness to all the
cyclists during a gathering.

"Everybody was talking about it," Calkins said. "Every day, 700 people
would pass me on route and say ‘good morning,' or say ‘keep up the good
work.'

But when the faster cyclists passed him, the afternoons turned long and
lonely, making the ride a test of his dedication.

He said, all along the way, it was the encouragement and stories of
cancer he heard along the way that kept him going.

"Some were calling me a hero and that I am an inspiration to them," he
said.

Other cyclists shared their stories with Calkins – some told him about
their loved ones' fight with cancer and some said they themselves were
living with it.

He said he must have heard about 20 or 30 cancer stories, including one
man who approached Calkins with a story of his late wife who died of
cancer. He also thanked Calkins for his effort.

"I was touched by how many people cancer has touched," he said. "It was
more than I ever expected."

He said the journey was an accomplishment, despite the SAG outs.

"The whole experience was a success," he said. "I would most likely not
do it again on a unicycle. It would be so much fun on a bicycle."

To donate

Visit www.unicyclekansas.com and click on the donation button. Money
donated online will deposit directly to the Kansas City Stowers
Institute for Medical Research. People may also write a check or send
money orders to the attention of Sherry Russell, administrative
assistant at the Stowers Institute, 1000 E. 50th Street, Kansas City, MO
64110. Write Calkins' name or ‘Unicycle Kansas' on the memo line.

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Whenever we drive, the road feels longer than what we've cycled. - Lars
Clausen, -One Wheel - Many Spokes-, page 48
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old June 21st 04, 12:03 PM
JJuggle

*OY!* sorry, can't find the picture.

*Caption only: COMMUTER VEHICLE*

39 words
Guelph Mercury
Final
C6
English
Copyright (c) 2004 Guelph Mercury.

CAPTION

Photo: TYLER BROWNBRIDGE, GUELPH MERCURY / Dean Graham, 36, owner of
Trend Hair Design at the University of Guelph, gets around campus on a
new unicycle. He calls the bike a "new toy".

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Faith's understanding is first and foremost not achievement, but
sympathy, empathy, care, concern, kindness -- in a word, compassion. -
Lars Clausen, -One Wheel - Many Spokes-, page 58
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old June 21st 04, 01:24 PM
GILD

JJuggle wrote:
* He calls the bike a "new toy". *

OY! indeed

is that like the worst sentence in the history of english or what?!?

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser (ocfopgm)

If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.
-- Alice Roosevelt Longworth
'[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
(http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
Namaste!
Dave

Old June 23rd 04, 05:55 PM
johnfoss

That's Michigan for ya. A guy rides a bike one mile to work and his
co-workers think he's a crackpot. Another guy rides his unicycle and
seems to get less attention. ??

Notice how reporters seem to keep inventing the word "municycle?" Are we
feeding them this word? I never see it used here. Only the press uses
it. I think they may assume it because we say "muni" and we say
"unicycle" and they must just stick them together. I'll try to remember,
in the future, to remind reporters that "municycle" is not a word. Of
course MUni is...

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
trail.

Old June 24th 04, 02:43 PM
JJuggle

Side note: In no way a reflection on this young person, but I'm getting
*really* tired of the adverb, *wheely*.

LYNDSEY'S LATEST BALANCING ACT

131 words
Newsquest Media Group Newspapers
English
© Copyright 2004 Newsquest Digital Media.

Stratford_upon_avon

STRATFORD schoolgirl Lyndsey Coldicott has come up with a wheely great
idea to raise money for charity.

Lyndsey, aged 11, from Sackville Close, will be riding on a unicycle
collecting money for the charity Action Unlimited at a garden party in
Billesley next month.

The soon-to-be Stratford High School pupil is something of a serial
fundraiser. Last year she walked along the canal towpaths from
Birmingham to Stratford with her friend, Amanda Keal, to raise money for
the Welcombe Hills School.

And all her good work for charitable causes was recognised earlier this
year when she received a Young Hero award in the Pride of Coventry and
Warwickshire Community Awards.

To make a donation, contact Heather Coldicott on 01789 292290.

Old June 24th 04, 04:59 PM
U-Turn

JJuggle wrote:
*Side note: In no way a reflection on this young person, but I'm
getting really* tired of the adverb, *wheely*.

Yes, but can you do one?

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'