Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Old February 23rd 04, 03:25 PM
Sofa

Default Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

JJuggle wrote:
*
"Perhaps in a few months I'll be able to juggle three papers while I'm
unicycling," he laughed.

*

That's gold!

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx) *79* reviews on
*53* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old March 1st 04, 04:07 PM
JJuggle

BARENBOIM DOES IT ALL IN BEETHOVEN CONCERTOS

By Alan G. Artner, Tribune staff reporter.
505 words
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Final
31
English
Copyright 2004, Chicago Tribune. All Rights Reserved.

Late in life, Arthur Rubinstein, one of a series of legendary musicians
who influenced Daniel Barenboim, gave a number of programs made up of
famous piano concertos.

Thursday night at Orchestra Hall, Barenboim bettered his forebear by
leading from the keyboard two of those concertos and, in between,
conducting one of the 20th Century's most difficult orchestral pieces.

It was the high-culture equivalent of riding a unicycle with an acrobat
on his shoulders and juggling.

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Just say just this once.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old March 1st 04, 04:11 PM
JJuggle

*Mr. President, let's open up misery to all; Take off the rose-colored
glasses*

589 words
The Wilkes-Barre Times Leader (PA)
English
(c) Copyright 2004, The Wilkes-Barre Times Leader. All Rights Reserved.

They have lived and loved and struggled to make their relationship work.
And they think they've found the one, the person they want to spend the
rest of their lives with.

Now, they want to seal it with a kiss. More specifically, a wedding
kiss.

But President Bush has reason to believe that these good people should
not be united in holy matrimony, even if the state they live in decides
to allow it. And the president has chosen to speak now instead of
holding his peace.

In fact, he's doing everything he can to prevent same-sex couples from
dragging the old ball and chain around...

...Gays may think that marriage is a journey through life on a bicycle
built for two.

But they should know that about half the time, married couples find
themselves on separate paths riding unicycles. And the next thing you
know, you'll be fighting over who gets the Shih Tzu and the tea cup
collection.

Old March 4th 04, 07:26 AM
Klaas Bil

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:11:15 -0600, JJuggle wrote:

..Gays may think that marriage is a journey through life on a bicycle
built for two.

But they should know that about half the time, married couples find
themselves on separate paths riding unicycles.

Quoteworthy if not a bit long. Keep them coming, JJuggle!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Heck, even my toes were aching from trying to grip the soles of my shoes! - Tommy Thompson"

Old March 15th 04, 01:59 PM
JJuggle

LETTERS; Nader still guaranteed to stir strong sentiments

482 words
Los Angeles Times
Home Edition
E-4
English
Copyright 2004 The Los Angeles Times

If Ralph Nader truly believes that by running for president he'll draw
more Republican voters away from Bush than from Kerry, he probably also
thinks that car buyers who read his book "Unsafe at Any Speed"
thereafter traded in their Chevys for unicycles. Wake up and get your
big fat ego out of the way, Ralph; you're blocking the Democrats' road
back to the White House.

--
JJuggle - Bombast Extraordinaire

'6th Annual LBI Unithon - Sat, June 5, 2004'
(http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon)
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old March 15th 04, 02:28 PM
Robbie

"There are no brakes so you have to be quite strong as well."

Did he really notice all that much from what he says he's "discovered"
on the interenet? Even I know unicycles can have brakes, and MUni's
commonly do.

--
Robbie - Spoons Taste Good

'Link-a-Sauros-Rex' (http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=2049484)
Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302

Old March 22nd 04, 05:51 PM
JJuggle

Article on Gilby and tinyurl.com: http://tinyurl.com/yuq6b .

--
JJuggle - Bombast Extraordinaire

'6th Annual LBI Unithon - Sat, June 5, 2004'
(http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon)

I got blisters on my fingers!
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old March 22nd 04, 05:52 PM
JJuggle

UNICYCLE PUTS MAN ON ROAD TO INTERNET BUSINESS SUCCESS

Allison McCrory
Freelance OK
536 words
Pensacola News Journal
2C
English
(c) Copyright 2004, Pensacola News Journal. All Rights Reserved.

Allison McCrory

News Journal correspondent

A full-time business, shipping unicycles around the globe, was not even
a distant dream when Escambia County native John Drummond and his wife,
Amy, launched an Internet store five years ago.

``This was just going to be a hobby when we launched unicycle.com,''
Drummond said from his home near Atlanta. ``At first I just wanted to
sell enough to buy other unicycles.''

At the time, he worked for IBM and enlisted the help of three-time world
unicycling champion John Foss as an adviser to get the business off the
ground. The response was so great that Drummond eventually gave up his
job with IBM to devote himself full time to the business, which grossed
nearly $1 million in sales in the last year.

Drummond traces his business roots to his brother, Bob, who took up the
hobby after being inspired by a girlfriend's unicycling little brother.

Driving home from church one Sunday after the family had moved to
Milton, a 12-year-old Drummond decided that like his brother, Bob, he
would master the sport - no matter how long it took.

``I remember sitting in the back seat of my parents' car, and I just
made up my mind I was going to learn to ride,'' he said. ``And I think I
spent eight hours, and by the end of the day, I could probably go 10
feet.''

That was the beginning of a hobby that would weave in and out of
Drummond's life. He delivered newspapers by way of a unicycle in Santa
Rosa County and enjoyed the hobby until age 16, when the lure of four
wheels took over.

School, a career with IBM, marriage and a family crowded out the latent
interest, Drummond said.

``It was in storage for 20-something years. Every time IBM would move
us, it would be, `Oh, there it is.' "

The old unicycle, which eventually got left in the driveway by his
children and subsequently run over, was replaced with a new model six
years ago, and his passion was rekindled.

Ferry Pass Elementary School fifth-grader Ross Shirer shopped around
before using Christmas money to order a unicycle from Drummond's
business.

``It's cheaper there. I checked a whole bunch of other sites, too,''
said Ross, who found his Torker cycle at another online store for $30
more.

Drummond takes a humble approach when assessing the success of the
business. He gives God and his wife Amy, whom he calls a ``master
administrator,'' much of the credit for the company's success.

``There's definitely been a divine hand in all this, and there's no way
I can take all the credit for all that we've been able to do,'' Drummond
said. ``We pray continually.''

PHOTO

Special to the News Journal

John Drummond, center, and his three sons and wife all ride unicycles.
From left, they are Casey, 15, Sawyer, 9, and Zachary, 12, and Amy. The
two older boys recently took medals at a world championship, while the
youngest has won an award at a national competition.

Old March 29th 04, 03:48 PM
JJuggle

UNICYCLIST'S HOBBY IS A MONEYMAKER ; \"WHERE'S YOUR OTHER WHEEL?\"

Annie Thompson (540) 981-3340
679 words
Roanoke Times & World News
METRO
B1
English
Copyright (c) 2004 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All
rights reserved.

The question Erik Evans hears most often is "Where's your other wheel?"

I don't need it, the unicyclist says.

Evans, 23, works as a cook at Three Little Pigs in the Roanoke City
Market building. But it's his sideline that is raising some eyebrows
downtown: He's getting into the food delivery business around the
market. His special one-wheel delivery style already has won a couple
regulars and earned him some nice tips.

Evans, a mountain biker, got into the sport when his mom gave him a
unicycle for Christmas.

The Roanoke native practiced in the market building mezzanine by holding
onto the rail and going in circles nearly every afternoon for two weeks.

People were amused by Evans' new hobby, but some doubted whether he'd
ever be good at it. "They would say 'you can't ride that' and he'd say,
'just give me time,' " said Clyde Merchant, a maintenance worker at the
market building.

Then one day, "Somebody asked if I did deliveries and I said I'd try
it," Evans said.

That was two weeks ago.

He stays within the downtown area but has gone as far as the Rescue
Mission with food deliveries. So far, he delivers only orders that he
can carry in one hand.

Riding a unicycle is faster than walking and not as cumbersome as a
bicycle, he said. He's fallen three or four times, but doesn't bother
wearing a helmet.

Evans gets a lot of smiles as he rides his unicycle, and kids really
seem to like it, he said.

The police, however, were not so amused. One officer told him he can't
ride it on sidewalks, so Evans and his unicycle share the road with
cars.

Little Louie from Burger in the Square gave Evans the nickname "side
show" when he started riding it in the market building while he was
learning.

"The guy has ambition," said Adel Eltawansy, owner of Zorba in the
market building. "One time after trying it many times he just took off.
He's just the kind of guy who's very good at this kind of thing."

Evans occasionally walks his dog, Dakota, while riding his unicycle.

Unicycling may be far from the national pastime, but there are more
adherents than one might think. John Foss, director of the International
Unicycling Federation, said about 1 million Americans can claim the
unicyclist title though many of them haven't ridden in years. About 10
million people ride unicycles internationally. Japan accounts for the
bulk of that number with 6 million. Unicycles are standard equipment in
Japanese schools, where students learn to ride them while they're young,
Foss said.

According to Foss, mountain unicycling is the fastest-growing segment of
the sport. With a few thousand participants, this extreme sport is
gaining attention rapidly.

That's the direction Evans says he plans to take. He wants to get good
enough on his unicycle to buy a mountain unicycle. He's already
practicing at Elmwood Park, where he rides the hills and goes down the
stairs.

"Any trail, any downhill I can ride on my mountain bike I'd like to do
on my unicycle," Evans said.

Caption: Photos by STEPHANIE KLEIN-DAVIS The Roanoke Times - 1. Erik
Evans, 23, rides his unicycle on Campbell Avenue in downtown Roanoke on
Wednesday as he makes a lunch delivery from the Roanoke City Market
building. His mother, Pat Evans, gave him the unicycle for Christmas. 2.
Erik Evans leaves the Salem Avenue side of the Roanoke City Market
building Wednesday to make a food delivery. 3. Erik Evans picks up a
food order to deliver Wednesday. People were amused by his new hobby,
but some doubted whether he'd master it. "They would say 'you can't ride
that' and he'd say, 'just give me time,'" said Clyde Merchant, a
maintenance worker at the market building.

--
JJuggle - Bombast Extraordinaire

'6th Annual LBI Unithon - Sat, June 5, 2004'
(
http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon)

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you
a radical, liberal, fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable!
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old March 29th 04, 03:50 PM
JJuggle

MOAB MOUNTAINS WILL BE CRAWLING WITH UNICYCLES

Lisa Church
453 words
The Salt Lake Tribune
D2
English
Copyright (c) 2004 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All
rights reserved.

One-wheeled daredevils determined to conquer Moab's world-famous
slickrock will gather this weekend for the fifth annual Moab Mountain
Unicycle Festival.

Festival organizer Rolf Thompson says 115 riders have registered for
this year's event, making it the largest gathering of mountain
unicyclists -- known as MUni -- to ever be assembled in the United
States.

The first Moab MUni Fest was a small affair that drew about 12 riders,
including Thompson's family -- he has sons and a daughter who ride
mountain unicycles -- and family friends from Idaho who also enjoy the
sport. Last year, participation in the event mushroomed to about 70
riders including some of the best mountain unicyclists in North America.
But nothing prepared the Sandy resident for the onslaught of e-mails and
telephone calls he received this year.

"It's kind of catching on," he says. "It's really amazing. Before this,
the largest mountain unicycling event in the country drew about 80
people. We're going to smash that with our number this year."

Thompson credits Dan Heaton, a MUni champion rider and filmmaker, with
generating much of the increased interest in the Moab event. Heaton's
new film, "Universe 2," includes footage of riders at the 2003 Moab MUni
Fest. Thompson says the combination of spectacular scenery and
mind-blowing stunts have led to an explosion of queries for the 2004
festival.

"The sport is growing," Thompson says. "But I'm not so nave as to
believe that Moab doesn't cast a spell on people. They see this place,
and what some of these riders can do here, and it makes them want to try
it themselves."

The list of participants for 2004 reads like a who's who of extreme
unicyclists: Heaton and fellow champion Kris Holm will attend, and John
Drummond, founder of http://www.unicycle.com and one of the first
designers of the mountain unicycle, are among this year's riders.

The 2004 Moab MUni Fest will include trial events -- short courses that
challenge riders to maneuver obstacles, hop their bikes from one rock
ledge to another, and navigate difficult terrain with speed and balance
to test their skills. Thompson says the trials are open to riders of all
abilities, and he encourages spectators to attend the events.

The festival kicks off Friday with group rides and an evening dinner. On
Saturday morning, riders will gather for trials at the Fins 'n Things
trail in the Sand Flats Recreation Area on Moab's east side.

Caption: Christian Marchant, 18, left, and cousin, Karl Thompson, 16,
show off their technical skills on Moab's Slickrock Trail in 2003.