Further to Claire Petersky's rant

Old June 2nd 04, 03:02 AM
psycholist

Default Further to Claire Petersky's rant

I've been frequenting the same bike shop for the last dozen years. I tried
one time to figure up all the money I've spent there. I think it's $40,000
easily. That's probably low. I've bought several bikes, several sets of
expensive wheels, a universal gym, countless tires and tubes, clothing,
helmets, shoes, etc. etc.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone in there and found nothing but new
faces to whom I'm absolutely nobody. It's really rather frustrating. I
live in the country ... 45 minutes away from this store. If I'm there, it's
because I really need something. And often I get the kind of "X" er
treatment Claire describes. It drives me nuts.

The manager, when he's there, is very attentive to me and acknowledges me
with valued customer treatment. I've told him several times, though that he
should ask for pictures of his most valuable customers so he can make a
board to go behind the counter. It would have customer pics and names ...
maybe even a little data like, "serious roadie" or something ... so that the
brain-dead college kids who he hires might also be able to acknowledge a
valued customer.

It just doesn't seem like it would be that hard a thing to do. And I don't
really blame the college kids so much as I do the manager. How are they
supposed to know? But the manager should see that they know.

Bob C.

Old June 2nd 04, 03:53 AM
Doug Cook

"psycholist" wrote in message
[...]

They don't need a board with "serious customer" pics. They need to treat
everyone like a 40K guy, and it'll become a self-fulfilling prophecy. You
may have spent $40k there, but the next guy who hasn't spent a dime might be
future $40k guy. I spent a number of years in high school and college
selling electronics in a high end specialty store. We were trained on saled
skills, product knowledge, and on how to treat everyone like gold whether
they came in for a $5 cable or a $5K Bang & Olufsen. It was amazing how man
y $5 customers came back for the $5K purchase once they had been treated
right.

Now, 20 years later, I'm a Sale/Marketing consultant who continues to do
work for numerous Fortune 500s. The complete abandonment of retail skills
leaves me befuddled. NO One is taking care of the customer. If someone
did, they'd put everyone else in the area out of business. To the shop
owner who claims he can't afford to train his people, I call bull****. I
can sit you down and in 15 minutes show you the ROI... it'll blow your socks
off. But here's the problem. The change of atmosphere requires complete
commitment from the owner/manager or the established habits of everyone in
the store won't change. He might even have to fire some people who don't or
won't change. Sadly most managers are too lazy or too poorly organized to
invest the time and energy needed to make the change in themselves. Don't
blame the clerks. They're just doing what they've been taught... either
directly or by example.

That all being said... there's a new LBS about 40 miles south owned by a
couple of former team managers. They seem to be doing it right! Prompt,
courteous, and knowledgeable service every time I walk in there, and
beautiful store with eye candie as well as the basics. I go there now for
everything except small, emergency items. And funny thing is... every time
I walk in there, it's more and more crowded. Go figure!

Old June 2nd 04, 05:10 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"psycholist" wrote in message ...
expensive wheels, a universal gym, countless tires and tubes, clothing,
helmets, shoes, etc. etc.

Bob the thing is, if I worked in a bike shop and I knew you
the guy who bought something like a universal gym, then I
probably would either ignore you or treat you bad.

I deal with the public 8 hours every week day, and believe me,
I know how to treat people very very badly.

Old June 2nd 04, 05:36 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

The manager, when he's there, is very attentive to me and acknowledges me
with valued customer treatment. I've told him several times, though that

he
should ask for pictures of his most valuable customers so he can make a
board to go behind the counter. It would have customer pics and names ...
maybe even a little data like, "serious roadie" or something ... so that

the
brain-dead college kids who he hires might also be able to acknowledge a
valued customer.

It just doesn't seem like it would be that hard a thing to do. And I

don't
really blame the college kids so much as I do the manager. How are they
supposed to know? But the manager should see that they know.

Wouldn't fly with me. My opinion is that all customers are special, and the
one who hasn't yet spent $30k or even $500 in the shop is perhaps the one
who hasn't yet been properly helped, maybe because too many people were
"hanging out" with the dudes who have their photos on the wall. The irony
is that I have about the world's worst memory for names, so, for me, it
would be great if there was a way I could quickly remember who's who in the
zoo! I've thought about mandatory name tags for customers as they come in
the door...

But seriously, if I were a customer whose name wasn't on the wall of fame,
and yet I felt like I'd been a pretty decent customer, I might decide it's
time to go someplace else. The more people you list on something like that,
the more you offend who aren't. And if you keep it to an extremely
selective few, then it's not doing that much good for your staff anyway.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 2nd 04, 06:42 AM
S o r n i

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

I deal with the public 8 hours every week day, and believe me,
I know how to treat people very very badly.

I swear to God you work in the Trek Super Snore here in San Diego.

Bill "just about the biggest 'tude I've ever encountered" S.

Old June 2nd 04, 07:22 AM
Marty Feldman

"psycholist" wrote in message ...
I've been frequenting the same bike shop for the last dozen years. I tried
one time to figure up all the money I've spent there. I think it's $40,000
easily. That's probably low. I've bought several bikes, several sets of
expensive wheels, a universal gym, countless tires and tubes, clothing,
helmets, shoes, etc. etc.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone in there and found nothing but new
faces to whom I'm absolutely nobody.

oh, i know what you mean. whenever i bring this up at the whorehouse
i've been frequenting for the last dozen years, they always mumble
something about high volume and low margins, before giving me a number
and making me wait in the corner. i want somebody to know me, dammit.
and if they do know me, they better be sincere about it, or i'll file
a complaint. after all, i'm willing to pay a little more for
sincerity.

It's really rather frustrating. I
live in the country ... 45 minutes away from this store. If I'm there, it's
because I really need something. And often I get the kind of "X" er
treatment Claire describes. It drives me nuts.

The manager, when he's there, is very attentive to me and acknowledges me
with valued customer treatment.

yeah, but does he hold your hand and whisper sweet nuthins into your
ear?

Old June 2nd 04, 02:33 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:02:07 -0400, "psycholist"
wrote:

I've been frequenting the same bike shop for the last dozen years. I tried
one time to figure up all the money I've spent there. I think it's $40,000
easily. That's probably low. I've bought several bikes, several sets of
expensive wheels, a universal gym, countless tires and tubes, clothing,
helmets, shoes, etc. etc.

Damn. I don't think I've spent $ 40,000 total on bike stuff in my
life. Getting close to 40 years of riding and probably 10-12 bikes,
but, nope, even counting the trailers and counting both tandems on my
account, I guess I'm going to fall a few thousand short.

Maybe I need to stop patching my tubes so much. Or buy more fancy
shorts. Start racing again and bend a few frames or something.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old June 2nd 04, 04:07 PM
psycholist

"Doug Cook" wrote in message
They don't need a board with "serious customer" pics. They need to treat
everyone like a 40K guy, ... (snip)

You're exactly right. They should treat EVERYONE like a 40K customer
instead of treating them like they're distupting whatever it was they were
doing before we walked through the door.

Bob C.

Old June 2nd 04, 04:22 PM
psycholist

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Yes, I'll agree that EVERYONE should be treated like they're a $40k
customer. But isn't it obvious that, if they're not treating a $40K
customer like they're anybody that NOBODY is getting proper attention?

Nope. You know what ... I don't agree afterall. I think all customers
deserve to be treated special, but extra special customers deserve to be
treated EXTRA special. Everyone who goes to a nice restaurant expects good
service and a good meal. But those who frequent that restaurant regularly
and have gotten to know the staff and the chef have a right to expect the
best tables and a little something special from the kitchen every now and
then. That's the way it works.

I think you're making a big mistake as a bike shop owner if you don't think
a guy who's spent a ton of money in your shop isn't going to resent NOT
being treated a little better than he sees you treating your average
customer.

Of course I'm not advocating ignoring anybody. All customers should be
given good service. But I think you're really wrong if you think, in a
business like a bike shop, you can afford not to treat your best customers
extra special.

I am a very good customer. I'm very reasonable. I expect my LBS to make a
profit. I expect to pay for the service I get. I'm not like some customers
I see who expect the LBS to match the lowest price they can find on the
internet and who gripe about everything. But I expect my years of loyalty
to that store to be recognized and appreciated. As it stands, I'd go
elsewhere in a heartbeat if I had a viable alternative.

Bob C.

Old June 2nd 04, 04:27 PM
psycholist

wrote:

[...]

Or have a family and buy bikes for your wife and kids, plus all their
accessories, and get hit by cars TWICE and have insurance pay for full
replacement, etc.

And how much do you ride? I ride 12,000 miles per year on average. I go
through quite a few chains, cassettes, tires, saddles, lube, etc.

If you've been riding 40 years and you've been through 10 or 12 bikes and
you don't think you've spent $40,000 then I'm betting you don't know how to
count.

Bob C.