Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

Old June 4th 04, 08:51 PM
Mark Buell

Default Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

Please hold, snipping . . .
says...
Stephen Harding wrote in message ...
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

The frustration people will find with these walmart/discount parts
will lead them to buying decent parts at their LBS.

Maybe. Or perhaps people will think that's normal for bike stuff
and decide cycling's not worth the hassle. That, to me, is the

snip

I just bought one. I certainly accept the critical comments about
these bikes, but I'm just not serious about bikes. Many of my friends
have various expensive toys and $1200 bicycles but I generally do OK
with my much cheaper stuff. It will be interesting to see how the
Walmart bike holds up -- or falls apart. I'm not going to be jumping
it or riding it cross-country. As for changing a tire I think dry rot
would be my primary risk. Fifty miles a week for half the year just
doesn't wear tires out.

Realistically if it wasn't for the department stores most kids would
grow up without a bike, so a cheezy bike was still better than no
bike. If mom and dad did finally buy you a nice bike, what happened?
It got stolen.

Hmmm, interesting. I bought a *mart 10-speed in between college years to
get to work back in the early 70's. Rode it till a seatstay broke its
braze. Although I rode to work every day (10 or 20 miles rt), I probably
only got a thousand or two on that frame. My kid brother took possesion,
rebrazed the frame and used it for a casual exercise machine for years.
It never saw much mileage, but it did see some life.

When the mtb craze started, I bought a soft-steel frame Tiawanese frame
to give the idea a test ride. Put that frame through some hoops, and
ended up with stress bends near the head tube. The matching frame I
bought at the same time for my then-wife fared better, but didn't get
ridden hard.

I've also ridden low and mid-range LBS type bikes and components to
death. Sometimes intentionally, just to see how long something would
last.

After all that, I've come to the conclusion that the *mart bikes have a
place in this world. They've given me better value than a lot of low-end
LBS stuff. But, when the riding gets serious, then I need the best parts
I can afford. When I've been in a pack hitting a stiff climb, or heading
for a prime, a bad shift is a real bitch. And heavy tires are a drag.

Mark
Old June 5th 04, 12:59 PM
Frederic Briere

GRL wrote:
Sorry, but that's the way my mail client, Outlook Express works. I apologize
for the inconvenience to you.

I'm quite fond of this wonderful comment:

Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happened to be is
like ****ting in your pants because that's where your asshole happened
to be.
-- Andreas Prilop

Damn that Bill Gates!

You have no idea.

(Oh, if I had a gun... and a very good lawyer...)
--
Frederic Briere *

= IS NO MO http://www.abacomsucks.com =
Old June 5th 04, 01:22 PM
DRS

"GRL" wrote in message

Sorry, but that's the way my mail client, Outlook Express works. I
apologize for the inconvenience to you.

Problem solved: http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

Now you have no excuse for top posting.

--