Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

Old May 27th 04, 08:34 AM
Frederic Briere

Default Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

Dave Mayer wrote:
A kickstand

What, and run away from what might turn out to be a good touring bike?

Nutted wheel axles (i.e. no quick releases on wheels)

Oh, what *did* we do before they were invented...

Still, I agree with most of your list (though stuff like levers and
pedals can always be ripped off), but I was intrigued by this:

Steel chainrings

I was under the impression that aluminum chainrings, though lighter,
were also less durable. I can see how one might favor one or the other,
but is there a reason why you would reject those outright?

--
Frederic Briere *

= IS NO MO http://www.abacomsucks.com =
Old May 27th 04, 03:33 PM
Frederic Briere

David Kerber wrote:
Oh, what *did* we do before they were invented...

Carried a wrench around with us GGG.

I still carry a 6" wrench even though I have no use for it. Lots of
non-QR bikes out there, and lots of toolless people riding them. It'd
be a shame not to be able to lend a hand.

"It's all in a day's work for... Bicycle Repairman."

Old May 27th 04, 10:42 PM
Rick Onanian

On 27 May 2004 09:33:06 -0500, Frederic Briere
wrote:
I still carry a 6" wrench even though I have no use for it. Lots of
non-QR bikes out there, and lots of toolless people riding them. It'd
be a shame not to be able to lend a hand.

When I mount a QR-fork-holder to my rear rack*, so I can tow found
bikes home, I'll have to start carrying a wrench.

*Thanks to David Kerber for the idea.
--
Rick Onanian
Old May 28th 04, 07:02 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Frederic Briere wrote:

Dave Mayer wrote:
A kickstand

What, and run away from what might turn out to be a good touring bike?

Nutted wheel axles (i.e. no quick releases on wheels)

Oh, what *did* we do before they were invented...

Still, I agree with most of your list (though stuff like levers and
pedals can always be ripped off), but I was intrigued by this:

Steel chainrings

I was under the impression that aluminum chainrings, though lighter,
were also less durable. I can see how one might favor one or the other,
but is there a reason why you would reject those outright?

It's not the parts that are inherently crappy. It's that they are
invariably features of the great number of very cheap department-store
bikes that lurk in garage sales.

Now, I actually race a superb Pinarello road bike that once had a
kickstand mounted on it (sigh), but that is the monstrous exception.
Similarly, if you see nutted wheel axles or steel rings, you know the
componentry is no good (because it goes along with dreadful,
probably-French derailleurs, steel rims, gas-pipe frames, lousy brakes,
etc.) If the maker cheaped out on those obvious things, then all the
less-visible bits (frame construction) aren't likely to be worth
considering either.

If you're wondering how bad a bike can get in cheapland, I have a story
for you. I lugged home a cheap MTB from clean-up week for the hope of
salvaging a few random parts. I thought the frame couldn't be too bad:
it had a prominent "4130 Cro-Moly" sticker on the seat tube, and the
bike was from the era when an all-Cro-Moly frame was the bright line
that marked off the good bikes from the bad.

As I hefted it, I couldn't believe how heavy this frame was. I took a
closer look at the sticker: "4130 Cro-Moly [and in small lettering] Seat
Tube."

The thing was a gaspipe abomination.

-RjC.
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old May 28th 04, 12:01 PM
bill

So what is the hangup with getting the lightest weight everything?
I lose about 4 pounds on a long hot ride even with water so why
should I care about a few grams on my bike?? Flat road = no difference,
downhill = faster, uphill = more exercise = reason I am riding.
I have a MTB with road semi slick on the back, good combo, heavy,
but I can go off road when I see something worth pursuing. Either way
I am getting a workout, even if not at 20 MPH.
Bill

Old May 29th 04, 02:15 AM
Mike Kruger

Default More on BSOs (bike-shaped-objects)

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message

In the roofing business, we get people asking for minor repairs
whose shingle roof is 30 years old and has finally leaked enough to
see water inside the house. Meanwhile, it's probably been leaking
into the woodwork for ten years, causing (at least) damage to the
roof sheathing, and maybe even interior mold or roof structure
damage. They can't see spending thousands of dollars when all they
have is a tiny leak.

They can't understand that the $200 repair job will be ineffective
no matter how well done, nor that their old roof surface is causing
expensive damage to the wood underneath.

Sure, you are generally correct, but here's my story:

In 1981, my wife and I bought a house built in 1911. We were the second
owners!

The house was in poor repair, which we knew. We were also strapped for cash.

The roof was leaking. From the looks of it, I needed a new roof. But I
called up a roofer my uncle-in-law recommended. The conversation went like
this:

Roofer: Where do you live?

me: (gave address in next town, on an obscure side street)

Roofer: That's a green roof, right? That's (previous owner's) old house?

me: Uh, yeah.

Roofer: I put that roof on in 1957. It shouldn't be leaking. Let me come
over.

The roofer took out an ornamental railing, put down some sheet goods and
tar, collected $115 from me and it didn't leak until a couple of years ago,
when another similar repair was needed. The old roofer died last year,
unfortunately, so I have to get bids from somebody else since some chunks
are now falling off. Doesn't leak, though. Part of the reason it doesn't
leak is that there are actually FOUR layers of roofing.

I'm anticipating a big bill. There's 90 years of tar-papered over problems
up there.

That's OK; I can afford it now.

Old May 29th 04, 08:22 AM
Frederic Briere

Rick Onanian wrote:
When I mount a QR-fork-holder to my rear rack*, so I can tow found
bikes home, I'll have to start carrying a wrench.

Interesting idea, but wouldn't the result be a tad unstable? Still, I'd
love to hear more about it when you're done.

(Incidentally, today I passed by a house with two used bikes for sale on
the front lawn. Unfortunately, they both had women's frame, so I didn't
bother. Apart from that, the only thing on the road that caught my
attention was a discarded teletubby. From what I've read, everybody
else seems to stumble daily upon used bikes, discarded power tools, wads
of municipal bonds, etc. Maybe I just live in a dull area?)

Old May 29th 04, 03:00 PM
Rick Onanian

On 29 May 2004 02:22:21 -0500, Frederic Briere
wrote:
(Incidentally, today I passed by a house with two used bikes for sale on
the front lawn. Unfortunately, they both had women's frame, so I didn't
bother. Apart from that, the only thing on the road that caught my

Nothing wrong with mixte frames. I use one for short Sunday morning
jaunts to the convenience store. Rides nice, and I don't have to
lock it.

attention was a discarded teletubby. From what I've read, everybody
else seems to stumble daily upon used bikes, discarded power tools,

Well, you just have to train your eyes, and put in lots of miles. I
don't put in lots of bicycling miles (by rec.bicycles standards,
anyway), but I do get a lot of road miles driving.

wads of municipal bonds, etc. Maybe I just live in a dull area?)

Somebody elsewhere posted that a McDonalds dumpster often contained
cash.
--
Rick Onanian
Old May 29th 04, 07:12 PM
Frederic Briere

Rick Onanian wrote:
Nothing wrong with mixte frames. I use one for short Sunday morning

Aren't they reportedly less stiff than DF? Of course, if you're putting
together a trashmo, that may not be a concern. Or maybe it is, if
you're hauling a load.

Heck, what do I know; my main justification was merely not to attract to
much attention.

jaunts to the convenience store. Rides nice, and I don't have to
lock it.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that...