Reagent grade ammonia to repel dogs?

Old September 23rd 04, 07:31 AM
Raoul Duke

"H" wrote in message
m...

Pepper spray, or any other weapon, creates a false sense of security.
One is better off avoiding known dicey situations.

The weapons I own create a very REAL sense of security.

In any case, the only way you can really use the stuff is if you are
not moving, or the dog is behind you. It would be quite stupid to
attempt to fire the pepper spray at something in front of you while
you are on a moving bike.

OK, so you stop.

There are all kinds of senarious that are possible, but in most
situations, one is better off by just accelerating past the threat or
avoiding it entirely.

If you want to allow a dog to decide where you can ride, go ahead. But I'm
not going to.

Dave

Old September 23rd 04, 11:56 PM
David Forbes

Having suffered permanent damage after coming off my bike while being
chased by dogs, I am all for permanently damaging the dogs. I would not
use reagent grade ammonia because of the danger to yourself: it is nasty
stuff. Make a mixture of pickling (7%) vinegar and habanero peppers.
Don't fall off trying to spray the dogs.

Zoot Katz wrote:

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:15:37 GMT,
, "David Pintos"
wrote:

I've read somewhere that reagent grade
ammonia works best to repel those nasty dogs.... Thanks.

Read it again. Reagent grade ammonia is used as last resort to
break-up dog fights in the show arenas. A towel is soaked in it and
thrown over the dog's head.

Do not squirt or spray dogs with ammonia as it can cause permanent
damage. Use vinegar or a commercial preparation like Halt.
--
zk

Old September 24th 04, 12:29 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:56:15 -0500, , David
Forbes wrote:

Having suffered permanent damage after coming off my bike while being
chased by dogs, I am all for permanently damaging the dogs.

My friend's father died riding head on into pick-up truck while
replacing his can of Halt in its handy holster.
--
zk