First day as a bike courier

Old February 7th 06, 01:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default First day as a bike courier

cfsmtb wrote:

Back to courier stuff, ensure you keep up a consistent daily
carbohydrate & liquid intake, and please keep an eye on your weight. If
you're hungry, eat. And don't rely too much on coffee & alcohol to get
you through (or over) the day. Ok that advice may not be scientific but
it did originally come from a courier. One more point, not all
receptionists have that 'door bitch' attitude. But some do. Ignore
them, do the job & have fun.

Morning and evening I load myself up with good food, plus start nibbling
on bread early-mid afternoon when my stomach starts hinting.

Energy starts to fade a little in the afternoon, but still feeling
alert. (But not alarmed. ..sorry

Probably eating some fruit throughout the day would help a bit.

Coffee and alcohol aren't things I do; 'though the sensory experiences
of consuming them can be great, caffeine and ethanol don't have much
appeal.

For some reason idiotic driving doesn't **** me off the way it used to;
too busy trying to get somewhere to let it bother me. But I'm now more
aware of it than ever. Hmm.. Just have fun -- that's the way.

-mkli
Old February 7th 06, 11:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Welcome to the riff raff.

I've been a pushi in town for too long. Up to 8 years now. Not on today
and don't like the heat. Drink a fair bit today but most of the heat comes
late in the day. Soon each day will be esier and you will find most days
don't faze you.

You will need to pick up on the job count though to make decent money. You
will get faster and most importantly get the better jobs the more you work
and longer you are there. The industry has changed a lot over the years and
its definately more laid back and less urgent.

Just rember its not worth getting yourself killed over a $3 job. Drop into
440 collins where we all hang and say hi. Who are you working for??

And I wouldn't recomend Cox, rapid or even blue circle as companies to work
for.

Chad

"mkli" wrote in message
Marx SS wrote:
Aren't tramways in Melb a godsend?

Ooh, they are nice. /Very/ handy especially when a car driver decides to
abruptly pull out.

The impact of pollution isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but the past
days have had a sea breeze. Still, my lungs feel like they're a bit more
clogged than usual.

- mkli.

Old February 8th 06, 04:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-02-07, (aka Bruce)
pase wrote:
what sort of credentials did u need to present to get the job?
who's your courier company?

Nothing, suprisingly; just that I like to ride and ride a lot. Perhaps
that I called out of the blue had something to it, and since I'm just a
contractor then what've they got to lose? If I'm too slow or then they can
ditch me without notice, no reason required.

Was it hippy[1] who was saying they rocked up to an interview where
everyone else was wearing a suit, and he was wearing cycling clothes?
And he was worried he wouldn't get the job because he was not dressed
up? Well, it turned out he was the one to get the job. You have to
be a cyclist, not a suit, to be any good at couriering.

[1] Don't think it was hippy, come to think of it. Dunno who it
was...

--
TimC
We don't need no education
Old February 8th 06, 04:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle

TimC wrote:

Was it hippy[1] who was saying they rocked up to an interview where
everyone else was wearing a suit, and he was wearing cycling clothes?
And he was worried he wouldn't get the job because he was not dressed
up? Well, it turned out he was the one to get the job. You have to
be a cyclist, not a suit, to be any good at couriering.

[1] Don't think it was hippy, come to think of it. Dunno who it
was...

That was me, first job I ever had.

daveB
Old February 8th 06, 05:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle

TimC Wrote:
You have to
be a cyclist, not a suit, to be any good at couriering.

well it aint rocket science.....

--
byron27

The Bike Show Danny Colyer UK 1 July 7th 05 10:24 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 11:28 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 09:44 PM