Help: Loose Headset Problem

Old February 1st 07, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
C.H. Luu

Default Help: Loose Headset Problem

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my headset always coming loose. After a few
bike rides the headset loosens up. I mount the stem on the steerer
tube of the fork and load the headset with the compresssion plug.
Everything works fine until I go for a long ride. I tried increasing
the load on the headset with the compression plug, but the problem
returns. I did notice something very odd on the headset. I use a
Cane Creek S-8 headset. The space between the upper cup and the
bearing cap is uniform when I load the headset to remove the play.
However, as soon as I torque down the stem's steer tube clamp bolts,
the spacing is no longer uniform. In fact, the spacing near the rear
of the headset becomes compressed, compared to the forward area of the
headset.

Does this mean that the bearings of the headset are no longer evenly
loaded, leading to the loosening of the headset? I do use a torque
wrench to tightened the stems steerer tube clamp bolts.

Hardwa

Headset - Cane Creek S-8
Stem - Thomson X2
Fork - Easton EC90 SLX (Carbon Steerer)
Compression Plug - Profile Design Compression Plug

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Claude

Old February 1st 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 1, 8:22 am, "C.H. Luu" wrote:
[...]

Are you sure the fork-crown race is properly seated?

As for the stem not being straight when you tighten it, what happens
if you flip the stem?

Joseph

Help: Loose Headset Problem C.H. Luu Techniques 3 February 1st 07 11:12 PM
headset loose? Zonta Techniques 11 December 15th 05 06:47 PM
Could This Be Loose Headset? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 32 April 6th 05 03:03 PM
Could This Be Loose Headset? Elisa Francesca Roselli UK 42 April 6th 05 03:03 PM
loose headset. help! flyingdutch Australia 2 August 6th 04 07:32 AM