How critical is road bike tire pressure max?

Old April 20th 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default How critical is road bike tire pressure max?

On 2018-04-18 18:16, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 6:02:49 PM UTC+1, Joerg wrote:
Just received some 25mm Vee Rubber road tires and it says 7bar
100psi max on the side. That's a bit low for my taste.

The Zafiro I have on there now says 100psi min and 130psi max which
is more up my alley.

By how much can a low max rating be exceeded? I like 100-115psi on
my road bike in back. On the front I won't exceed the max because
a blow-out would be nasty and that carries less weight anyhow.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Is this some new California fad, riding offroad on narrow rubber?
Whatever for? BTW, I have no problem with low- or zero-tread tyres
because I ride mainly on tarmac, even in the narrowest lanes, but
surely a mudplugger wants considerable mechanical grip.

No fad but road bikes out here must cope with road sections that are
either gravel or dirt. Part of life.

There's a good reason not to blow up tyres over the max
recommendation: It can get pretty nasty and expensive when
overinflated tyres blow the rim apart. It is well worth reading Andy
Blance, the designer of Sheldon's beloved Thorn bike, on tyre
inflation: see page 36 at
http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/th...a_brochure.pdf

It's a 30+ MB file and their server seems to be on an old dial-up line.

I was a convert to comfortable suspension and inflation regimes
already in my motor-racing days, and achieved the same results the
same way in cycling: see
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....16360#msg16360
(which is an extended version of a reply I first made on RBT to a
query by Pete Cresswell) and read on in the ensuing very
well-informed engineering discussion about ways of determining the
optimum tyre inflation.

In fact, there are all kinds of really good reasons for inflating
bicycle tyres to the lowest you can get away with short of snake
bites.

Right, and then you get a pinch flat or snake bite which is often
unfixable in the field. All it takes is one pothole. No thanks.

Do you not carry a tube? You can squeeze one in next to the heart-lung machine, rope, winch and iron rail segment used for pounding in chain-pins with found fence nails. There should be room in your pannier somewhere.

Yeah, I thought snake bite meant something else out there. Like through
the rim or something. I guess a spare tube is a cop out or something.
Myself, I carry two and I've hit a pothole before where I needed two.

Old April 20th 18, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-04-18 18:16, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

-- Jay Beattie.

Another reason for front-pocket classic race jerseys

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 20th 18, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 2018-04-18 18:16, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

chain-pins with found fence nails.Â* There should be room in your
pannier somewhere.

-- Jay Beattie.

Another reason for front-pocket classic race jerseys

Or seat bags...
Old April 21st 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-18 18:16, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I carry a tube. That is generally used for other riders. Since adopting
thorn-resistant thick tubes plus liners I no longer have flats. However,
a pinch flat would ruin $15+ worth of tube every time and I don't want
that to happen. It is also a royal pain when on a tight schedule. "Sorry
for being late, folks, but I hit a pot hole and got a flat. So lets get
started with the meeting". Why risk a pinch flat when it can easily be
avoided?

After all, we also don't run our car tires underinflated. Or at least
shouldn't.

Old April 21st 18, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2018-04-18 18:16, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

But unless your nickname is Mighty Lung Larry, you also need to carry
a tire pump and then the pressure becomes a problem so you need to
carry a pressure gauge....

Just one problem after another..... Take the car?

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 21st 18, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On 2018-04-18 18:16, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

No need to get a car. Instead, get a bike with fat puncture proof low pressure tyres and leave the pump at home.

Andre Jute
Carfree for a generation now: I practice what I preach
Old April 22nd 18, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-18 18:16, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Unless you are in the hills weght doesn't matter much. Also, my Topeak
Pocket Rocket pump is small and doesn't weigh much. It is a lot better
than CO2 cartridges that many cyclists then carelessly leave laying
around on the ground.

Pressure gauge? A seasoned cyclist should be able to gauge the tire
pressure with a thunb.

Just one problem after another..... Take the car?

For comparable health benefits it would need to be muscle-powered.

http://thenewswheel.com/wp-content/t...=90&w=660&zc=1

Old April 23rd 18, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2018-04-18 18:16, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

That sounds like an old experienced cyclist, but can you tell the
difference between 65 psi and, say 70 psi?

Just one problem after another..... Take the car?

For comparable health benefits it would need to be muscle-powered.

http://thenewswheel.com/wp-content/t...=90&w=660&zc=1

If you look into the matter you find that bicycling is certainly
better then sitting on the couch watching Oprah but that is about it.
Even marching at the standard rate (116 beats a minute with a 30 inch
pace) is a better exercise, both as a weight bearing activity and for
the heart-lung machine and if you get really frisky and try any of the
elite army unit "tads" then you are talking about 12 miles in 3 hours
carrying 32 Kg. in the U.S. Army, while the Romans, in ancient times,
did 35 km. in 5 hours carrying 20 kg.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 23rd 18, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-04-18 18:16, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Sometimes but not every day. Gaius Iulius notes that those
'hard march' events were rare. Sun Tzu explains the downside
in depth.

Old April 23rd 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Pressure gauge? A seasoned cyclist should be able to gauge the tire
pressure with a thunb.

That sounds like an old experienced cyclist, but can you tell the
difference between 65 psi and, say 70 psi?

Years ago, our club used to run a family oriented picnic and bike tour
of the local metropark. The picnic featured several bike-oriented games.
One was to deflate your tire, then pump it up to the target pressure you
chose, without the use of a gage. As I recall, there were guys who got
within a couple percent of their target.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tubular tire advantage = able to run at high pressure or able to runat low pressure? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 16 May 10th 15 10:43 PM
Tire pressure Hydrophidian Unicycling 8 May 24th 08 01:03 AM
tire pressure snowkel Unicycling 6 August 5th 07 07:37 AM
Tire pressure and bad bike shop advice. [email protected] General 20 March 14th 06 05:33 PM
High pressure road tire for ATBs? Techniques 15 December 9th 03 08:47 AM