Trikes much slower than bikes? Why?

Old February 9th 05, 02:16 PM
Tim Olson

In article .com,
wrote:

| Zach wrote:
| 3. Increased rolling resistance both from using smaller diameter
| wheels
| (three 406mm wheels on the Trice XXL vs. two 571mm wheels on the
| Bacchetta Aero) and due to tyre scrub from steering corrections and
| minor front wheel alignment changes that occur while making steering
| inputs and hitting bumps.
|
| A local Velomobile builder thinks that tire scrub issue under #3 is a
| big issue. I bet if you controlled all the other variables, a bike
| would still be faster. Trikes have their place, but bikes are magical.
| They are only stable in motion. That seems more philosophical than
| logical.

Ah, I think I see where the inefficiency is, now:

On a bike, small steering movements cause the front of the bike to
slightly change course, but since a bike can lean, the center of mass of
the rider/bike combo stays pretty much on a straight line, and the lean
that causes brings the front wheel back around (due to front wheel
trail). Thus, the front tire track describes a serpentine trail around
the direct line of travel, but the center of mass remains on that direct
line.

In a (non-leaning) trike, however, small steering movements change the
velocity vector of the center of mass (acceleration), which requires
energy.

So would a leaning trike like those described at:

http://www.geocities.com/rcgilmore3/TiltingTrikes.htm

address this inefficiency?

-- Tim Olson

Design News article about bikes [email protected] Techniques 8 January 14th 05 01:07 PM
Truss instead of tube in bicycle frame? Rado bladteth Rzeznicki Techniques 55 November 7th 04 07:37 AM
Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM