Pacific bought out by Canadian firm

Old January 31st 04, 06:09 AM
Werehatrack

Default Pacific bought out by Canadian firm

Pacific, known in part for having bought out several other bike makers
(Mongoose most lamentedly, Schwinn probably just for the name) has,
itself, been bought out by Dorel. (Who?)

Press release he

http://www.schwinnbike.com/news/

I won't speculate on what this may mean for whatever remains of real
bike tech in Pacific's subdivisions, but I don't consider the
description of Dorel ("a global supplier of juvenile and home
furnishing products") to bode well.

The stated plans are for the current Pacific CEO to remain as the head
of Pacific as a standalone division of Dorel.

I hope this isn't the harbinger of yet more Walmarting of the brands
Pacific controls.

it's also possible that I'm busy.
Old January 31st 04, 06:19 PM
Jon

After years of Americans taking over Canadian firms we're starting to
reverse the trend! Watch out, we're coming to get you.

Jonny Canuck

Old January 31st 04, 07:50 PM
Blair Maynard

You mean that you are coming to give us your hard earned money for our
poorly managed companies.

Maybe you should buy Pebble Beach while you are at it.

Old January 31st 04, 09:38 PM
Werehatrack

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:50:15 GMT, "Blair Maynard"
may have said:

You mean that you are coming to give us your hard earned money for our
poorly managed companies.

Maybe you should buy Pebble Beach while you are at it.

Will no one rid us of this troublesome Halliburton?

it's also possible that I'm busy.
Old February 3rd 04, 04:25 AM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 06:09:26 GMT, Werehatrack
wrote:
Pacific, known in part for having bought out several other bike makers
(Mongoose most lamentedly, Schwinn probably just for the name) has,

Personally, I was upset that they ended up with GT. My 1997 GT can
now be mistaken for a WalMart bike, and as much as I like my GT,
they no longer make road bikes (in fact, they stopped shortly before
I bought my road bike).
--
Rick Onanian
Old February 3rd 04, 05:54 AM
Eric Holeman

In article ,
Rick Onanian wrote:

Personally, I was upset that they ended up with GT. My 1997 GT can
now be mistaken for a WalMart bike,

Think of that as the ultimate theft deterrent.
--
---
Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA
Old February 3rd 04, 10:16 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:26:20 -0500, Rick Onanian
may have said:

Hmm...I just realized: I have a giant compact frame. Is that an
oxymoron?

Ah, but what *size* of Giant compact frame? Each has its own level
and type of oxymoronic nature.

it's also possible that I'm busy.
Old February 3rd 04, 11:07 PM
Rick Onanian

may have said:
Hmm...I just realized: I have a giant compact frame. Is that an
oxymoron?

Ah, but what *size* of Giant compact frame? Each has its own level
and type of oxymoronic nature.

Good point. I have a medium compact giant that's too small for me.

Really, it's not too small. I could have used a larger size; but it
fits me fine now. But it was funny to add "too small" to the
above...
--
Rick Onanian
Old February 4th 04, 02:28 AM
Ted Bennett

Hmm...I just realized: I have a giant compact frame. Is that an
oxymoron?
--
Rick Onanian

Yep. Sorta like the marijuana initiative.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR