What kind of riding do YOU do?

Old April 6th 04, 06:01 PM
Roger Buchanan

Default What kind of riding do YOU do?

With the weather being so gorgeous I took in some bike shops to preview
the spring line-ups. A couple of times I got asked about the type of
riding that I do. I'm getting used to that question, but I still feel
kinda "apologetic" about my answer. "Uhm, almost completely hardpacked
singletrack, nothing technical..." (Doc's orders)

I'm kinda forever locked into a no-man's land, where I can't develop my
riding skills in the usual trial and error method. So I have to find or
make new ways for the rides that I can do to be interesting. Night rides
on all the usual trails is one relatively safe way I've thought up for
adding variety without raising the risk level too much (Yes, I'm
experienced with night riding, especially on my usual trails)

Anyway, that got me thinking. Like so many activities there's a kinda
weird "risk-reward" thing going on. For me there's lots of risks even
with the fairly tame trails and my approach to them. My "reward" is the
fun of still being allowed to ride (at all), and all the associated
benefits of healthy activity in the out of doors. I just keep telling
myself...

"Self! Remember, it's not about how you ride compared to so and so...
it's about how you ride for yourself that really counts."

Still, it kinda sucks to have to turn down offers to go along on group
rides because where they are are too technical/risky for me. (Linda gave
me a glare when I told her about a young lady at a lbs that had asked if
I wanted to join in on their group ride. Heh-heh)

PS - for staying almost completely to my spinning regimen over the
winter I treated myself to the following:

http://www.primalwear.com/2004site/2...IEN-NATION.gif

I got it a little on the small side, as an incentive to loose some of
the weight that I've gained back. And yes, I do look a bit like a
sausage when wearing it. The pounds will come off though. Besides, I
think this jersey will totally ROCK on night rides! (It was either this
one, or a jersey with a Hamburger on the front and fries and a shake on
the back)

So, if you've gotten this far without having your forehead bash down
onto your keyboard we now return you to your likely more exciting
lifestyle!

--
- Rog

http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.
Old April 6th 04, 06:11 PM
Stephen Baker

Rog says:

http://www.primalwear.com/2004site/2...IEN-NATION.gif

You'd really ride around with a day-glo picture of JD on your chest?

Some people....

Steve
Old April 6th 04, 06:44 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Rog says:

Hmm... You may be right: www.schnauzers.ws/alien.gif

Old April 6th 04, 06:46 PM
S o r n i

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
Stephen Baker wrote:
Rog says:

http://www.primalwear.com/2004site/2...IEN-NATION.gif

You'd really ride around with a day-glo picture of JD on your chest?

Some people....

Steve

Hmm... You may be right: www.schnauzers.ws/alien.gif

{sideshowbobshudder.wav}

Old April 6th 04, 10:16 PM
Chris

"Roger Buchanan" wrote in message
Like so many activities there's a kinda
weird "risk-reward" thing going on.

Which is why I stopped rock climbing...there was an accident, by rights I
should have fallen about 60 feet to a boulder field. We were INSTRUCTORS,
for chrissake. Anything can happen, and the fun of rock climbing isn't
worth the dice roll for em anymore.

My "reward" is the
fun of still being allowed to ride (at all), and all the associated
benefits of healthy activity in the out of doors. I just keep telling
myself...

"Self! Remember, it's not about how you ride compared to so and so...
it's about how you ride for yourself that really counts."

Exactly. You're hvaing your own fun, you're outside, and no matter what
every-other-page in mtb magazines (and every-other-voice on this group)
tells you, you don't need mad technical skills or a $4000 bike to dig a
ride - or be a mountain biker.

- Rog

Chris

Old April 7th 04, 04:41 AM
Paladin

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message ...
Stephen Baker wrote:
Rog says:

http://www.primalwear.com/2004site/2...IEN-NATION.gif

You'd really ride around with a day-glo picture of JD on your chest?

Some people....

Steve

Hmm... You may be right: www.schnauzers.ws/alien.gif

Hey, that's my helmet attached to his leg!

paladin
Old April 7th 04, 01:33 PM
Bob Burns

Chris wrote:
[...]

Right on! At my age (67) I'm happy to be riding at all! Most of my riding
is on pavement, including bike paths, with a little trail riding.

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

Old April 7th 04, 02:11 PM
Stephen Baker

Bob Burns says:

Right on! At my age (67) I'm happy to be riding at all!

Right on! yourself! I hope I'm still riding in 18 years (when I hit 67).

Most of my riding
is on pavement, including bike paths, with a little trail riding.

As long as the wheels go round....

Steve
Old April 7th 04, 02:13 PM
spademan o---[\) *

"Bob Burns" wrote in message
. net...
Chris wrote:
[...]

Hey don't knock it, down in South Florida that would rates as extreme
technical freeride...

Steve.

Old April 7th 04, 02:36 PM
Shaun Rimmer

[...]