Helping to Dump Dick Pound

Old September 16th 05, 07:00 PM

Default Helping to Dump Dick Pound

I'm far from being a fan of Lance or Tyler. I personally think they
were both doped to the gills.

But Dick Pound is far too loose of a cannon to be permitted to head-up
WADA. I'm not sure how much of a grip he personally has over the
organization (I imagine it must be very strong), but it has become very
clear that the WADA board members need to send him packing.

I doubt it will do any good, but I've googled the email addy one of the
U.S.- based Foundation Board members, Richard Young, and expressed my
displeasure with the outrageousness of Dick Pound's conduct as the head
of WADA. Here is his email address. Please write to him and express
your own thoughts if you happen to agree:

-photoshoppper

Old September 16th 05, 08:17 PM

If we're ever to believe that the labs are truly objective, then the
body that oversees them needs to shut the hell up and quit commenting
on unresolved cases. Pound has cranked up the hyperbole tenfold while
contributing very little.

Old September 16th 05, 08:19 PM
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

I don't understand why people are so frustrated because of him. Every now
and then Pound comes and says that someone doped, but they all failed some
test anyway. His media statements don't mean anything; if Hamilton is
cleared then he can give Pound the finger and if not, then Pound was right
all along. It's all about tests, procedures and decisions, the rest is just
noise.

Old September 16th 05, 09:06 PM
Bill C

Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:
I don't understand why people are so frustrated because of him. Every now
and then Pound comes and says that someone doped, but they all failed some
test anyway. His media statements don't mean anything; if Hamilton is
cleared then he can give Pound the finger and if not, then Pound was right
all along. It's all about tests, procedures and decisions, the rest is just
noise.

I had a friend who used to get out of jury duty by amking comments
like "Where are the guilty *******s? Lets hang 'em all!" and that's
pretty much equivalent to Pound. Except that he's the final word in the
Tribunal of cycling justice. Needless to say the complaint is that he's
not objective. If he was solely a prosecutor that'd be great, but he's
the whole damn court and that's not.
Having an appeal to CAS doesn't change the fact that Pound's WADA is a
kangaroo court.
Bill C

Old September 16th 05, 09:40 PM
Michael Press

In article ,
"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" wrote:

I don't understand why people are so frustrated because of him. Every now
and then Pound comes and says that someone doped, but they all failed some
test anyway. His media statements don't mean anything; if Hamilton is

The dispute is that Armstrong did not test positive for a
performance enhancing substance according to WADA's
protocols, and therefore the head of WADA oughtn't make
the accusation.

cleared then he can give Pound the finger and if not, then Pound was right
all along. It's all about tests, procedures and decisions, the rest is just
noise.

So it does not matter to you that cycling's governing
bodies are accusing one another of malfeasance?

--
Michael Press
Old September 16th 05, 10:13 PM

"So it does not matter to you that cycling's governing
bodies are accusing one another of malfeasance? "

Precisely. Each organization needs to follow the rules of their
respective organizations. If they would just do that, then they should
be able to work together just fine.

Pound needs to shut his mouth and go find out how a lab he oversees was
able to leak a test result. Actually, he needs to restrict his
comments on quite a few other areas as well.

Hein needs to shut his mouth and revisit his organization's policies on
documents.

They BOTH need to sit down together and hammer out a process for how
accusations such as these are handled.

Old September 16th 05, 11:43 PM
Zak

So you think he is more harmful to this sport than Hein "Corleone"
Verbruggen?

Old September 17th 05, 12:26 AM

No. Verbruggen is damaging to cycling. Pound damages every sport that
interacts with WADA.

Old September 17th 05, 12:27 AM

Feel free to start your own crusade against Verbruggen. I'm sure the
team ownership is plenty ****ed off at him already right now.