Can't walk or stand up? Ride bike instead.

Old January 1st 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Can't walk or stand up? Ride bike instead.

Riding home yesterday, I cut across the old railroad right-of-way,
which went fine (even though it was very wet and muddy), but when I
came to the final obstacle - a deep ditch crossing - it was full of
water.

Not wanting to lose momentum, I rode on into it, but the water was
loaded with wet leaves, and I stalled. Fortunately I got a foot
unclipped and down (into the water, of course - which was still better
than going all the way down in the water).

Then when I lifted my foot up and forward to pull myself and bike out
of the ditch, there was a strong stabbing pain in the back of my leg
just below the knee.

I gingerly climbed out of the ditch, and got off the bike to clear
leaves from the brakes and drivetrain. Man it hurt! I still had like
24 miles to go into a headwind, and started considering if I might
need to call somebody to come and get me. I clipped back in and
started riding; that didn't feel so bad. Maybe I could "ride it off".

Riding on the rest of the way home, it was slow going into the
headwind wearing a rain jacket, but the leg didn't feel too bad. In
fact, it didn't hurt much at all to pedal the bike.

When I got home and off the bike, though, I found that it still hurt
really bad trying to stand up or walk.

Today it feels a little better, which is encouraging, but I still have
to walk very carefully, and it feels like it could be a couple of
weeks before I'm recovered if everything goes well.

I figured right after it happened that it must have been hurt because
those particular muscle structures weren't used for bicycling and
therefor weren't prepared to handle the sudden extension (probably
made worse by sudden twisting for the panic unclip). Weird, though,
how I could still ride bike pretty much fine with an acutely
debilitating leg injury.
Old January 2nd 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2010-01-01, Dan O wrote:
[...]
I figured right after it happened that it must have been hurt because
those particular muscle structures weren't used for bicycling and
therefor weren't prepared to handle the sudden extension (probably
made worse by sudden twisting for the panic unclip). Weird, though,
how I could still ride bike pretty much fine with an acutely
debilitating leg injury.

Hope your leg's all right. Walking is harder than one thinks. I could
ride the bike long before I could walk without a stick when I broke my
leg a while back.

Every little thing has to be working pretty much perfectly to be able to
walk smoothly without any kind of a limp.
Old January 2nd 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Dan O wrote:

[...]

I hope it's just a strain and not a torn ACL or something like that.

--
"I wear the cheese, it does not wear me."
Old January 2nd 10, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 1 Jan, 22:49, Dan O wrote:
[...]

Get someone to examine the sole of your foot in case you have
something embedded in there tweaking at a nerve. It may have happened
another time and the skin healed over and its just that you've managed
to iritate it. Give your feet a good soak in hot water with your
favourite bath salts.

Cyclists walk, motorcyclists ride Mike Causer UK 9 August 6th 06 06:06 PM
stand up wheel walk wowunicycle Unicycling 4 January 29th 05 12:43 PM
Walk or ride? Bill Baka General 28 December 17th 04 06:11 AM
help with stand up one foot wheel walk shadowuni Unicycling 4 August 12th 04 03:38 AM
Stand up wheel walk uniextreme Unicycling 4 December 22nd 03 04:19 AM