Bike query...

Old January 2nd 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

Default Bike query...

"* * Chas" wrote: (clip) I think that it takes a lot of nerve bringing a
new bike purchased somewhere else into a LBS and asking them to make free
adjustments! How many posters who made that suggestion would work for free
themselves?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have taken a bike, not purchased from them, into an LBS for work. I never
ask or expect it to be done free. However, they sometimes decline to charge
for something minor--this could be from pure generosity, or as a way of
making me into a future customer.

A shop can spend untold amounts on advertising, and never really know how
well it is paying off. OTOH, a helpful little freebe can be the basis for a
long and profitable future with a potential customer. Remember also that
people talk to their friends about how they were treated.

Old January 3rd 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
mark

-pb- wrote:
Hi,

Actually, I bought the cycel from Tesco and asembled it myself.
Probably I will visit cycle shop near to my house and ask them to check
is everything is alright...do u think they will charge if so any idea
how much...this information would be reallt helpful...

Before visiting the shop I will try the suggeston given by one of the
member.

Thanks

Isn't Tesco a supermarket? Supermarkets, Wal-Mart, and auto parts stores
are generally not the best places to buy bicycles. The bicycles sold in
these places tend to be pretty low quality, and the staff generally
doesn't know too much about fixing bicycles. Bikes from a good bicycle
shop cost more to buy, but they tend to give better service, so you end
up riding them more and getting better value for your money.

The problems you describe are quite fixable, but it's debatable how long
they'll stay fixed on a cheap bike. By the time you finish fixing all
the things that are out of order or that break prematurely on your bike,
you just might discover that it would have been cheaper to buy a bike
from a proper bike shop.

mark
Old January 3rd 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Causer

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 02:59:48 -0800, -pb- wrote:

I don't kow if this is the right group to post this message if not pls
direct me to the corrdct group...

If you bought from Tesco then uk.rec.cycling might be better.

Recently I bought a new Bicycle, its a 26" Montain Bike for Mens. After
assembly I found that front and back break touches the steel rim and
tyre because of which I have to padle really hard while riding...is
there any way to fix it...I am really very new to bicycle world so pls
help me...

Is it one of these? http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-0178.aspx

Tesco Direct Refund Policy - Our Promise
If any of our products fall below the high standards you expect please
return them within 28 days and we will happily refund or exchange the
item. Please have your invoice with you to do this.

Get your money back then go to a real bicycle shop. Expect to pay about
£100 more, but to have it assembled, guaranteed, and to last many years longer.

Mike
Old January 3rd 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

[...]

A number of years ago, Epson (the printer company) did some market
research. They found that if someone was satisfied with a product or
service they usually told 2 other people about it. If they were unhappy
they told an average of 17 other people about their experience.

Word of mouth is one of the best forms of advertising especially when
there is a high probability of repeat business.

We were in business to sell bikes and cycling accessories and to do
repairs.

As I mentioned before working on a really cheap bike can quickly turn into
a can of worms. When you try to adjust the brakes you find the levers are
loose and the cables need to be adjusted, then the wheel bearings are
loose, the wheels need to be trued and the derailleurs are out of
adjustment.....

We did lots of small adjustments for free but when someone brought in a
brand new junker we were reluctant to even touch them. For one thing our
shop rate was reasonable and charging for labor helped keep a roof over
the heads of a number of employees. We made it a policy of trying not to
bad mouth someone's new junker bike but instead take a minute or two to
explain why we didn't want to work on their bike. We sold quite a few of
the people that we talked to into a better bike.

The inexpensive bikes sold today are probably are lot better than the
junkers sold many years ago. I think that a number of posters to this
thread have had experience with cheap kid killer bikes so their negative
reactions are more than just bike snobbery.

Chas.

Old January 3rd 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

"* * Chas" wrote a few paragraphs.
Dear **: I think everything in your post is very reasonable.

Mountain bike cassette on a road bike query vernon levy UK 13 July 1st 06 10:52 PM
Bike storage query Steve Hodgson UK 7 December 11th 05 07:25 PM
wierd bike rack query didds UK 11 August 25th 05 11:28 AM
Around the bay query tortoise Australia 4 October 14th 04 02:57 AM
Another GPS Query Robin Long UK 8 August 12th 04 08:44 AM