Post from another group about cyclists on the road

Old March 30th 04, 04:03 PM
.o0 0o.

Default Post from another group about cyclists on the road

My post to the group:
Do any of you, while driving to or from work, encounter cyclists on the
road? Do you get ****ed off at them for riding their bikes on the road? If
so, why? Do you honk your horn at them and yell at them? Do you tell them
to get off the road?

one response:
Cyclists on streets where traffic is moving 30-40 MPH are clearly a danger
to themselves and a disruption to traffic. If there is a paved shoulder I
don't see a problem at all....or if the cyclist can move and flow with the
traffic....which they can't.

I find it unnerving to come upon a guy moving half my speed with traffic
piling up behind me and no way to go around due to clogged lanes and
oncoming traffic. (Just being honest) Usually the car in front of you
swerves around the person and you find yourself braking/swerving to avoid a
collision. On the other hand, the majority of cyclists really aren't the
problem and its just the occasional incident where a cyclist appears to be
on the defensive by taking up half a lane rather than taking to the sidewalk
who cause the problems. These people take a position of being rude right off
the bat. Personally I wish the bikes would take to the sidewalk on your
heavily traveled corridors, but ideally there would be a half lane shoulder
to accommodate them. (Providing they paid the necessary $100 a year
licensing fee )

--
Heterosexual does NOT mean homophobic
White does NOT mean racist

To reply directly to me use DEODORANT

Old March 30th 04, 05:09 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
".o0 0o." writes:
My post to the group:
Do any of you, while driving to or from work, encounter cyclists on the
road? Do you get ****ed off at them for riding their bikes on the road? If
so, why? Do you honk your horn at them and yell at them? Do you tell them
to get off the road?

one response:
Cyclists on streets where traffic is moving 30-40 MPH are clearly a danger
to themselves and a disruption to traffic.

....(etc.)

Yeah, that's what drivers say when they really mean
they don't want anything or anybody slowing them down,
or causing them to have to use their brains or eyes,
or causing them to go to the effort of applying a
minimal amount of driving skill.

They think it sounds better to say "(cyclists) are
clearly a danger to themselves," than to say "I perceive
cyclists as an inconvenience to me." As if a few moments
of 30 Km/h in a comfortable rolling living room is some
sort of torture that nobody should have to bear.

So many drivers greedily want all the convenience to
themselves, and then they blame cyclists for rudeness.

I guess we just have to be stoically understanding in
the face of such immaturity. In that light, maybe
cyclists make the best parents. I'd be an exception
to that, of course w

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 30th 04, 10:03 PM
Rick Warner

You do not specify what other group to which you posted. The response
below is obviously from someone with an uninformed, automobile-centric,
opinion. Sort of common; you can peruse the archives and find that
this whole topic has been hashed, re-hashed, slung around, mashed, baked,
and otherwise discussed ad nauseum. Basic story is, folks who like their
automobiles too much will always have this type of opinion, to one degree
or another. Many will not want to be educated. They will frequently
put up the red herring of it being unsafe to the cyclist, and that is their
concern (it is not unsafe for the cyclist unless the driver does stupid
things, and I will wager that they have zero concern for the cyclist and
much concern for what they perceive as 'their' territory). The other red
herring is the registration fee; roads and highways are constructed and
maintained using a variety of tax revenues, mostly non-registration fee
related. I probably pay many times more taxes than the folks who often
make this argument. Lots of red herrings, all the usual ones, nothing
new.

- rick

Old March 31st 04, 02:44 AM
Mark Hickey

".o0 0o." wrote:

My post to the group:

blah blah blah...

Don't feed the obvious troll, folks.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old March 31st 04, 05:51 AM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:44:19 -0700,
, Mark Hickey

Yeah, save it for the dumb ones that **** on the bushes.
--
zk
Old March 31st 04, 01:40 PM
TheCyclist2002

Usually the car in front of you
swerves around the person (the cyclist) and you find yourself braking/swerving
to avoid a collision

About the only time I'm braking and/or swerving is for the idiot driver in
front of me on his damn cell phone, not for the occasional cyclist on the road.

Adam

"Let's Ride"

Old March 31st 04, 05:13 PM
AustinMN

..o0 0o. wrote (quotting an unnamed poster):

Snip

Usually the car in front of you
swerves around the person and you find yourself braking/swerving to avoid

collision.

I have encountered hundreds of lawful cyclists in about a dozen US states on
all kinds of roads from dense urban downtown areas (Boston, Minneapolis, St.
Paul), suburban arterials, and quiet city streets to narrow, winding rural
roads with too-high speed limits and limited sight distances. Every time I
have had to swerve or brake suddenly (while driving) because of a cyclist
(about a dozen times in 20 years), the cyclist was traveling on the wrong
side of the road (toward traffic). All but two of them were at night
without lights. (It just occurred to me that I have never had a problem
because of a red-light- or stop-sign-running cyclist, but that's a different
topic.) I have never had to make an emergency maneuver (while driving)
because of a cyclist who was not breaking the law. I currently live off of
a highway (not a limited access highway...this crazy thing has stop lights
and cross roads) with a speed limit of 65 mph (105kph) which means some
traffic is traveling as fast as 80 mph (130 kph). I have encountered
cyclists there (though all were either on the shoulder or in a right turn
lane) without having to make an emergency maneuver.

I have had to make emergency moves while on my bicycle (but not in my car)
to avoid children riding unpredictably on quiet suburban streets, but I hold
myself primarily responsible for those situations for not making my presence
known (holler/bell).

Austin (who would also be interested in what group you posted to)

Old March 31st 04, 05:24 PM
.o0 0o.

It is a group of similar minded computer professionals where we talk about
anything and everything. It used to be on the old autodesk server until we
took up too much server space and people started behaving inappropriately.
I posted there because I wanted a general feel from non-cyclists about us
being on the road. He was the only fool that posted any negative comments.

The old address was pn.take5 on autodesk.discussion.com If you can find the
white rabbit, come on in. That is all the information I can give you.

Old March 31st 04, 05:26 PM
.o0 0o.

Sorry, it should be discussion.autodesk.com