TdF, circa 1954

Old August 14th 04, 05:05 PM
-

Default TdF, circa 1954

For the Tour-history aficionados out there, there is some video (maybe 5
minutes worth) of the 1954 tour (with a scratchy sound track in French) at
www.lemonde.fr. (Page down, then click on "video," in the column on the
right, "L'été 1954 en video." It's a Pathé newsreel, covering August
5-8 of that year, and covers other subjects as well.)

The sound quality makes it a bit difficult to understand, but OTOH there
isn't that much historical Tour footage out there, so perhaps some will be
interested in this. (Always amusing to see the riders carrying spare
tubes slung over the shoulders like bandoliers...)

Cheers,

AMG

Old August 14th 04, 08:19 PM
the black rose

- wrote:
For the Tour-history aficionados out there, there is some video (maybe 5
minutes worth) of the 1954 tour (with a scratchy sound track in French) at
www.lemonde.fr. (Page down, then click on "video," in the column on the
right, "L'été 1954 en video." It's a Pathé newsreel, covering August
5-8 of that year, and covers other subjects as well.)

The sound quality makes it a bit difficult to understand, but OTOH there
isn't that much historical Tour footage out there, so perhaps some will be
interested in this. (Always amusing to see the riders carrying spare
tubes slung over the shoulders like bandoliers...)

Loved the rooster!

I only understand about every 20th word of French, but it was still
pretty neat to watch.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old August 15th 04, 01:48 AM
Paul

Thank AMG!

gee, I was only 2yrs old when that happend! amazing footage, more amazing
how good it looked 50yrs later!
paul

Old August 15th 04, 03:16 AM
Bob Mercier

- wrote in message . ..
For the Tour-history aficionados out there, there is some video (maybe 5
minutes worth) of the 1954 tour (with a scratchy sound track in French) at
www.lemonde.fr. (Page down, then click on "video," in the column on the
right, "L'été 1954 en video." It's a Pathé newsreel, covering August
5-8 of that year, and covers other subjects as well.)

The sound quality makes it a bit difficult to understand, but OTOH there
isn't that much historical Tour footage out there, so perhaps some will be
interested in this. (Always amusing to see the riders carrying spare
tubes slung over the shoulders like bandoliers...)

Cheers,

AMG

See http://www.newsreels.gaumont.com/english/
it looks like they have stuff going back
to 1912 available online.
Old August 16th 04, 12:22 AM
Mike Kruger

"-" wrote in message
news
(Always amusing to see the riders carrying spare
tubes slung over the shoulders like bandoliers...)

Yes, that was interesting. But I have a few questions, if anybody has
answers:
Some had spare tubes, some didn't. Anybody know why? Domestiques? Riders who
already flatted?
How fast could these guys change a flat?
When did this stop being necessary?

Old August 16th 04, 12:51 AM
Bob Wheeler

I didn't view this clip, but I suspect that what you saw were tubular
tires, not inner tubes.

Mike Kruger wrote:
"-" wrote in message
news
(Always amusing to see the riders carrying spare
tubes slung over the shoulders like bandoliers...)

Yes, that was interesting. But I have a few questions, if anybody has
answers:
Some had spare tubes, some didn't. Anybody know why? Domestiques? Riders who
already flatted?
How fast could these guys change a flat?
When did this stop being necessary?

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

Old August 17th 04, 02:48 AM
-

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:51:46 -0400, Bob Wheeler wrote:

I didn't view this clip, but I suspect that what you saw were tubular
tires, not inner tubes.

Mike Kruger wrote:
"-" wrote in message
news
(Always amusing to see the riders carrying spare
tubes slung over the shoulders like bandoliers...)

Yes, that was interesting. But I have a few questions, if anybody has
answers:
Some had spare tubes, some didn't. Anybody know why? Domestiques? Riders who
already flatted?
How fast could these guys change a flat?
When did this stop being necessary?

So then what happens in case of a flat? Can tubular tires be switched
really quickly? (I don't know how they actually function, compared with
ordinary tube-and-tire setups.)

Enlightenment appreciated!

-AMG
Old August 17th 04, 12:55 PM
benjo maso

"-" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:51:46 -0400, Bob Wheeler wrote:

I didn't view this clip, but I suspect that what you saw were tubular
tires, not inner tubes.

Mike Kruger wrote:
"-" wrote in message
news
(Always amusing to see the riders carrying spare
tubes slung over the shoulders like bandoliers...)

Yes, that was interesting. But I have a few questions, if anybody has
answers:
Some had spare tubes, some didn't. Anybody know why? Domestiques?

Riders who
already flatted?
How fast could these guys change a flat?
When did this stop being necessary?

So then what happens in case of a flat? Can tubular tires be switched
really quickly? (I don't know how they actually function, compared with
ordinary tube-and-tire setups.)

Enlightenment appreciated!

One and a half minute for a front wheel, two minutes for a back wheel. In
the time of the butterfly nuts (until 1948-49) 30 seconds more. Of course
they needed a lot of practice to so it so quickly.

Benjo Maso