Ran off the road...

Old March 19th 04, 05:00 PM
Matt O'Toole

Default Ran off the road...

Mark Hickey wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote:

Depends on the jurisdiction, in my state (MA), bikes are legal to
pass on the right. Legality doesn't make it advisable, "filtering
forward" has its risks and benefits. Long wheelbase vehicles (semi's
& buses) are particularly difficult, it's not unusual to see their
back wheels go over a curb when making a right turn. The really
dangerous scenario is the cyclist that right-passes the LWB vehicle,
assuming it's going straight, only to have it turn into their path.
It's quite possible to wind up under the rear wheels.

This is true. If you come up from behind on the right, there's a great danger
these drivers will be completely unaware of your presence. They're not looking
for traffic on their right, when they're in the right lane. If you do filter up
on the right, pull forward into the lead driver's field of vision -- even if it
puts you over the line.

I always make it a point to NOT pass anyone on the right if I'm going
to be in their way in ANY way after I do so. On narrow roads that
require cars to wait to pass a cyclist, "filtering" to the front is
going to annoy drivers who have to wait to pass the same cyclist
multiple times.

In those instances I'll take the full lane behind a car at the
intersection, and normally don't fall off the pace until well beyond
the other side of the intersection.

I've found this too. It prevents my being squeezed as a car tries to pass
before the other side of the intersection, where it may be narrow, with a parked
car, etc.

If I'm going straight, I've made it a habit to get in line with the cars, rather
than off to the side in the bike lane. This also gives room to cars turning
right on red, whom I'd be blocking if I were off to the side.

Matt O.

Old March 19th 04, 05:02 PM
Peter Cole

"Mark Hickey" wrote

I always make it a point to NOT pass anyone on the right if I'm going
to be in their way in ANY way after I do so. On narrow roads that
require cars to wait to pass a cyclist, "filtering" to the front is
going to annoy drivers who have to wait to pass the same cyclist
multiple times.

A lot of times in urban environments, a bike can maintain a faster overall
speed than a car. In those circumstances, I'm irritated by all the cars I have
to pass, especially the inconsiderate drivers that split lanes at
intersections and hog the road all the way to the curb. Bikes are a great way
to get around in a gridlocked city, but if you're going to get in line with
the cars, you might as well just drive or take a bus.

Old March 19th 04, 05:30 PM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:09:03 -0500,
,
".o0 0o." wrote:

As I rolled up beside the taxi it started to go forward. However,
it also started to veer to the right.

Somewhere between those two points is when to smack 'em.
Flat hand on panels, fists on windows.
--
zk
Old March 19th 04, 06:04 PM
Matt O'Toole

Zoot Katz wrote:

Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:09:03 -0500,

,
".o0 0o." wrote:

As I rolled up beside the taxi it started to go forward. However,
it also started to veer to the right.

Somewhere between those two points is when to smack 'em.
Flat hand on panels, fists on windows.

I do that occasionally. It does wake them up, I think...

However, I tend to go with the flat hand on the fender, not the fist on the
window. Aggressive gestures are bound to be met with aggression.

Matt O.

Old March 19th 04, 06:38 PM
Stephen Harding

Peter Cole wrote:

A lot of times in urban environments, a bike can maintain a faster overall
speed than a car. In those circumstances, I'm irritated by all the cars I have
to pass, especially the inconsiderate drivers that split lanes at
intersections and hog the road all the way to the curb. Bikes are a great way
to get around in a gridlocked city, but if you're going to get in line with
the cars, you might as well just drive or take a bus.

Yeah I agree.

One of the advantages of a bike is the mobility you
have on gridlocked roads. Even in a congested city,
you may not be able to maintain the speed of a car
for the short distances "bursts" become available.
Then you're annoying the drivers piling up behind you,
even if in the long run, you can move faster than the
traffic.

Make full use of the bike's advantages. When traffic
snarls, go right and filter ahead. Just use common
sense at the interesections or near interesections.

Don't try to get to the head of the line if you have
*any* suspicion the light is about to change. Get
back in lane. Make certain you are in the field of
view of the stopped motorist at the intersection. As
someone else mentioned, get ahead of him so he can see
you're there. If behind him, cut in a little to make
yourself more visible to him.

Don't be afraid to travel 15 mph when the traffic is
moving along only at 8! That means passing on the
right sometimes, and filtering towards the head of
the line.

SMH

Old March 19th 04, 08:59 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:38:51 -0500, Stephen Harding
wrote in message
:

Make full use of the bike's advantages. When traffic
snarls, go right and filter ahead. Just use common
sense at the interesections or near interesections.

In the UK go right, in the US go left. Never go up the inside of a
goods vehicle or a bus.

--
Guy
===

Old March 19th 04, 10:07 PM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:04:56 GMT,
, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:

Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:09:03 -0500,

,
".o0 0o." wrote:

As I rolled up beside the taxi it started to go forward. However,
it also started to veer to the right.

Somewhere between those two points is when to smack 'em.
Flat hand on panels, fists on windows.

I do that occasionally. It does wake them up, I think...

However, I tend to go with the flat hand on the fender, not the fist on the
window. Aggressive gestures are bound to be met with aggression.

Mini vans have lots of glass, at about the right height, for a
sideways hammer blow type punch. It's too hard to hit a panel on them
except maybe from a recumbent.
I've only ever found it necessary to spank moving cars. It does get
their attention even though they still don't know what hit them.
--
zk
Old March 20th 04, 04:53 AM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:46:33 -0600,
,
Kevan Smith wrote:

I've only ever found it necessary to spank moving cars. It does get
their attention even though they still don't know what hit them.

This why I keep my big Kryptonite-style lock put away on my back when I ride. It
is too tempting to smash recalcitrant cars, and that wouldn't do anyone any
good.

I wouldn't have time to draw it in the instances I've felt it
necessary to signal my presence by smacking the car.

Mine stays locked on the rack or zipped inside a pannier. No
temptation at all.
--
zk
Old March 20th 04, 06:34 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:09:03 -0500 in rec.bicycles.misc, ".o0
0o." wrote:

As I rolled up beside the taxi it started to go forward. However,
it also started to veer to the right. I was forced into the gutter and my
wheels rubbed along the curb. Finally, with no where else to go, I tumbled
down and my bike came with me.

i realize it probably happened too fast, but that's where a tire
pump comes in real handy, to bang on the car door or window.

Old March 21st 04, 01:30 AM
Mike Schwab

I have two for my bicycles.

DRS wrote:
snip
http://www.deltacycle.com/airzound/hornframe.php

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody,
barbarous torture in gloating detail is considered indicia of religious