Exploding tube

Old August 19th 04, 01:57 AM
-

Default Exploding tube

Patched a tube the other day, put it in the tire and back on the wheel,
and was pumping it up, when BANG! the tube blew, with a noise like a
gunshot. I had partially pumped up and then deflated the thing, too,
before giving it the normal pump-up. Did I create a pinch flat, or what?
The patch was still intact, but there was a long rip in the tube where it
had split. Along the center line of this rip was an odd, butterfly-shaped
hole, looking something like this:

|\ /|
| \/ |
| || |
| /\ |
|/ \|

I put on a new tube and made sure it was well-centered and well into the
tire, then pumped it up cautiously (while wearing earplugs, just in case):
No problem. Any clues as to what happened the first time? I had ridden on
the exploding tube for a while, and the puncture I fixed was a tiny hole.
One last detail: the tube might had been a little wet, from the
find-the-leak procedure. But I've never heard of water causing a
blowout.

Sheesh, that kind of thing can give you a start...

AMG
Old August 19th 04, 02:10 AM
Kenneth

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:57:17 GMT, -
wrote:

[...]

Howdy,

I know that when I have pinched 'em, I have gotten just the result you
have described. I will also add that pumping them up indoors is to
risk ringing ears for just that reason. I have been amazed at the
difference when I have had tires pop outdoors.

HTH,

--
Kenneth

Old August 19th 04, 02:37 AM
Michael Ross

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:57:17 GMT, -
wrote:

snip

Oh.... from the title of the post I had assumed you were referring to
our dear friend, DRS.

:-)

ducks back to alt.sys.pdp10 before they notice I'm missing

Mike
http://www.corestore.org

'As I walk along these shores
I am the history within'
Old August 19th 04, 03:37 AM
Frank Krygowski

- wrote:

[...]

A tube can't blow like that unless it escapes from the tire. IOW, your
tire was not properly seated on the rim. The tire's bead popped off the
rim, then the tube extruded out though the resulting space and blew.

Try this: Install the tire and tube, pump it up to very low pressure
(maybe 15 psi) then stop and carefully examine the tire to be sure it's
evenly seated on the rim. Tires have a thin molded line just outside
the bead wire. Be sure this line is equidistant from the rim all the
way around, on both sides. Wrestle the tire into place if it's not.

Once the tire's straight, pump to full pressure. You should be fine.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old August 19th 04, 08:07 PM
smokey

- wrote in message . ..
[...]

I agree with Frank's assessment on making sure the bead is seated
before pumping to full pressure. One thing I do to help this process
is to pump the tire up to 20 psi, then roll it across the shop floor
while pushing down hard on the top. This seems to help the bead get in
the proper position.

Smokey
Old August 19th 04, 10:42 PM
Ron Hardin

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Try this: Install the tire and tube, pump it up to very low pressure
(maybe 15 psi) then stop and carefully examine the tire to be sure it's
evenly seated on the rim. Tires have a thin molded line just outside
the bead wire. Be sure this line is equidistant from the rim all the
way around, on both sides. Wrestle the tire into place if it's not.

Once the tire's straight, pump to full pressure. You should be fine.

Back until the early 70s, you could buy a 27 1/8" tire and put it on and
pump it up and no problem. Then tires began selling (at discount stores) with
``Does not fit Schwinn rims'' tags. This was always mysterious to me. Anyway
they fit my rims fine, and I take it it was pre-warning you about some ongoing
problem that the tire manufacturers were taking the other side of.

Nowadays, every tire is a struggle to get on evenly. Is it possible that _every_
rim is effectively whatever a Schwinn rim was in those days, now?
==
Easiest way, soap up the bead. Otherwise no amount of wrestling and inflating
and deflating will get the tire centered and you'll be riding with thumps
forever. (26x2" tire for me, nowadays).
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 20th 04, 02:25 AM
Terry Morse

Ron Hardin wrote:

Back until the early 70s, you could buy a 27 1/8" tire and put it
on and pump it up and no problem. Then tires began selling (at
discount stores) with ``Does not fit Schwinn rims'' tags. This
was always mysterious to me. Anyway they fit my rims fine, and I
take it it was pre-warning you about some ongoing problem that
the tire manufacturers were taking the other side of.

Nowadays, every tire is a struggle to get on evenly. Is it
possible that _every_ rim is effectively whatever a Schwinn rim
was in those days, now?

I think the "Schwinn rims" describe the non-hooked rims of the past
that were prone to blowout, because there was no hook to hold the
tire against the rim. When I worked in a shop, these were the ones
that would pop off the rim as they were being inflated. I hated them
for that reason.

Seating a modern tire against the rim is trivial compared to the old
days. As long as you don't get the tube caught between the tire and
the rim, and you seat the rim at the valve, blowouts are unlikely.
Thank goodness for that.
Old August 21st 04, 07:23 AM
Chris BeHanna

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:42:34 +0000, Ron Hardin wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Try this: Install the tire and tube, pump it up to very low pressure
(maybe 15 psi) then stop and carefully examine the tire to be sure it's
evenly seated on the rim. Tires have a thin molded line just outside
the bead wire. Be sure this line is equidistant from the rim all the
way around, on both sides. Wrestle the tire into place if it's not.

Once the tire's straight, pump to full pressure. You should be fine.

Back until the early 70s, you could buy a 27 1/8" tire and put it on
and pump it up and no problem. Then tires began selling (at
discount stores) with ``Does not fit Schwinn rims'' tags. This was
always mysterious to me. Anyway they fit my rims fine, and I take
it it was pre-warning you about some ongoing problem that the tire
manufacturers were taking the other side of.

My wife's early-90s Schwinn uses tubulars. No tire you can get at
a discount store is going to fit.

Nowadays, every tire is a struggle to get on evenly. Is it possible
that _every_ rim is effectively whatever a Schwinn rim was in those
days, now?
==
Easiest way, soap up the bead. Otherwise no amount of wrestling and
inflating and deflating will get the tire centered and you'll be
riding with thumps forever. (26x2" tire for me, nowadays).

Easiest way, use a foldable tire. The bead is so supple that it
easily slips over the rim into place. That might not be an option for
your 26x2, though.

I was pleasantly suprised at how easy R&R-ing a 700x23 Specialized
Turbo was, but then, I'm used to using tire irons to wrestle with
motorcycle tires. The bicycle tire was shockingly easy.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer (Remove "allspammersmustdie" before responding.)

I was raised by a pack of wild corn dogs.

Old August 21st 04, 03:37 PM
Jeff Starr

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:23:30 GMT, Chris BeHanna
wrote:

Easiest way, use a foldable tire. The bead is so supple that it
easily slips over the rim into place. That might not be an option for
your 26x2, though.

I was pleasantly suprised at how easy R&R-ing a 700x23 Specialized
Turbo was, but then, I'm used to using tire irons to wrestle with
motorcycle tires. The bicycle tire was shockingly easy.

Hi, I have had the opposite results, finding tires with wire beads
easier to install than folding tires.
I just installed some new Conti Ultra Gatorskins 700x25 and they went
on without anymore effort then I think is needed. On the other hand, I
sore hands when I was done installing a set of Conti Attack/Force, on
the same wheels.
In all my limited experience wired beads have been easier.

Life is Good!
Jeff