Competitve cycling through the eyes of a sculptor

Old September 14th 04, 12:31 AM
-

Default Competitve cycling through the eyes of a sculptor

Here's an amusing oddity: A life-size sculpture of a fallen cyclist, now
on display in an Australian museum.

To view, go to http://www.lemonde.fr/. Scroll down and find "Portfolio" in
the rightmost column. Click on the picture to enlarge.

The caption reads, "Life-sized sculpture of an injured cyclist by the
Australian artist Jan Nelson, at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney."

But is it art?

:-)

AMG

Old September 14th 04, 12:52 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:31:50 GMT,
, -
wrote:

To view, go to http://www.lemonde.fr/. Scroll down and find "Portfolio" in
the rightmost column. Click on the picture to enlarge.

Thanks. I liked the image of the rickshaws pedalling through flooded
steets in Dacca, Bangledesh
--
zk
Old September 14th 04, 01:39 AM
Bestest Handsander

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:31:50 GMT,
, -
wrote:

To view, go to http://www.lemonde.fr/. Scroll down and find "Portfolio" in
the rightmost column. Click on the picture to enlarge.

Thanks. I liked the image of the rickshaws pedalling through flooded
steets in Dacca, Bangledesh

I wonder what chain lube they use? And do you think they pull their
bottom bracket when they clean their bikes afterwards?

Old September 14th 04, 04:01 AM
psycholist

"-" wrote in message
news
Here's an amusing oddity: A life-size sculpture of a fallen cyclist, now
on display in an Australian museum.

To view, go to http://www.lemonde.fr/. Scroll down and find "Portfolio" in
the rightmost column. Click on the picture to enlarge.

The caption reads, "Life-sized sculpture of an injured cyclist by the
Australian artist Jan Nelson, at the Museum of Contemporary Art in

Sydney."

But is it art?

:-)

AMG

that's Joseba Beloki from stage 9 of the 2003 Tour de France. The odd thing
is, if I'm not mistaken, they've got him laying on the wrong side. I just
watched his crash on video during a workout today. I'm pretty certain he
was in that exact position, but on the other hip. I wonder why the artist
did that (assuming I'm correct).

Bob C.

Old September 14th 04, 10:23 AM
Muttley

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:01:18 -0400, "psycholist" wrote:

"-" wrote in message
news
Here's an amusing oddity: A life-size sculpture of a fallen cyclist, now
on display in an Australian museum.

To view, go to http://www.lemonde.fr/. Scroll down and find "Portfolio" in
the rightmost column. Click on the picture to enlarge.

The caption reads, "Life-sized sculpture of an injured cyclist by the
Australian artist Jan Nelson, at the Museum of Contemporary Art in

Sydney."

But is it art?

:-)

AMG

that's Joseba Beloki from stage 9 of the 2003 Tour de France. The odd thing
is, if I'm not mistaken, they've got him laying on the wrong side. I just
watched his crash on video during a workout today. I'm pretty certain he
was in that exact position, but on the other hip. I wonder why the artist
did that (assuming I'm correct).

Could the photo have be reversed, (either the one on the web, or the one the
sculpter worked from) ?
Old September 14th 04, 02:55 PM
-

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:23:28 +0000, Muttley wrote:

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:01:18 -0400, "psycholist" wrote:

"-" wrote in message
news
Here's an amusing oddity: A life-size sculpture of a fallen cyclist, now
on display in an Australian museum.
The caption reads, "Life-sized sculpture of an injured cyclist by the
Australian artist Jan Nelson, at the Museum of Contemporary Art in

Sydney."

But is it art?

:-)

AMG

that's Joseba Beloki from stage 9 of the 2003 Tour de France. The odd thing
is, if I'm not mistaken, they've got him laying on the wrong side. I just
watched his crash on video during a workout today. I'm pretty certain he
was in that exact position, but on the other hip. I wonder why the artist
did that (assuming I'm correct).

Could the photo have be reversed, (either the one on the web, or the one the
sculpter worked from) ?

Hey, sharp eyes! Re the reversal, perhaps it is just artistic license?
(The only picture I can remember of the famous wipe-out shows Beloki
sitting up in the middle of the road, as LA heads off down the slope.)

FYI, the sculpture is titled "Down," and, for the latecomers to this
fascinating thread, the picture seems to no longer be up at the site
indicated in the OP (lemonde.fr). Ya snooze, ya lose...

Cheers,

AMG

Old September 15th 04, 01:48 AM
DRS

"-" wrote in message
news
[...]

FYI, the sculpture is titled "Down," and, for the latecomers to this
fascinating thread, the picture seems to no longer be up at the site
indicated in the OP (lemonde.fr). Ya snooze, ya lose...

I saved it. I'll bet other people did too.

--

A: Top-posters.