Other books good as "The Rider"?

Old August 12th 03, 12:48 PM
John Crankshaw

Default Other books good as "The Rider"?

There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of
any?

Old August 12th 03, 03:18 PM
Scribe2b

Default Other books good as "The Rider"? HEARTS OF LIONS

There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of
any?

Hearts of lions
by peter Nye
nonfiction, awesome book
jc
Old August 12th 03, 10:04 PM
benjo maso

"John Crankshaw" wrote in message
There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of
any?

I think "The Rider" is rather unique.Perhaps because a large majority of
cycling books pretending to be "fact" are to a large amount already
"fiction", cycling books in the categerie "fiction" are more or less
superfluous, and most of them are mediocre at best. AFAIK "The Rider" is the
only exception. Of course, there are a lot of good books on cycling history
and similar subjects, but they are quite different.

Benjo Maso

Old August 12th 03, 10:40 PM

"John Crankshaw" wrote in message ...
There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of
any?

I just started in on "The Long Season : One Year of Bicycle Road
Racing in California" by Bruno Schull. Yuck. The best chapter so far
is the account of watching paris roubaix on a bar stool in california
in 1995 or so. The rest is awful. I hope it won't take me one year
to finish it. That book has been demoted to something to read while
sitting on the throne.

FYI: The race in "The Rider" is all fiction. It just seems so real.
Don't go looking thru the record books trying to find results. I'd
suggest trying to read it in one sitting, just like the race it
covers. It's a fast read and wouldn't take any longer than a 150km
race in the rain.

The Greg Moody books are okay.

There is a lack of decent pro race fiction in print. Guess we will
have to settle for rbr posts.
Old August 12th 03, 11:17 PM
Jan

"The Rider"???
Who's the author ?
Is this an American book?

TIA

Jan

---

Old August 13th 03, 01:24 AM
Dieter Buerssner

John Crankshaw wrote:

There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of
any?

Salz im Kaffee, by Hans Blickensdörfer. The English translation is called:
"North Wind in Your Spokes".

Hans Blickensdörfer was a rather famous German cycling journalist (he died
not too long ago).

Dieter
Old August 13th 03, 09:54 PM

"John Crankshaw" wrote in message ...
There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of
any?

Perhaps its poor form to tout a running book on a cycling news group,
but "Once a Runner," by John L. Parker Jr. is widely regarded as the
best running fiction ever written. Certain sections still give me
chills after many readings, and have occasionally helped me to get out
the door for a run on a cold, rainy evening.
The book tells the tale of a college senior miler in the early 70's as
he trains, races and lives the life of a college and elite athlete.
Unfortunately, it's out of print, but you might try your public
library or get it used (Amazon has it) if you've run out of cycling
books or need to get motivated for winter cross-training.

Jason Blank
Old August 13th 03, 10:13 PM
TritonRider

Joe Kurmaskie's stuff is pretty good. Not racing, but amusing.
Bill C
Old August 14th 03, 07:45 PM
Robert StJames

"TritonRider" wrote in message
Joe Kurmaskie's stuff is pretty good. Not racing, but amusing.
Bill C

I agree. I read his, "Metal Cowboy" last month and found it well written,
insightful and entertaining. He's certainly ridden his bicycle in a lot of
interesting places.