Repairing tubular tire

Old October 18th 04, 07:52 PM
Mike Kennedy

Default Repairing tubular tire

Hello,

I hit something yesterday during a cross race and put a nice hole in my
front TUFO tubular tire. The sealant is not going to fix this. Is it very
difficult to try and patch and possibly boot this hole? The tire is still in
excellent condition so I hate to write it off.
None of the local shops want to mess with it, so either I do it or could I
send it off to be repaired? Any suggestions or pointers?

Thanks,

Mike Kennedy

Old October 19th 04, 04:24 AM
jim beam

Mike Kennedy wrote:
Hello,

I hit something yesterday during a cross race and put a nice hole in my
front TUFO tubular tire. The sealant is not going to fix this. Is it very
difficult to try and patch and possibly boot this hole? The tire is still in
excellent condition so I hate to write it off.
None of the local shops want to mess with it, so either I do it or could I
send it off to be repaired? Any suggestions or pointers?

Thanks,

Mike Kennedy

unfortunately, as you can see from this image,

http://www.tufo.com/img/big/06b.jpg

tufo's don't have a stitched underseam construction like other tubulars,
so you can't get at the inner tube to repair it. if the special tufo
sealant doesn't do the job, game's over for that tire.

Old October 19th 04, 08:14 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:52:29 -0600, Mike Kennedy wrote:

Hello,

I hit something yesterday during a cross race and put a nice hole in my
front TUFO tubular tire. The sealant is not going to fix this. Is it very
difficult to try and patch and possibly boot this hole? The tire is still
in excellent condition so I hate to write it off.

You lose. Tufos are not really made to be repairable. A "real" tubular
could be repaired, and booted if necessary. I used to use tires for
months with a boot in them, and to repair all manner of punctured
tubulars. But there is no way to repair a Tufo, since there is no seam to
open up. It's all layered together.

I don't understand the idea behind this. But people love the tires, and
have to buy new ones every time they have a serious flat. I guess that
explains their business model.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

Old October 19th 04, 01:20 PM
Calvin Jones

The comments here are on target regarding the limits of repair when a
tire is not stitched. However, as a point of information, for
stitched tires, without sealant, the best resource I have seen for
repair instructions is in Effective Cycling, by John Forester.

Old October 19th 04, 07:07 PM

Calvin Jones writes:

The comments here are on target regarding the limits of repair when
a tire is not stitched. However, as a point of information, for
stitched tires, without sealant, the best resource I have seen for
repair instructions is in Effective Cycling, by John Forester.

Have you considered this source:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.19.html

Jobst Brandt