london clubs with civilised ride start times?

Old December 1st 04, 10:47 PM
Daniel Barlow

Default london clubs with civilised ride start times?

One of the reasons I haven't cycled much this year is that excuses to
stay indoors instead of going for a solo ride are very easy to come by
when the weather is cold and wet. So, my intention for 2005 is to
join a club of some kind and maybe peer group pressure will needle me
into getting out more often. But, there seems to be some kind of
major disconnect between me and most organised riders in that they
often want to go out in in (yeuch) mornings, whereas I have a strong
and steadfast desire not to emerge from beneath the duvet on a weekend
until some civilised hour. Lunchtime, for preference, but 11ish might
be manageable.

I live in East London (so, Leytonstone/Stratford/Walthamstow area) and
I'm looking for road rides at moderate pace - modulo traffic I average
probably 15-20mph on my own, for comparison purposes. "Critical Mass"
is not the answer I'm looking for here ;-)

Any pointers?

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"
Old December 2nd 04, 10:20 AM
bugbear

Daniel Barlow wrote:
But, there seems to be some kind of
major disconnect between me and most organised riders in that they
often want to go out in in (yeuch) mornings

This is to avoid traffic, and also to be back home in time
for proper civilised Sunday lunchtime activities
i.e. going to the pub.

BugBear
Old December 3rd 04, 03:57 PM
Richard Goodman

"Daniel Barlow" wrote in message

One of the reasons I haven't cycled much this year is that excuses to
stay indoors instead of going for a solo ride are very easy to come by
when the weather is cold and wet. So, my intention for 2005 is to
join a club of some kind and maybe peer group pressure will needle me
into getting out more often. But, there seems to be some kind of
major disconnect between me and most organised riders in that they
often want to go out in in (yeuch) mornings, whereas I have a strong
and steadfast desire not to emerge from beneath the duvet on a weekend
until some civilised hour. Lunchtime, for preference, but 11ish might
be manageable.

I can relate to that. I've also been off-put by the 9/9.30 am start times
that have been advertised in response to similar questions. However I would
find 10 am tolerable....

I live in East London (so, Leytonstone/Stratford/Walthamstow area) and
I'm looking for road rides at moderate pace - modulo traffic I average
probably 15-20mph on my own, for comparison purposes. "Critical Mass"
is not the answer I'm looking for here ;-)

Any pointers?

Doesn't look many so far.... maybe you'll have to be the one to start a new
group for late risers

Rich

Old December 3rd 04, 06:40 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Richard Goodman" typed

I can relate to that. I've also been off-put by the 9/9.30 am start times
that have been advertised in response to similar questions. However I
would
find 10 am tolerable....

Barnet Cyclists' rides usually start at 10am.
The afternoon is very short this time of year which is why I rather
liked early starts.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.