Greg LeMond - Inventor Extraordinaire

Old August 9th 03, 12:41 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Greg LeMond - Inventor Extraordinaire

"Heinz Getzler" wrote in message

What strange is why Lemond failed to mention the use Tri bar
extensions. This the only one he first pioneered.

The first cyclists to use them in high-level bike racing were members
of the 7-Eleven team in the Tour du Pont or Tour de Trump in 1989 --
where I think one of them used them to win the overall. LeMond was
there, saw them, and decided to use them.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

Old August 9th 03, 01:07 AM
Callistus Valerius

Only four? In an interview with a dutch newspaper he told he considered
himself also as the virtual winner of the Tour's of 1997 and 1998. So that
makes six.

So if LeMond has 6 virtual TDF wins, that makes Armstrong 1 shy of Greg.

Old August 9th 03, 04:12 PM
B. Lafferty

"CrankBreaker" wrote in message
. 78.166...
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
t:

Check this out:

http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm

Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation
1980 Superlight frame
1981 Elevated seat position
1984 Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet
1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets
1987 Carbon fork
1989 Floating pedals, aero handlebars
1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame
1992 Electronic shifting, down-loadable bike computer

snip

That takes a lot of gall.

I am not a master of the English language but I don't see the words
Invented or Patented or Architected or Built or Developed or Pooped
outta his large imagination. I do see "Legacy of Racing innovation"
which works for me as LeMond used a lot of gear in the Euro peloton
before anyone else of import and due to his stature this led to rapid
advancements that were adopted a peloton trying to figure out how to
beat LeMond. He was an early and enthusiastic adopter of technology and
techniques that the Euro community not only may have taken years to
adopt but may have never adopted. Took an outsider to do it and he did
it, kudos to him for shaking the tree. My gripe is that he didn't list
ice cream (his biggest contribution to the Peloton) or decent living
wages as some of his contributions.

Nor does he list the subtle cuisine of Taco Bell. :-)

Old August 9th 03, 04:53 PM
Carl Sundquist

B. Lafferty wrote:

With all that's on his list you'd think he was the second coming of
Tulio Campagnolo.

Lets hope not. Tullio thought index shifting was a passing fad and
put Campy behind Shimano for years.

Tullio died in 1983. Shimano didn't introduce index shifting for another
2-3 years.

Old August 9th 03, 11:01 PM
Carl Sundquist

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
"Heinz Getzler" wrote in message

What strange is why Lemond failed to mention the use Tri bar
extensions. This the only one he first pioneered.

The first cyclists to use them in high-level bike racing were members
of the 7-Eleven team in the Tour du Pont or Tour de Trump in 1989 --
where I think one of them used them to win the overall. LeMond was
there, saw them, and decided to use them.

IIRC, the US TTT squad used them in the '88 Olympics.

Old August 9th 03, 11:02 PM
Heinz Getzler

Carl Sundquist wrote in message ...
B. Lafferty wrote:

With all that's on his list you'd think he was the second coming of
Tulio Campagnolo.

Lets hope not. Tullio thought index shifting was a passing fad and
put Campy behind Shimano for years.

Tullio died in 1983. Shimano didn't introduce index shifting for another
2-3 years.

Actually index shifting was invented by Simplex almost ten years
before Shimano. What is strange they never came out with a product.
Simplex had good products but for some reason they were hung up on
using plastic parts in their derailurs.
Old August 9th 03, 11:06 PM
Carl Sundquist

"Steven L. Sheffield" wrote in message
On 8/9/03 9:53 AM, in article , "Carl
Sundquist" wrote:

B. Lafferty wrote:

With all that's on his list you'd think he was the second coming of
Tulio Campagnolo.
Lets hope not. Tullio thought index shifting was a passing fad and
put Campy behind Shimano for years.

Tullio died in 1983. Shimano didn't introduce index shifting for another
2-3 years.

Suntour introduced 5-speed "click" shifting in 1969.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/standard.xml?vpID=27

Shimano introduced their Positron index shifting in 1977, and Suntour
introduced the Mighty Click rear derailleur in 1980.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/page35.htm

Shimano didn't POPULARIZE index shifting until they introduced SIS with

the
1985 Dura Ace group.

Oops.

However (in a weak effort to save face) didn't Positron require that weird
Front Freewheel System? The crank/bb contained the freewheel and you really
could shift while you were coasting because the rear cogs were fixed to the
hub and the chainrings ratcheted around the crankset.

Anyway, thanks for the historical correction Steven.

Old August 10th 03, 12:12 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"CrankBreaker" wrote in message
. 78.166...

I am not a master of the English language but I don't see the words
Invented or Patented or Architected or Built or Developed or Pooped
outta his large imagination. I do see "Legacy of Racing innovation"
which works for me as LeMond used a lot of gear in the Euro peloton
before anyone else of import and due to his stature this led to rapid
advancements that were adopted a peloton trying to figure out how to
beat LeMond. He was an early and enthusiastic adopter of technology and
techniques that the Euro community not only may have taken years to
adopt but may have never adopted. Took an outsider to do it and he did
it, kudos to him for shaking the tree. My gripe is that he didn't list
ice cream (his biggest contribution to the Peloton) or decent living
wages as some of his contributions.

Dumbass -

He was not the first to use some of that stuff, like "superlightweight
frame" or "elevated seat position".

Old August 10th 03, 06:29 AM
Roger Ramjet

Too bad he was not allowed to strap a motor to his fat ass during the latter
part of his career. He may have won a couple more tours.

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message t...

Old August 11th 03, 01:27 AM
B. Lafferty

You are very cruel.

"Roger Ramjet" wrote in message
et...
Too bad he was not allowed to strap a motor to his fat ass during the

latter
part of his career. He may have won a couple more tours.

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message t...
Check this out:

http://www.lemondfitness.com/meetgreg.htm

Greg LeMond - Legacy Of Racing Innovation
1980 Superlight frame
1981 Elevated seat position
1984 Cycling computer, aero bike, aero helmet
1985 Oakley sports shield sunglasses, heart rate monitor
1986 Clipless pedals, carbon frames, Giro helmets
1987 Carbon fork
1989 Floating pedals, aero handlebars
1991 Road racing suspension fork, titanium frame
1992 Electronic shifting, down-loadable bike computer

snip

That takes a lot of gall.

Trek 5000 or Lemond Zurich? Rolokid General 47 July 21st 04 03:31 PM
Are Lemond frames that different? Mark Sinderson General 11 September 17th 03 09:37 PM
LeMond zeno Racing 5 July 29th 03 11:47 AM
LeMond v. Trek Bob M General 14 July 19th 03 06:42 PM