When is a century not a century?

Old August 16th 03, 11:55 PM
Fred Marx

Default When is a century not a century?

uuhhhh maybe when it's a metric?

Old August 17th 03, 12:08 AM
B. Lafferty

Sometimes it's worth the fee for the food. The Baton Rouge Bicycle Club's
Jambalaya Tours in November is well worth the cost for the food and the
riding is some of the best in Louisiana.

Your turn, Henry. :-)

"Boyd Speerschneider" wrote in message
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
:

snip

No ****. I could never figure out why people would pay $$$ to do that

when
they could ride the same public roads for free.

That's why I don't pay.
I jump in the pack a few miles after the start.
Of course, I bring my own food/drinks, so as not to cause any expense to

the
organizers.

- Boyd S.

Old August 17th 03, 12:47 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

Howard Kveck wrote in
:

snip

Well, a certain never-doped poster did mention "winning a more than a
dozen
centuries" recently, so it could have something to do with that. Win!!!
a Century! and other valuable prizes! (Sorry, Tennessee...)

So what was the prize when Never-Doped "won" a century?
A cookie, a pickle, or a button?

- Boyd S.

A Happy Meal?

--
tanx,
Howard

"Better a lapdog for a slip of a girl than a ... git." Blackadder

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 17th 03, 01:13 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

Doesn't need to be an organized century, just do 100 miles on a training
ride.

No ****. I could never figure out why people would pay $$$ to do that when
they could ride the same public roads for free.

Some people need the event to provide motivation. Or they like it
as a social event. Or chowing down at the rest stops. Or, for
the less self-sufficient, they need the reassurance of knowing
there are other riders and sag vehicles out there. Finally, they
may just want to show off their Primal Wear jerseys. (So _that's_
who buys all those Primal Wear jerseys!)

It's not really my scene, but for the average club that puts on a
century, it could be their biggest fund raiser of the year, so it's
a good thing that people want to do them.
Old August 17th 03, 04:41 AM
Kyle Legate

Robert Chung wrote:
Kyle Legate wrote:
When I run low on fluid I
hit a variety store for a large bottle of water, top up my water
bottles and chug back the rest.

What proportion of stores are open on weekends in Germany?

This I haven't been able to access directly, but in town only bakeries until
11am or so. My frame got trashed a week before I moved in a head-on with a
car, and the rest of my bike sans frame won't show up until the end of this
coming week. So until I can get another frame I won't have to think about
adapting my plan.

Old August 17th 03, 07:56 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Sometimes it's worth the fee for the food. The Baton Rouge Bicycle Club's
Jambalaya Tours in November is well worth the cost for the food and the
riding is some of the best in Louisiana.

Your turn, Henry. :-)

Don't have a whole lot to add.

I don't like eating a lot in the middle of a long ride. Food coma sets in
(blood rushing to the stomach) and I wish I was home taking a nap instead of
sitting on my bike.

Old August 17th 03, 07:56 AM
Raptor

Kyle Legate wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Perhaps I should think about changing my approach to training rides.

Like carrying food and drink with you?

I seem to need a lot more than I carry to perform well. If I'm on a
supported century ride, I eat-eat-eat and drink-drink-drink, and feel
pretty strong in the last few miles of it. The alternative on a
training ride is to hit several convenience stores on the way.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old August 17th 03, 01:25 PM
Jeff Jones

"Ewoud Dronkert" wrote in message
l.nl...
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:44:33 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
What proportion of stores are open on weekends in Germany?

For refueling on Sunday rides in Europe, you'll have to rely on gas
stations.

I actually found a supermarket that was open last Sunday. Very handy as it
was 35 degrees (again). Otherwise I stop at a vending machine and get a
coke. But if it's too hot, I've found that most likely the vending machines
are out of drinks.

Jeff

Old August 17th 03, 01:33 PM
B. Lafferty

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message ...

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Sometimes it's worth the fee for the food. The Baton Rouge Bicycle

Club's
Jambalaya Tours in November is well worth the cost for the food and the
riding is some of the best in Louisiana.

Your turn, Henry. :-)

Don't have a whole lot to add.

I don't like eating a lot in the middle of a long ride. Food coma sets in
(blood rushing to the stomach) and I wish I was home taking a nap instead

of
sitting on my bike.

The food at Jams is post-ride.

Old August 17th 03, 04:05 PM
Tom

Out in West Texas, its a tad remote, so we 'pre-position' gallon water jugs
along the route and carry extra Cliff Bars and Power Bars and Fig Bars.

Tom