what power measurement device do you use?

Old August 18th 03, 03:00 PM
Robert Chung

Default what power measurement device do you use?

James Calivar wrote:
Been re-reading Frel's training bible (latest version) and great
emphasis is made on using power mesurements as an indicator of
potential performance. Currently I only use heartrate as an indicator
of intenisty and zones for training - once a year I take a V02Max and
lactate threshold test in a lab setting - what power measuremtn devices
do you use to supplement these other tests? How expensive, and do they
work well?

http://www.midweekclub.com/powerFAQ.htm

Old August 18th 03, 05:24 PM
Jiyang Chen

"James Calivar" wrote in message

training - once a year I take a V02Max and lactate threshold test in a

lab

How much do these test cost?

Jiyang

Old August 18th 03, 07:41 PM
Sam

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message
"James Calivar" wrote in message

training - once a year I take a V02Max and lactate threshold test in

lab

How much do these test cost?

Jiyang

In conjunction with my cycling club I get a price break - $100.00 US (as
opposed to the standard $150.00 fee).

James

Are you really getting a full on VO2max test for $100? Do they hook you up
to a metabolic cart where your expired air is gathered and analyzed? Do
they take blood from your finger (or ear) and analyze it?

Just curious.

Old August 18th 03, 08:35 PM
James Calivar

"Sam" wrote in message
.net...

"James Calivar" wrote in message
"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message
"James Calivar" wrote in message

training - once a year I take a V02Max and lactate threshold test

in
lab

How much do these test cost?

Jiyang

In conjunction with my cycling club I get a price break - $100.00 US (as
opposed to the standard $150.00 fee).

James

Are you really getting a full on VO2max test for $100? Do they hook you

up
to a metabolic cart where your expired air is gathered and analyzed? Do
they take blood from your finger (or ear) and analyze it?

Just curious.

They hook me up to a ventilator and punish me for about 20 or 25 minutes,
so, yes to the first question. No blood is gathered though, so I take it
the actual blood lactate values are inferred.

James

Old August 19th 03, 12:09 AM
warren

In article , James Calivar
wrote:

"Sam" wrote in message
.net...

"James Calivar" wrote in message

In conjunction with my cycling club I get a price break - $100.00 US (as
opposed to the standard $150.00 fee).

James

Are you really getting a full on VO2max test for $100? Do they hook you

up
to a metabolic cart where your expired air is gathered and analyzed? Do
they take blood from your finger (or ear) and analyze it?

Just curious.

They hook me up to a ventilator and punish me for about 20 or 25 minutes,
so, yes to the first question. No blood is gathered though, so I take it
the actual blood lactate values are inferred.

There is a "sports testing" org near here that does something like that
and I think they charge $75-$100. They basically do a Conconi with no
blood samples and infer everything from that, including VO2max. I asked
why they don't use the proper equipment and he cited the cost of the
equipment as the problem. I didn't ask him why they don't simply refer
the person to a real lab 20 miles away that actually uses the right
equipment.

-WG
Old August 19th 03, 12:38 AM
chris

I offer a variety of test packages and services with prices starting
at $150 for a one time test session and price breaks for multiple
tests because it is more or less useless to test once per year. You
need to know whre you are periodically and where you need to be. To
see a full listing of what I offer go to championsn.com or contact me.
I don't do VO2 max testing, though, as its of little use for training
purposes, just blood lactate.

As for your question on power meters, the choice to buy is largely
determined on your budget and how serious you are in improving. If
you've trained a few years and want to know more about why you're
performing a certain way, power meter is very helpful, and for some
(pro's) almost essential.

As for what to buy, you may want to checkout the other thread on polar
HRM's as we discussed this already. However, based on what my
experience (I've used both the SRM and Power tap) and that of others,
I would avoid the power tap. SRM is a fine choice, but costly and
susceptable to some specific problems. The most promisning power
meter is the Ergomo. Its relatively unknown, but I think it will
porve to be the most accessible. Its light, Bottom bracket based and
so far shown to be very sturdy and reliable. If I didn't own an SRM
already I would buy one.

CH
Old August 19th 03, 04:53 AM
Robert Chung

chris wrote:
The most promisning power
meter is the Ergomo. Its relatively unknown, but I think it will
porve to be the most accessible. Its light, Bottom bracket based and
so far shown to be very sturdy and reliable.

Perhaps it will, but my experiences with automobiles, kitchen appliances,
cameras, computer software, computer hardware, and bike equipment have
made me wary of reliability among low serial numbers. On deeper
reflection, this rule seems to apply to girlfriends, too.

Nonetheless, I'd still like to see some comparative data. Good data
usually means the initial design was good, so you can hope the reliability
will come around as serial numbers increase.

Old August 19th 03, 10:23 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~dronkert/etc/upgrade.html