Extra Present!

Old July 14th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Default Extra Present!

So for my birthday my friend Amber took me to lunch and then to the IMAX
film "Wired to Win" about the 2003 Tour de France. Beautifully shot, but
not quite enough actual racing content IMO.

Anyway, the film starts out featuring Jimmy Casper (winner of this year's
Stage One, BTW), who unfortunately crashed very early in the going. Nasty
pile-up. After an MRI showed no structural damage, he managed to ride 6 or
7 more stages until the pain was just too much.

So what's the extra present I got? In describing his injuries, the narrator
says "Luckily, Casper's helmet does its job and he's able to stay in the
race."

Gotta love it.

All I could think about was good ol' Frank and how he'd bristle at that
remark.

It was the icing on my birthday cake. :-P

Go see the film...if for no other reason than that one line.

Bill "year older, but obviously not wiser {raspberry sound goes here}" S.

Old July 14th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bill Sornson wrote:
[...]

Hey - Happy Birthday, Bill!

Old July 14th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris Z The Wheelman

Thanks for the tip. I think I will! Are there any scenes taken "from the
bike"?

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old July 14th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I think I will! Are there any scenes taken "from
the bike"?

Not exactly (that I recall, anyway), but it's still pretty cool. Some of
the sweeping "twisting mountain road" scenes are just amazing -- pretty sure
the fish-eye effect of the IMAX camera makes it seem even wilder than it is.

The film would probably still be terrific on a regular screen, but catch the
IMAX version if you get a chance.

PS: Just remembered one shot that at least mimicked "on the bike" -- riding
through the crazed nutjobs near the top of some pass. Probably just shot
from a motorcycle, but gave a good idea what it must be like anyway...

Old July 14th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Hickey

"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Bill "year older, but obviously not wiser {raspberry sound goes here}" S.

Immaturity is a gift to be charished - enjoy it as long as you can. (I
am) ;-)

Happy birthday!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old July 14th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Mark Hickey wrote:
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Bill "year older, but obviously not wiser {raspberry sound goes
here}" S.

Immaturity is a gift to be charished - enjoy it as long as you can. (I
am) ;-)

Bod's around 75; GUQ (grown-up quotient) maybe 15.

Happy birthday!

Already deep in the next one -- aaacccckkk!

Bill "off to ride my age (plus some)" S.

Old July 14th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luke

In article , Bill Sornson
wrote:

So what's the extra present I got? In describing his injuries, the narrator
says "Luckily, Casper's helmet does its job and he's able to stay in the
race."

Disappointed I was anticipating the extra present to involve Amber
and a birthday suit! Question for rbt stalwarts to butt heads over:
What's preferable a helmet job or a helmet doing its job?

Happy Birthday!

Luke
(40 going on 14)
Old July 15th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee, Squid

Bill Sornson wrote:
So for my birthday my friend Amber

Hmm... just a friend, eh?

Bill "year older, but obviously not wiser {raspberry sound goes
here}" S.

WTF, man??? This is r.b.TECH! Where's the tech in your post???

--
Phil Lee, Squid

j/k Happy Bday... are you 61 now?

Old July 15th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Phil Lee, Squid wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:

So for my birthday my friend Amber

Hmm... just a friend, eh?

Yup. She's a sweetheart, but quite a bit older than I (she'll kill me
if...!).

Bill "year older, but obviously not wiser {raspberry sound goes
here}" S.

WTF, man??? This is r.b.TECH! Where's the tech in your post???

You'd prefer some blogpoop from some obscure site? (Exactly my point in
those /other/ threads, BTW -- don't see why all those h*lm*t flame wars
belong in tech, either!)

The film's pretty interesting -- lots of /technical/ (see?) stuff about
brains, pains and nerves (oh, my)... Would have liked a bit more cycling
content, but oh well.

Roeper and...Sorni? (Get well Roger Ebert.)