"A victory for all cyclists"

Old October 20th 10, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

Default "A victory for all cyclists"

The motorists who plague this newsgroup, and frequently insult and
blame cyclists, won't like this. I bet they will say it is OT as some
sort of lame excuse.

"Looks like we’re not a bunch of anarchist bike riders complaining
about police misconduct, after all..."

"A lawsuit brought by bike riders against New York City has been
settled for nearly $1 million.

The 83 cyclists were among hundreds arrested or ticketed in the so-
called Critical Mass rides between 2004 and 2006.

The civil rights lawsuit against the New York Police Department was
filed in 2007. Lawyers for both sides learned of the $965,000 on
Monday.

Plaintiff and riders' spokeswoman Barbara Ross calls the settlement a
victory for all cyclists.

The city's law department said the settlement was in the best interest
of all parties.

It doesn't include lawsuits filed by riders arrested during the 2004
Republican National Convention.

The participants and police have long feuded over the monthly rides
through Manhattan. The cyclists say they're harassed."

More...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dr-..._with_nyc.html

http://www.bikeblognyc.com/breaking-...ss-settlement/

http://www.ktiv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13347949

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/na...105249523.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101019/..._critical_mass

http://www.salon.com/wires/us/2010/1...ass/index.html

-- .
Critical Mass London.
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
Drivers ram cyclists because they can.
Old October 20th 10, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
maresh

On Oct 20, 6:49*am, Doug wrote:
The motorists who plague this newsgroup, and frequently insult and
blame cyclists, won't like this. I bet they will say it is OT

Correct

snip

Critical Mess London.
*http://www.criticalmesslondon.org.uk
Drivers dont ram cyclists because they can.

Old October 20th 10, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

On 20 Oct, 07:08, maresh wrote:
On Oct 20, 6:49*am, Doug wrote:

The motorists who plague this newsgroup, and frequently insult and
blame cyclists, won't like this. I bet they will say it is OT

Correct

So you are unable or unwilling to comment on this news item despite
the fact that it applies to ALL cyclists? Typical!

-- .
Critical Mass London.
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Get out of my way you f*ing cyclist"

Old October 20th 10, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_4_]

"Doug" wrote in message
The motorists who plague this newsgroup, and frequently insult and
blame cyclists, won't like this. I bet they will say it is OT as some
sort of lame excuse.

It sounds like you're fighting some kind of war Doug.

Old October 20th 10, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

On 20 Oct, 10:24, FrengaX wrote:
On Oct 20, 7:42*am, Doug wrote:

On 20 Oct, 07:08, maresh wrote: On Oct 20, 6:49*am, Doug wrote:

The motorists who plague this newsgroup, and frequently insult and
blame cyclists, won't like this. I bet they will say it is OT

Correct

So you are unable or unwilling to comment on this news item despite
the fact that it applies to ALL cyclists? Typical!

In the same way that you are incorrect in thinking that making a
statement makes it true, Ms Ross claiming it's a victory for all
cyclists is also incorrect. As it was the laws of New York city/New
York state that were challenged, it can only be counted as a victory
for people in that jurisdiction.

Therfore OT

You are completely wrong, as usual. The news of this victory was
greeted with great enthusiasm by some of my fellow cyclists here in
the UK.

Example...

"Doug, Thanks for posting that it has just made my day "

Also since CMs worldwide are similarly persecuted by police, who are
mainly in cars, I am sure the victory will be greeted with enthusiasm
all over the world too.

Don't forget either, police in many countries will maybe learn a
valuable lesson from this and behave somewhat better towards CMers in
future.

-- .
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Get out of my way you f*ing cyclist or I will ram you!".
Old October 20th 10, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 20/10/2010 07:42, Doug wrote:
On 20 Oct, 07:08, wrote:
On Oct 20, 6:49 am, wrote:

The motorists who plague this newsgroup, and frequently insult and
blame cyclists, won't like this. I bet they will say it is OT

Correct

So you are unable or unwilling to comment on this news item despite
the fact that it applies to ALL cyclists? Typical!

-- .
Critical Mass London.
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Get out of my way you f*ing cyclist"

If you wish, when I am in the pub this evening I will ask the cyclists
there whether it applies to them.
Just ask me & I will publish the results.

--
Tony Dragon
Old October 20th 10, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 20/10/2010 09:46, Peter Keller wrote:
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 23:42:17 -0700, Doug wrote:

So you are unable or unwilling to comment on this news item despite the
fact that it applies to ALL cyclists? Typical!

Not all cyclists. There are some who go out of their way to be courteous
and considerate.

-- .

snip

I would say most (if I can use central London as an exception)

--
Tony Dragon
Old October 20th 10, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 20/10/2010 16:22, Doug wrote:
On 20 Oct, 10:24, wrote:
On Oct 20, 7:42 am, wrote:

[...]

Source, just post the message ID.

Also since CMs worldwide are similarly persecuted by police, who are
mainly in cars, I am sure the victory will be greeted with enthusiasm
all over the world too.

How have you managed to evaluate that?

Don't forget either, police in many countries will maybe learn a
valuable lesson from this and behave somewhat better towards CMers in
future.

-- .
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Get out of my way you f*ing cyclist or I will ram you!".

That would depend on how CM's act, would it not?

--
Tony Dragon
Old October 20th 10, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 20/10/2010 10:19, mileburner wrote:
wrote in message
On 20 Oct, 09:30, "Mr. wrote:
wrote in message

The motorists who plague this newsgroup, and frequently insult and
blame cyclists, won't like this. I bet they will say it is OT as some
sort of lame excuse.

It sounds like you're fighting some kind of war Doug.

Its purely reactive I assure you. When they stop so will I.

I don't know why you are bothered Doug, you are not even a real cyclist...

How true, and by his own admission.

--
Tony Dragon
Old October 20th 10, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Tony Dragon wrote:

On 20/10/2010 10:19, mileburner wrote:
wrote in message

om...
On 20 Oct, 09:30, "Mr. wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

The motorists who plague this newsgroup, and frequently
insult and blame cyclists, won't like this. I bet they will
say it is OT as some sort of lame excuse.

It sounds like you're fighting some kind of war Doug.

Its purely reactive I assure you. When they stop so will I.

I don't know why you are bothered Doug, you are not even a real
cyclist...

How true, and by his own admission.

... and by his own criteria.

--