Strangest damn thing...

Old May 18th 12, 12:43 AM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
Daryl

Default Strangest damn thing...

On 5/17/2012 5:33 PM, !Jones wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2012 14:19:39 -0600, in alt.war.vietnam Daryl
wrote:

The Marines teach you to be tough, not downright mean. You are a
Hunter fan like I am. Then you read his book when he spent time
with them. Now, you can answer your own question.

Hunter and I were housemates briefly back in the '70s. It was an...
err... "interesting" time. Once, after a four-day binge, we decided
to get real jobs, so we stumbled down to the docks and asked a shrimp
boat if then needed any hands. They did. "Jump on," they said...
big, BIG mistake!!! Nothing like detox, sea sickness, and a net full
of slime all happening at once.

Jones

I met him in the 90s. Detox he needed but not for Booze.
Interesting fellow.

--
http://tvmoviesforfree.com
for free movies and Nostalgic TV. Tons of Military shows and
Old May 18th 12, 03:12 AM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
!Jones[_9_]

On Thu, 17 May 2012 17:43:51 -0600, in alt.war.vietnam Daryl
wrote:

I met him in the 90s. Detox he needed but not for Booze.
Interesting fellow.

Yeah, he always scared me a bit. It's odd to meet someone who might
be crazier than I am. At the time, I was interested in writing and
Hunter had "seen the elephant" as they say. At that time, he had
published *Hell's Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw
Motorcycle Gangs* and *Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas* and was working
on a piece about the 1972 campaign.

But, I have always wanted to write. Anyway, here's a secret, Daryl...
I'm taking the whole ****ing summer off! I have tenure, so I can do
as I please, right? Anyway, I'm going to write the *real* story about
the bees... and take a road trip to the northern prairies... I want to
see the Dakotas and on into Canada. Madison, WI is one town I'd
really like to see.

Yo... Muzi... you got any tandems for rent? We gotta have a tandem as
me stoker can't ride on her own; however, we're an experienced team...
and I've been sober since 1975.

Jones

Old May 18th 12, 03:56 AM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Write me. Mail to your address above bounces.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 18th 12, 07:50 AM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
Daryl

wrote:

I met him in the 90s. Detox he needed but not for Booze.
Interesting fellow.

Yeah, he always scared me a bit. It's odd to meet someone who might
be crazier than I am. At the time, I was interested in writing and
Hunter had "seen the elephant" as they say. At that time, he had
published *Hell's Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw
Motorcycle Gangs* and *Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas* and was working
on a piece about the 1972 campaign.

What scared the living hell out of me about him was not just his
"Fairy Dust" usage but the number of guns he popped off with all
the time. The only reason no one was killed by him in Woody
Creek was that everyone stayed the hell away from him except at
the WC Tavern. He didn't bring guns inside the Tavern.

But, I have always wanted to write. Anyway, here's a secret, Daryl...
I'm taking the whole ****ing summer off! I have tenure, so I can do
as I please, right? Anyway, I'm going to write the *real* story about
the bees... and take a road trip to the northern prairies... I want to
see the Dakotas and on into Canada. Madison, WI is one town I'd
really like to see.

Got the Western and Northern parts of Canada covered. Of course,
can't cover much of Northern Canada, it's so vast but I did visit
a couple of the Towns including Yellow Knife a couple of times.
I haven't been to the eastern part of it and I doubt if I ever
lost anything there anyway.

Spent almost 4 years rummaging around the Dakotas. The Western
side of the Dakotas is one of two things. Green and White but
never at the same time.

Old May 18th 12, 12:09 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
TOG@Toil

On May 17, 6:18*pm, "@*o*@" wrote:
On May 15, 7:06*pm, !Jones wrote:

Anyway, they were all wearing a beautifully embroidered patch on their
costumes... it said: "Lone Wolf Motorcycle Club".

Huh?

Back in the mid-1970's when everybody and his brother and sister and
grandma (!) were riding dirt cheap Japanese motorcycles, they still
wanted to look
like bikers, so they wore engineer boots and levis and cutoff levi
jackets, but, since they weren't in an MC, they couldn't wear a patch
and they all looked like they
were *prospects* for some outlaw club.

So they looked in the JC Whitney catalog for patches that they could
sew on their cutoffs which would customize them but not **** off the
1%ers.

The patches would say something like "Independant Rider," and if they
had a rocker, it would say "No Club."

Dear old Krusty still gets it wrong, non-shocker....
Old May 18th 12, 02:51 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
!Jones[_9_]

On Thu, 17 May 2012 21:56:38 -0500, in alt.war.vietnam AMuzi
wrote:

Write me. Mail to your address above bounces.

Oh, yeah... they collect spam on a newsgroup... I'm sure you know
that, though. I planned to as soon as we have a firm date.

Jones

Old May 18th 12, 03:24 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
!Jones[_9_]

On Fri, 18 May 2012 00:50:05 -0600, in alt.war.vietnam Daryl
wrote:

What scared the living hell out of me about him was not just his
"Fairy Dust" usage but the number of guns he popped off with all
the time. The only reason no one was killed by him in Woody
Creek was that everyone stayed the hell away from him except at
the WC Tavern. He didn't bring guns inside the Tavern.

Hunter was definitely an "odd duck". He was a hard person with whom
to be friends. I gave up in the early '70s. The last time I saw him
was in Austin, TX sometime in '74. I remember Townes Van Zant was
playing at a local venue; three or four of us went to hear him and
were having a quiet beer and talking. Hunter got up to go to the
men's room and never returned. I never heard from him again.

When he was sober, he did write well; however, those times were rare.
(pot/kettle/black) I haven't ever figured out exactly what "Gonzo
journalism" is or why it's worth reading. Actually, his writing would
accurately be called a "stream of consciousness" dialog.

I knew him for about a year and don't recall any gun-related
incidents. After that, he turned up in Colorado where he lived way
out in the boonies, or so I heard. I heard that there was public land
adjoining his lot with a fairly well traveled hiking trail. I heard
that everyone was complaining because he would shoot into the public
land without regard for where the bullets went... but all of that is
hearsay.

Jones

Old May 18th 12, 03:36 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
!Jones[_9_]

wrote:

Got the Western and Northern parts of Canada covered. Of course,
can't cover much of Northern Canada, it's so vast but I did visit
a couple of the Towns including Yellow Knife a couple of times.
I haven't been to the eastern part of it and I doubt if I ever
lost anything there anyway.

Spent almost 4 years rummaging around the Dakotas. The Western
side of the Dakotas is one of two things. Green and White but
never at the same time.

The wifey is from Newfoundland, so we've been to Eastern Canada over
the years. I rather liked Montreal... 'cept it's *very* gay.

This trip will be up the Rockies doing the national parks along the
way. After we've seen Banf and Jasper, we'll turn east and probably
cross into Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Did I ever tell the story about how I took the Harley Davidson gas
tank to Vietnam?

Jones

Old May 18th 12, 06:15 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
@*o*@

On May 17, 4:22*pm, !Jones wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:05:28 +0100, in alt.war.vietnam
(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

I was there.

Me, too.

Yabbot, "The Older Gentleman" was there with his Mommy and Daddy and
the Royal Marines wouldn't let him ride his tricycle out of the
embassy compound.

Old May 18th 12, 06:18 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.motorcycles
@*o*@

On May 17, 4:33*pm, !Jones wrote:

Hunter and I were housemates briefly back in the '70s.

Did HST ever get drunk and offer to give you a BJ?