A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Dura Ace Uniglide freehub lockring alternative?

Old August 28th 13, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Condor
external usenet poster

Default Dura Ace Uniglide freehub lockring alternative?

I just purchased an old 7400 DA Uniglide Hub and now converting to single speed. My question is for anyone is: Can I use with a Dura Ace track lockring on my dura ace uniglide hub?

I did some googling and the old DA Hub required the use of the threaded sprocket to hold the cassette on the freehub. The specs for the lock sprocket were 32mm diameter with the thread pitch of 24tpi.

The Shimano Dura Ace Track Lock Ring has the following specs: (1.29" x 24 TPI LH). The 1.29" came out to roughly 32.6mm.

Could I use the DA Track Lock Ring on my DA Uniglide Hub? Other than using my out sprocket to lock do anyone know of an alternative?

Thanx all

Ads
Old August 28th 13, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 8/28/2013 11:55 AM, Condor wrote:

I just purchased an old 7400 DA Uniglide Hub and now converting to single speed. My question is for anyone is: Can I use with a Dura Ace track lockring on my dura ace uniglide hub?

I did some googling and the old DA Hub required the use of the threaded sprocket to hold the cassette on the freehub. The specs for the lock sprocket were 32mm diameter with the thread pitch of 24tpi.

The Shimano Dura Ace Track Lock Ring has the following specs: (1.29" x 24 TPI LH). The 1.29" came out to roughly 32.6mm.

Could I use the DA Track Lock Ring on my DA Uniglide Hub? Other than using my out sprocket to lock do anyone know of an alternative?

Track lockrings are by necessity reverse threaded.
So, no.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old August 28th 13, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer
external usenet poster

Condor wrote:
I just purchased an old 7400 DA Uniglide Hub and now converting to
single speed. My question is for anyone is: Can I use with a Dura
Ace track lockring on my dura ace uniglide hub?

No, left handed vs. right handed thread.

Other than using my out sprocket to lock do anyone know of an
alternative?

That old sprocket is your best bet I think. Be aware that 7400 uses
a smaller thread size than non-DA Uniglide hubs.

--
Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei
Old August 29th 13, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll
external usenet poster

no prob

http://www.mcmaster.com/#carbide-drill-bit-sets/=o9m00n

wear a dust mask do it outside
Old August 29th 13, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:40:43 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
no prob

http://www.mcmaster.com/#carbide-drill-bit-sets/=o9m00n

wear a dust mask do it outside

dang

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cutoff-wheels/=o9m2wf

http://www.mcmaster.com/#grinding-bits/=o9m3j2
Old August 29th 13, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 28 August 2013 17:55:49 UTC+1, Condor wrote:

Thanx all

It seems you are chasing rainbows while your treasure is under your nose. USe what you have!
Old August 29th 13, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:55:49 PM UTC-4, Condor wrote:

Thanx all

I did something similar years ago. I didn't want a cog on the outside so I ground off all but two of the teeth of the last cog and used it. Does your DA body happen to have internal threads too?

Cheers