Can Saddles Restrict Blood Flow To Leg Muscles?

Old June 12th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Can Saddles Restrict Blood Flow To Leg Muscles?

"Steve Sr." wrote in message
Hello,

The first thing I want to say is that the saddle position and fit is
not causing and numbness issues even on 60 mile rides. However, I
think that it may be reducing the blood flow to my leg muscles.

The symptoms are a dull ache mostly on the muscles on the insides of
my legs. The ache seems to get worse with increased pedal effort. The
thing that seems to corroborate this theory is that the dull ache will
subside after standing for 10-15 seconds.

Am I imagening this effect or does my saddle have too much padding or
the wrong shape?

Could be a lot of things. Saddle too wide. Rider too far back on the saddle.
Pedals too far apart or too close together. Inadequate muscle conditioning
(it can't hurt to start an off-bike exercise program to strengthen those
muscles).

If your saddle has much padding at all, it's probably too much.

RichC