Safety tabs are filed off on race bikes for faster wheel changes.

Old April 11th 12, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Safety tabs are filed off on race bikes for faster wheel changes.

Who'd of thought? :-)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...roubaix/168490
Old April 11th 12, 10:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 01:42:12 -0700 (PDT)
thirty-six wrote:

Who'd of thought? :-)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...roubaix/168490

I've only got one bike that's new enough to have lawyer-lips, and guess
what.....

Mike

Old April 11th 12, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default A pro's tyre choice Safety tabs

On Apr 11, 10:05*am, Mike Causer wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 01:42:12 -0700 (PDT)

thirty-six wrote:
Who'd of thought? * *:-)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...re-bikes-from-...

I've only got one bike that's new enough to have lawyer-lips, and guess
what.....

Mike

At least it shows that pro-bikes don't need special fork ends, or
anything else for that matter. If a pro rider sacrifices reliability
for weight, stiffness or some other specific magical property, it's
for his personal financial gain.

Pozzato using 24mm tyres is a mystery, unless Vittoria (izzit?)
bunged him a big one to use them. They are a good choice of tyre for
training and courses including rough road but not for Paris-Roubaix
itself where speeds need to be 30mph on the pave. 24mm is certainly
enough for 22mph over the rough stuff, but I don't know how fast this
size can be pushed before losing contact or bottoming-out at around
80psi.
Old April 11th 12, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Old April 11th 12, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Van Buren

On Apr 11, 4:42*am, thirty-six wrote:
Who'd of thought? * *:-)http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...re-bikes-from-...

They may have to soon stop doing that:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...-length_209958

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7ys68db

Peter.
Old April 11th 12, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Peter Van Buren wrote:
On Apr 11, 4:42 am, wrote:
Who'd of thought? :-)http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...re-bikes-from-...

They may have to soon stop doing that:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...-length_209958

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7ys68db

Wonderful. "... to improve the safety of the riders..." Have there
really been lots of rider injuries because mechanics or riders were too
incompetent with quick release levers?

And teams "... may have to resort to redesigned quick releases that open
far enough to clear the tabs."

At which point, the lawyers will demand deeper lawyer lips; and the QR
manufacturers will design mechanism that open wider yet ... a lawyer vs.
engineer arms race!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 11th 12, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Peter Van Buren wrote:
On Apr 11, 4:42 am, thirty-six wrote:
Who'd of thought? :-)http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...re-bikes-from-...

They may have to soon stop doing that:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...-length_209958

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7ys68db

Peter.

Great. Now 9 year old retards hopped up on psychiatric
drugs can compete fairly in USCF events with assured safety.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 11th 12, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ci-to-require-...

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7ys68db

Peter.

Great. *Now 9 year old retards hopped up on psychiatric
drugs can compete fairly in USCF events with assured safety.

Except that they can't wear compression stockings or CamelBacks on
their stomachs. What a bunch of weird rules. At least the "can't file
off safety tabs" rule has an arguable safety benefit, and it could
open a whole new market for long-throw cam QRs. I'm not so sure about
the compression stocking/sock length rule.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 11th 12, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Apr 11, 5:07*pm, Peter Van Buren wrote:
On Apr 11, 4:42*am, thirty-six wrote:

Who'd of thought? * *:-)http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...re-bikes-from-...

They may have to soon stop doing that:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ci-to-require-...

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7ys68db

Peter.

Although at first look, it is a silly proposition, it's end result
should be to force manufacturers to comply to stay in the game and US
standards (whatever) to withdraw their general requirement.
Old April 11th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Apr 11, 9:51 am, AMuzi wrote:
Peter Van Buren wrote:
On Apr 11, 4:42 am, thirty-six wrote:
Who'd of thought? :-)http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...re-bikes-from-...
They may have to soon stop doing that:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ci-to-require-...
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/7ys68db
Peter.

Great. Now 9 year old retards hopped up on psychiatric
drugs can compete fairly in USCF events with assured safety.

Except that they can't wear compression stockings or CamelBacks on
their stomachs. What a bunch of weird rules. At least the "can't file
off safety tabs" rule has an arguable safety benefit, and it could
open a whole new market for long-throw cam QRs. I'm not so sure about
the compression stocking/sock length rule.

-- Jay Beattie.

At the inception of mountain bicycle racing the only rule
was, "We all start together. First guy over there wins."

I held deep respect for such an organization.

That's about the antithesis of the US tax code or UCI rules,
codes no one respects at all.