Noisy high-end bikes: because they're carbon frames?

Old April 18th 12, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Treijs[_2_]

Default Noisy high-end bikes: because they're carbon frames?

I've noticed that high-end bikes (Cervelos are common around here)
make a loud buzzing when coasting. Even when being pedalled, the noise
of the chain on the sprockets is noticeable, and that's from me on my
bike also riding along.

My theory is that larger-diameter carbon-frame tubes transmit and
radiate sound a lot more efficiently than steel or aluminum frames. I
assume the bikes are more expensively maintained than my bike, and my
bike is quiet after a pretty basic overhaul.
Old April 18th 12, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Apr 18, 2:10*pm, Ed Treijs wrote:
I've noticed that high-end bikes (Cervelos are common around here)
make a loud buzzing when coasting. Even when being pedalled, the noise
of the chain on the sprockets is noticeable, and that's from me on my
bike also riding along.

My theory is that larger-diameter carbon-frame tubes transmit and
radiate sound a lot more efficiently than steel or aluminum frames. I
assume the bikes are more expensively maintained than my bike, and my
bike is quiet after a pretty basic overhaul.

My Campagnolo 9 speed Veloce (2001) hub is noticeably noisier than the
Shimano ones on my other wheels. And that's on a steel Columbus SLX
frameset. Could it be that what you're hearing is from a Campagnolo
hub?

Cheers
Old April 18th 12, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Ed Treijs wrote:

I've noticed that high-end bikes (Cervelos are common around here)
make a loud buzzing when coasting. Even when being pedalled, the noise
of the chain on the sprockets is noticeable, and that's from me on my
bike also riding along.

My theory is that larger-diameter carbon-frame tubes transmit and
radiate sound a lot more efficiently than steel or aluminum frames. I
assume the bikes are more expensively maintained than my bike, and my
bike is quiet after a pretty basic overhaul.

The lighter and larger and more locally supple the structure of a
frame, the more it can resonate sound. But loud cassette ratchets are
currently in fashion for the overpriced wheels crowd.

Chalo

Old April 18th 12, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer

Chalo wrote:
The lighter and larger and more locally supple the structure of a
frame, the more it can resonate sound.

I noticed when migrating all parts from an Aelle frame to a Zona one
with the thin walled large diameter downtube.

Won't call it noisy, but louder.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei
Old April 18th 12, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Nope, just ****ty, loud, expensive, botique hubs. Or campy ones.

--
sig 59
Old April 18th 12, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 18, 2:10*pm, Ed Treijs wrote:
I've noticed that high-end bikes (Cervelos are common around here)
make a loud buzzing when coasting. Even when being pedalled, the noise
of the chain on the sprockets is noticeable, and that's from me on my
bike also riding along.

My theory is that larger-diameter carbon-frame tubes transmit and
radiate sound a lot more efficiently than steel or aluminum frames. I
assume the bikes are more expensively maintained than my bike, and my
bike is quiet after a pretty basic overhaul.

I've noticed this myself, but I ASSumed that the common theme was
Mavic wheels/hubs. What I've noticed was not chain noise but that the
ratchets are really, really loud, whereas my Shimano hubs are much
quieter.

nate
Old April 18th 12, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ed Treijs[_2_]

On Apr 18, 2:32 pm, Chalo wrote:
Ed Treijs wrote:

I've noticed that high-end bikes (Cervelos are common around here)
make a loud buzzing when coasting. Even when being pedalled, the noise
of the chain on the sprockets is noticeable, and that's from me on my
bike also riding along.

My theory is that larger-diameter carbon-frame tubes transmit and
radiate sound a lot more efficiently than steel or aluminum frames. I
assume the bikes are more expensively maintained than my bike, and my
bike is quiet after a pretty basic overhaul.

The lighter and larger and more locally supple the structure of a
frame, the more it can resonate sound. But loud cassette ratchets are
currently in fashion for the overpriced wheels crowd.

Huh. A lot further down on my list of possibilities was "The loud
freewheel buzzing makes me L33T!"

Certainly I'm a lot happeir now that various bearings aren't rumbling,
and my rear fender doesn't rattle on bumps due to some duct tape and a
zip tie or two. In fact, my bicycle coasting is quieter than High End
Bike riding along, it seems.
Old April 19th 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 19/04/12 04:10, Ed Treijs wrote:
I've noticed that high-end bikes (Cervelos are common around here)
make a loud buzzing when coasting. Even when being pedalled, the noise
of the chain on the sprockets is noticeable, and that's from me on my
bike also riding along.

My theory is that larger-diameter carbon-frame tubes transmit and
radiate sound a lot more efficiently than steel or aluminum frames. I
assume the bikes are more expensively maintained than my bike, and my
bike is quiet after a pretty basic overhaul.

Deep carbon rims seem to amplify gear and road noise. They make good
drums I think.

--
JS.
Old April 19th 12, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 04/18/2012 02:10 PM, Ed Treijs wrote:
I've noticed that high-end bikes (Cervelos are common around here)
make a loud buzzing when coasting. Even when being pedalled, the noise
of the chain on the sprockets is noticeable, and that's from me on my
bike also riding along.

My theory is that larger-diameter carbon-frame tubes transmit and
radiate sound a lot more efficiently than steel or aluminum frames. I
assume the bikes are more expensively maintained than my bike, and my
bike is quiet after a pretty basic overhaul.

I think it's probably the different cassettes.

My CF Tarmac with a Shimano 105 setup is quiet. The Cervelos that I
ride around are not. Most of the Cervelo riders I'm around also have
aero wheels so this tends to drown out the noise cassette spinning like
a casting reel.