speaking of Jobst

Old January 2nd 13, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Don Gillies[_2_]

Default speaking of Jobst

I guess in this case, no news is not good news. It's been about 2 years since he had a serious accident on his bike climbing up to skyline boulevard from Palo Alto. Not only did he injure his leg, but he had a stroke while in the hospital. Unfortunately, he was not wearing a helmet when this happened, it was one of his "religious beliefs" that he should not wear helmets, and I think he sustained some very permanent brain injuries.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old January 2nd 13, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/2/2013 3:51 PM, Don Gillies wrote:
I guess in this case, no news is not good news. It's been about 2 years since he had a serious accident on his bike climbing up to skyline boulevard from Palo Alto. Not only did he injure his leg, but he had a stroke while in the hospital. Unfortunately, he was not wearing a helmet when this happened, it was one of his "religious beliefs" that he should not wear helmets, and I think he sustained some very permanent brain injuries.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

It was a broken femur not a cranial impact.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 2nd 13, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...bih=6 10&bs=1
Old January 3rd 13, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 2, 4:50 pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
Don Gillies considered Wed, 2 Jan 2013 13:51:00
-0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

I guess in this case, no news is not good news. It's been about 2 years since he had a serious accident on his bike climbing up to skyline boulevard from Palo Alto. Not only did he injure his leg, but he had a stroke while in the hospital. Unfortunately, he was not wearing a helmet when this happened, it was one of his "religious beliefs" that he should not wear helmets, and I think he sustained some very permanent brain injuries.

Even the strongest believers in foam hats would be unlikely to wear
one in the hospital, where his brain injury (from stroke) happened.
Nor would many of them attempt to imply that a foam hat would make any
difference in those circumstances.

Still, bit of an ironic coincidence, don't you think?

(I, personally, do not presume to have enough information about the
particular crash or medical events to make a judgement either way, but
am glad he seems to have made it out of the woods.)
Old January 3rd 13, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/2/2013 7:23 PM, Dan O wrote:
[...]

for some definitions of "out of the woods" maybe.
I can't imagine a worse outcome.

Old January 3rd 13, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

HE DIED WITH HIS BOOT ON

Old January 3rd 13, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jan 3, 1:23*am, Dan O wrote:
On Jan 2, 4:50 pm, Phil W Lee wrote:

Don Gillies considered Wed, 2 Jan 2013 13:51:00
-0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

I guess in this case, no news is not good news. *It's been about 2 years since he had a serious accident on his bike climbing up to skyline boulevard from Palo Alto. *Not only did he injure his leg, but he had a stroke while in the hospital. *Unfortunately, he was not wearing a helmet when this happened, it was one of his "religious beliefs" that he should not wear helmets, and I think he sustained some very permanent brain injuries.

Even the strongest believers in foam hats would be unlikely to wear
one in the hospital, where his brain injury (from stroke) happened.
Nor would many of them attempt to imply that a foam hat would make any
difference in those circumstances.

Still, bit of an ironic coincidence, don't you think?

AIUI strokes are typically the result of a blood clot from the leg
being mobilised and lodging in a blood vessel of the brain. Lack of
adequate cholesterol levels are contributory to the inabilty to
protect along with other immune system inadequacies.

Old January 3rd 13, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 2, 7:35*pm, thirty-six wrote:
On Jan 3, 1:23*am, Dan O wrote:

[...]

A clot from a deep vein thrombosis in the leg lodges in the pulmonary
artery and ultimately in the lung(s). It can't get to the brain
unless there is a hole between the right and left ventricles. An
ischemic stroke results from clot in the arterial system. There is a
known stroke risk associated with hip replacement, but not from DVT.
We also don't know if Jobst had an ischemic (clot) or hemorrhagic
(bleeding) stroke. We don't even know if he landed on his head.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 3rd 13, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jan 3, 1:23*am, Dan O wrote:

[...]

yes, I'll have a sleep on that.

*It can't get to the brain
unless there is a hole between the right and left ventricles. An

there may be other explanations.

ischemic stroke results from clot in the arterial system. There is a
known stroke risk associated with hip replacement, but not from DVT.

hmm, I suspect that there is much not known.

We also don't know if Jobst had an ischemic (clot) or hemorrhagic

he appeared quite muddle-headed in this ng for at least 6 months
before his fall. He was more frequently attempting to defend
arguments unrelated to the subject presented. It was 1987 I was
first reading this ng and I couldn't put it down to his general
belligerence or developed angst towards "snipers", black trucks and
sunglasses etc.
Old January 3rd 13, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 03/01/13 15:54, thirty-six wrote:

he appeared quite muddle-headed in this ng for at least 6 months
before his fall. He was more frequently attempting to defend
arguments unrelated to the subject presented. It was 1987 I was
first reading this ng and I couldn't put it down to his general
belligerence or developed angst towards "snipers", black trucks and
sunglasses etc.

I never understood the anti sunglasses rants. Eyes are sensitive parts
and I for one prefer to wear sun glasses than not, and I have experience
of not. If he didn't want to, that was his choice.

--
JS.

Jobst Phil H Techniques 83 July 13th 11 12:53 AM
Is jobst gone? Crescentius Vespasianus Techniques 7 June 23rd 11 12:08 AM
When Jobst ... Steve Freides[_2_] Techniques 1 January 20th 11 09:28 PM
Jobst Brad Anders Racing 20 January 19th 11 05:31 PM
Jobst TriGuru55x11 Rides 1 January 19th 11 01:13 PM